FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ideal temp when idle and gaming with i7 9700k?

Post Date: 2020-02-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
johndeniel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ideal temp when idle and gaming with i7 9700k?
    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 3:49am
So I just upgraded to a new motherboard, cpu, ram and cooler last couple days ago and I was just wondering if my new setup or should I say cpu's temp is behaving at the right phase because I'm not so sure myself either.

Idle temp is around 35 degrees
Gaming temp is around 60-70 degrees

Here are a number of games that I've tested so far too:

Devil May Cry 5: 56 degrees
PUBG: 64-72 degrees
The Division 2: 60-65 degrees
League of Legends: 60 degrees
CSGO: 65-70 degrees
Dota 2: 65-70 degrees
Grand Theft Auto 5 (Online): 60-70 degrees
Shadow of the Tomb Raider: 50-60 degrees
DOOM: 60-66 degrees
Dishonored 2: 65-75 degrees
Resident Evil 2: 50-60 degrees
Dying Light: 50-60 degrees
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: 50-60 degrees
Batman Arkham Knight: 50-60 degrees
Hitman 2: 50-60 degrees
Bioshoch Infinite: 60 degrees
Resident Evil 7: 55-60 degrees

I'm using a cooler master hyper evo 212 black edition rgb. Wondering if the temps are okay or should it be a little more cooler than this. Do I have to detach the cooler and reinstall a thermal paste, adjust the fans rpm, etc?

Edited by johndeniel - 21 Feb 2020 at 3:49am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 4:13am
Those temps are well within specs. Actually they're pretty good. The Evo 212 is a fine air cooler. You are in risky territory only when you sustain constant CPU temps up around 85C.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Those temps are well within specs. Actually they're pretty good. The Evo 212 is a fine air cooler. You are in risky territory only when you sustain constant CPU temps up around 85C.

Hey thanks for the reply. Glad that I'm doing good with temperatures so does this mean I don't have to re install some thermal paste or re tighten the cpu cooler whatsover? I'm fine for what it is rignt now?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 12:08am
You are good to go like Cretae posted. Keep playing if the temps stay in that range. Those chips tend to run warm. You might want to remove air screens, if you have any in front of your fans, to get more air flow but not required.
Enjoy. Smile 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 1:03am
Originally posted by hoserator

You are good to go like Cretae posted. Keep playing if the temps stay in that range. Those chips tend to run warm. You might want to remove air screens, if you have any in front of your fans, to get more air flow but not required.
Enjoy. Smile 

Thank you so much I appreciate it :) I don't think I'll remove any air screens for the reason that dust will accumulate faster if I do so. Btw I plugged in my case fan's wiring into cpu_op on my motherboard. You think this is a great idea or should I plug in it the cha_fan?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 2:37am
They will both work.

Using the "cpu optional"is usually used for a second fan if using an air cooler for the cpu. If for some reason that fan stops, you might get a warning since the BIOS will receive its status and assume it is not cooling the cpu anymore. The fans are not monitored if using the "chassis fan".
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 2:12am

They will both work.
Using the "cpu optional"is usually used for a second fan if using an air cooler for the cpu. If for some reason that fan stops, you might get a warning since the BIOS will receive its status and assume it is not cooling the cpu anymore. The fans are not monitored if using the "chassis fan".

Okay since you said 70-75 degrees while gaming is "good" I will take your word for it. Btw is it ideal to put the fan profile under performance mode or should I leave it as it is? I think it's on standard right now idk
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 3:37am
I believe it was Cretae who posted temperatures. Big%20Smile

Go ahead and play with the different settings, use it as you would normally and compare. Every system behaves differently.
You're doing good if you got it running after all the changes. Awesome
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 3:43am

I believe it was Cretae who posted temperatures. Big%20Smile
Go ahead and play with the different settings, use it as you would normally and compare. Every system behaves differently.
You're doing good if you got it running after all the changes. Awesome

Sounds good :) Hey btw I’m still using a corsair 230T case with mg current setup. Do you think this is also a factor for why my cpu is running at 60-70 when gaming?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 4:37am
That appears to be normal for that cooler. Remember, it is a good budget cooler not the best air cooler. That would be a Noctua. If you have concerns, save and go with a Corsair AIO.
Don't know about that case.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 4:41am
That emoji mean you're unhappy with the case or the temps? Nothing wrong with either one IMHO. Corsair products across the board have a solid rep for quality and performance.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 4:30am

That emoji mean you're unhappy with the case or the temps? Nothing wrong with either one IMHO. Corsair products across the board have a solid rep for quality and performance.
It's not that I'm not happy. I'm happy and okay with it, but not just satisfied. I happen to search around the net with other users who have the same setup as me. I ran into this guy's setup which have the same exact cpu and cooler as me but he idles around 28-33c and hits 44-55c while gaming. I mean how is that even possible? How are his temperatures twice better than mine? Unless he's lying about it but I wouldnt even consider that's the case. It just bugs me a lot. Some other people too with the same setup as me have slightly cooler temp which I dont understand at all

Edited by johndeniel - 25 Feb 2020 at 4:31am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 4:55am
The variance in computer chips themselves can explain the differences. It's been called the "silicon lottery" for decades, and it's a real thing. If it was 2x better, you'd be 88-110. Your temps are in need of no special attention because they are normal, average readings. Would you expect folks to brag about that? Of course you're going to see bragging about special cases, what else?

If you need to bring those down maybe 5C or so, get an all-in-one water cooler like hoserator suggested. The Noctua air cooler will also work. Needless waste of money IMHO, (talkin' $100+) but hey....
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 5:04am
Agree with Cretae. Not to forget environmental conditions, like having a very cold room vs a hot room, fan configuration and size and even brand, etc.
Enjoy your rig.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 5:04am

The variance in computer chips themselves can explain the differences. It's been called the "silicon lottery" for decades, and it's a real thing. If it was 2x better, you'd be 88-110. Your temps are in need of no special attention because they are normal, average readings. Would you expect folks to brag about that? Of course you're going to see bragging about special cases, what else?

If you need to bring those down maybe 5C or so, get an all-in-one water cooler like hoserator suggested. The Noctua air cooler will also work. Needless waste of money IMHO, (talkin' $100+) but hey....
Wait are you saying that I happen to have a slightly hotter chip than the usual average? I’m confused but thanks for being so techie about it. Sorry if I’m so dumb about pc and technical stuff. I’m still learning Btw I’m still using my old vanquish 5 case and out of curiosity do you think that might’ve played a part of my cpu’s temp? I mean it has drive bays at the front and optical disk drives so does that lessen the airflow inside the case by any chance? If so then I might use my tax money to buy a new case first. Because there’s no point of buying an aio atm due to my case’s fitting limitations so which means Imma have to buy a decent case first which I think will be the nzxt h510i
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 5:17am
No, I'm saying YOU"RE average that other guy is off the charts NOT average. BTW, ambient room temps are a factor. Maybe he's in Minnesota and runs his house at 60F.

Look, there's nothing at all wrong with upgrading your rig as you wish over time. All I'm trying to impress upon you is you can take your time and choose whatever suits you. There is no issue to "solve" in the near term. Be mindful of Murphy's Law when you open up your pc. (You know, "whatever CAN go wrong MIGHT go wrong"...?) Just sayin'.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 1:42pm

No, I'm saying YOU"RE average that other guy is off the charts NOT average. BTW, ambient room temps are a factor. Maybe he's in Minnesota and runs his house at 60F.

Look, there's nothing at all wrong with upgrading your rig as you wish over time. All I'm trying to impress upon you is you can take your time and choose whatever suits you. There is no issue to "solve" in the near term. Be mindful of Murphy's Law when you open up your pc. (You know, "whatever CAN go wrong MIGHT go wrong"...?) Just sayin'.
Oh okay now I get it haha. Thanks again for all this. I'm confident now that my rig is actually doing nice and it's normal for my temps to go like that specially for an i7 9700k. I trust you guys!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 3:48am
Many thanks for that confidence. We do our best to be as helpful as we can. I wish you all success as you find new ways to improve on what you have already done. There is no true standard of "perfection" because tech just won't stand still for us. Please yourself, and you'll do just fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply