FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

i9 System Upgrade Advice Needed

Post Date: 2022-08-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DatPig View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DatPig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: i9 System Upgrade Advice Needed
    Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 2:45pm
Hello,

I would like to surprise my son with an upgrade to his Digital Storm computer he has had for four or so years now. I know he plays Fortnite in 1080 and 14400 res.

Forgive me for not knowing how to quantify DS models, but the markings I can see through the case say "Aventum 3", and on the outside by the power cable it says "RM750x".

CPU: i9 -7920X @2.90 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2
RAM: 32 GB A-Data DDR4 3200 2OZ according to Windows. 4x8GB. (DS branded, but stickers say DS4U320038G16 DDR4 3200(16) 8 GB CL 16-18-18 1.35v 10400680)
HDD: ADATA SX6000NP (512 GB)
GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8GB

It originally came with an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 AERO 8G OC, but it died so I replaced the GTX 1080 with the newer RTX 3060 Ti listed above.

I realize my son's motherboard is PCIe 3.0 and the new GPU is PCIe 4.0, but I was still hoping my son would realize some improvement in FPS that might be related to GPU processing and not throughput. His initial assessment was no noticeable improvement with the new GPU.

I wonder what the next most cost effective upgrade is that could noticeably improve FPS?

TIA
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 5:13pm
Wow, it's really surprising to hear that upgrading from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 3060 Ti didn't help performance.

I wonder if he's playing with VSync enabled, and the frame rate is capped at 60 FPS? Do you think that's a possibility?
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 2:13am
That is a very nice system and built on DS' top of the line offering. The Aventum series are exclusive designs and you cannot get them anywhere else. Don't let that go. Did you buy used?

Your cpu is better than mine (5960x) and mine still plays well (and although I don't play Fortnite, it is a gpu dependent game). I have an older system (Aventum II) and the only thing I have changed are the gpus (upgraded) and psus (had 2 and switched to one) and still maxing out the games I play. So your fps should have gone up and maybe they did but your son did not notice. Also,  JamesAstro's observation as to the games controls is valid and happens to many of us. Make sure game's FPS limits are maxed out. With Nvidia cards you turn on G-SYNC in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Right now you have all the goodies and unless you want to do a major update (r&r mobo and all) you might want to look somewhere else for hardware toys. Are his monitors high Hz ones? Capture cards...

Good luck.

Edited by hoserator - 08 Aug 2022 at 2:15am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 5:06am
I tend to agree that this system with the GPU upgrade should be ticking along well as is. Have a look here:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4090vs3603

Note the typical FPS scores for the two cards in Fortnite. Those are obtained in 1080p. The vast majority of people would not detect the difference. I've seen benchmarks at ~105 vs 127 FPS in 1440p. Again, not at all shabby, and not all that easy to detect a major difference. The difference in PCIe speeds between the motherboards isn't much of a factor, as Nvidia made sure the newer cards wouldn't outclass the older models just yet.

We are within, say, six months of a new round of GPUs and CPUs. Although the best pure gaming chip now is the i5 12600K, it doesn't beat your CPU by a wide enough margin to warrant a system overhaul just yet IMHO. The i5 Intel CPU is the beast for gaming as higher level chips don't add much of anything. CPU overkill doesn't get anywhere.

I think you're good for awhile longer until we see what's around the next corner. Look into what's on the way, and see what you think.   
petergroft View Drop Down

Quote petergroft Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 3:23am
Get the proper support for your identified Intel® products.
Step 1: Download and Run. Download the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Application. ...
Step 2: Install. Follow the on-screen prompts to install the software.
Step 3: Visit Support Assistant. Access customized driver and software updates for your Intel hardware.

Hope This Helps,
Peter
 Post Reply Post Reply