FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

i7-920 to Lynx Level 4?

Post Date: 2019-02-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Obi-Juan View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Obi-Juan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: i7-920 to Lynx Level 4?
    Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 7:36pm
Hi, all.

I currently run an almost 10-year old Digital Storm 950Si with an i7-920 at 2.65 ghz, 12 GB RAM (purchased with 6), and an eVGA GTX1070 FTW (replaced the original Zotac GTX 285 which died a few years ago). All in all, the PC still runs what I play (mainly Overwatch, WoW, the Batman Arkham series, and random other games), but occasionally FPS will drop from 100+ to the teens. For that reason I'm thinking of upgrading and looking at the Level 4 Lynx.

Do you think I'll get another 10 years of use from the Lynx or should I look at one of the customizable models? I admit, I'm old school, and miss the internal optical drive, but I can work around that. My current budget is around $2000 to $2500.

Thanks in advance for constructive responses.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:15pm
Welcome back to the forum Obi-Juan!

Lynx has a decent set of parts and hits a price point, but to do that you miss out on customization for better parts, and some features are not offered using an entry level motherboard.   I think with that budget you would be able to get into a stronger custom Lumos build with a better full feature motherboard, and faster m.2 NVME Drive1. Other upgrades & improvements become possible in the Lumos build.

Here’s a Lumos Config on budget...# 2273778.....$2545
Excellent i7-9700K 8 core CPU, free cpu stage1 overclock, RTX 2070
Solid full feature set Asus Strix-H Z390 mobo, better NVME m.2 drive1
You also get free RGB case lights

Just over budget...Lumos Config # 2273798.......$2794
adds better Corsair HD RGB case fans, better Corsair AIO 240mm cooler w longer 5 yr warranty

Move up to stronger RTX 2080...Lumos Config # 2273812.....$3173

Endless possibilities if you play with the Lumos build choices....See what you think and tinker with selections to tailor build to your price.

Obi-Juan View Drop Down

Quote Obi-Juan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 5:30am
Thanks for the response. I think I may upgrade to the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) for the bluetooth capabilities and pass on the fan upgrade. Comes in around $2749. Config # 2274133.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 5:49am
IDK what plans you have for that 1070, but IMHO you could happily use that in your new rig. It would perform great for a couple of (several?) years and save a ton of $$ for the parts upgrades suggested. It's really all you need for the games you like. Then you'd have a pretty sweet build to upgrade to whatever comes next in video cards.

At any rate, for what you play at probably 1080p, the RTX 2070 is an awfully expensive option ($611) for your budget. Definite overkill.
Obi-Juan View Drop Down

Quote Obi-Juan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 5:54am
Fair point, but this current PC is most likely going to my 20 year old nephew who only plays Fortnite. He might be able to find a cheap used card.

I currently run it with a 27-inch Acer Predator at 2560x1440 @ 144hz. Just trying to future proof as best I can like I did the last time around.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 11:58am
Sensible I idea to let your nephew keep the old build useful for longer. My old 2011 DS Ode is keeping wifey very happy now playing lighter type games and facebooking with a new 34” Dell monitor.

Yup, I like your new Lumos build with the solid Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero board!   All bells & whistles present! The RTX 2070 is the sweet spot in the RTX lineup...should play at high settings for quite a while. I think that’s the futureproofing you are after. Of course the 2080 would play ultra setting levels for longer, but the 2070 fits your budget.

Just a point on fans...I believe stock on that case includes only the front 3 case fans.   The Corsair cooler fans will be a different model, and case won’t have a back exhaust fan in place.   A fan upgrade to Corsair HD, LL, or top of line ML fans would have all 6 fan positions filled with the same matching quality Corsair RGB fans. Differences are not just cosmetic...it’s the bearings, CFM and how long you can expect them to last.   
Obi-Juan View Drop Down

Quote Obi-Juan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 1:55pm
Yeah, I'd love to go with the 2080, but as it is, I'm putting all of my annual bonus toward this PC. Inflation is a beast: current PC was $1499 which would be around $1754 today.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 3:13pm
Agree it sure isn’t getting any cheaper.... I’d say stick with the solid RTX 2070. NVidia keeps creating budget cards, but they do that by slicing off Cuda Cores and visual features.   Your new build will be a good investment that should continue to serve you just as long as the old build has. Keep us all posted!   Let the waiting & anticipation begin!
GRM421 View Drop Down

Quote GRM421 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 7:50pm
How's it going! I would go custom, indeed DS makes bad ass systems and I can agree with your debate because, that happen to me back in August last year. After 9 years my old pc crashed too bad it just wasn't the power core. Soon as I found out the issue with my motherboard being fried hell from that long time frame I was long for an upgrade. Although Digital Storm was a brand I knew about long ago I did not think twice going and this time I wanted a case that was not just plain old black. I've could've build mine all over again but really I did not have the time yet being a full time student.

This is my first post on the forums and what I bought was the Bolt X storm blue running a i7-9700k on a ASUS Z370i with the liquid cooling package, If I remember my budget was the same as yours and finial cost was about 2300 so choice if yours. Down the line if I had to buy another computer after this one goes, I wouldn't think twice choosing DS despite the little few issues I ran into because, I know this is a private company that will continue to grow.   
Chassis Model: Digital Storm BOLT X
Exterior Finish: Exotic Paint Finish - Storm Blu
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING (Intel Z370 Chipset)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 5:36am
Surprised you're at 1440p, but less surprised your CPU had issues.

Given that, you are definitely in the right place with a 2070 at your budget. It's considered the price/performance choice at 1440p. It will be a long time before that one chokes on anything. It may not play ultra on everything, but very close. Lucky nephew.
 Post Reply Post Reply