FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I wanted to ask about upgrading my HD to a SSD

Post Date: 2019-11-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cirith5 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cirith5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I wanted to ask about upgrading my HD to a SSD
    Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 6:46pm
Would I be able to replace my current 2TB HD with a SSD Internal 4TB? Does name brands matter at all? I was suggested the new portable drive but I think I would benefit better just replacing my 2 TB Drive with a 4 TB SSD, I could definitely use the extra storage. I currently have a 2 TB HD and a 250 GB SSD for boot up.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:11pm
Welcome to the forumCirith5!   

What DS build do you have?   It would help in particular to know what brand/model motherboard you have.. ?

DS_Talon View Drop Down

Quote DS_Talon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:13pm
Chances are you won’t have any problems changing out the hard drive for a SATA SSD drive. 4TB drives are very expensive, but if you can afford it, you should be able to swap it out. Just about all SSD drives are faster than mechanical hard drives. Personally, I would recommend Samsung (highly reliable) but Western Digitals and others are good as well. If your considering a different brand, then a quick google search for “reviews on XXXXXX brand SSD” will most likely tell you all you need to know.
Cirith5 View Drop Down

Quote Cirith5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:19am
My Motherboard is a Prime Z350-P ASUSTeK

Edited by Cirith5 - 21 Nov 2019 at 9:19am
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Cirith5

My Motherboard is a Prime Z350-P ASUSTeK

Sorry, but I don’t find a Prime Z350P board listed on the Asus website, but if it’s an Asus Prime mobo, I’m reasonably sure you will have a few open SATA III ports on the motherboard to be able to add a new SATA III SSD.   Those available SATA ports are where you will connect the new SATA SSD drive’s SATA data cable.
There will also be a SATA power cable connection to the new SSD drive.

I was hoping to get the correct motherboard specs so I could determine if your board has M.2 Drive ports or not.   M.2 NVME SSD drives only go up to 2 GB in size at present, but are 5X faster than SATA III SSD and more simple to add...they just plug into a port on the mobo.

Most of us do find that experience with a brand name does matter for quality and reliability.   In SSD drives I would use Intel or Samsung.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:37am
I don't know if it's good news, but you don't need to replace your HDD, you can just add the SSD and use either or both. I'm sure your case has plenty of room/drive bays for more than one or two hard drives.

I'm equally sure your motherboard has more than one or two SATA ports. Just look and see where your HDD plugs into the motherboard, and you should see more ports of the same type available.

The larger the drive, the longer it takes to run maintenance on it as it fills up. (Malware scans, "garbage collection", virus scans and the like.) You might take that into consideration when you decide just how big and/or how many you want.
Cirith5 View Drop Down

Quote Cirith5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 1:57am
I purchased a evo 860 samsung ssd to go with my computer, but now I don't have the connection cables to go with it. I was curious if anyone knew what 2 cables I need to go with the SSD? Is it a esata cable? L shape connector? I see 2 spots on the motherboard, also I have no idea how to remove the casing in the bottom of the desktop computer, there's this huge plastic cover on the bottom preventing me from accessing the hard drive trays & power supply.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:56am
Again, what build do you have?

If it's a DS build, take the back off the case and you will find all the cabling they installed neatly bundled with zip ties and tucked to lay fairly flat in the space. You may well find that there are a couple of 2 1/4" SSD size spaces or slots designed into the back of the motherboard. You may use one of these. In among some of the cabling, you should find perhaps several unused power plugs like the ones you see plugged into your current hard drive. You will probably have to cut a zip tie or two to free one of those up to plug into your new unit. When I added some storage, I found DS had not sent me any extra SATA cables, (which they had no need to do), so you may have to purchase one. They are very flexible, so you may not need an L shape plug for tight spaces. That goes to a SATA recepticle on the mobo. The power cable you find will already be plugged into the power supply.

If you find things to be as described, you may not need to mess with the plastic cover at all. Whatever rig that comes with, I'm not familiar with it. It seems it would have to be removeable with a few screws, but quite a pain.

Hope it helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply