FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If you are still waiting for your new Rig

Post Date: 2019-09-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NewCustomer View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NewCustomer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: If you are still waiting for your new Rig
    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 5:18pm
Don't lose hope - it will come. Stage 7 feels so good. Many apologies for the saltiness.

Edited by NewCustomer - 27 Sep 2019 at 4:09pm
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 7:18pm

Remember it’s 20-25 business days (M-F), minus the Labor Day holiday.    Should be very close to being finished.    You can email the DS Manager Alex that often lurks here on the forum.    Alex tends to get things done for customers and resolve problems...and Alex can get you the status update you are after.   

Email [email protected].    
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 10:18pm
That time frame seems pretty normal at the present. They must be very overloaded.
I placed my order on 8/14/19 and I am still in Stage 6 as of 9/26/19, 30 business days to date.
I’m not in a big hurry, but some early feelings of impatience are starting to creep into the picture.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 2:07am
You would also have valid questions about build status you could ask Alex about.   

I expect DS has a lot of builds in line and waiting for a bench space to get finished.    Here is where holding the line on quality assembly and full stress testing gets a lot of pressure from us impatient customers.   
If they try going faster, mistakes will be made...and the teams quality will slip...so that they just can’t do.    That extra care and build quality is the whole reason you buy a rig from DS...
AaronT View Drop Down

Quote AaronT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 6:35am
Today marks 30 days since my order was put in and "finalized" (aka "billed and paid"). I am in Stage 5, where I've been for more than two weeks now. I can say for sure that this poor customer service and lack of communication is the primary reason I will not be recommending Digital Storm to others or buying from them myself again.

What DS hasn't known is that I'm a journalist. I may be the first journalist to go through the order process without telling them and therefore the first one who didn't get expedited service as a result. My article won't have anything to do with the computer and everything to do with their lack of transparency, communication, and customer service.
Threetall View Drop Down

Quote Threetall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 7:28am
Ah threats...
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:15am
Originally posted by AaronT

Today marks 30 days since my order was put in and "finalized" (aka "billed and paid"). I am in Stage 5, where I've been for more than two weeks now. I can say for sure that this poor customer service and lack of communication is the primary reason I will not be recommending Digital Storm to others or buying from them myself again.

What DS hasn't known is that I'm a journalist. I may be the first journalist to go through the order process without telling them and therefore the first one who didn't get expedited service as a result. My article won't have anything to do with the computer and everything to do with their lack of transparency, communication, and customer service.

Then, again, without referring to the fact that you're a journalist, you should contact Alex and see just what kind of customer service he provides each and every 'regular joe'. If you don't get the full story, you don't have any story.... right?

Give him a chance to show you why the rest of us, even with bad rolls of the dice with components and shipping, keep coming back time and time again.
BetaSupreme View Drop Down

Quote BetaSupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 9:32am
At least you're not on Stage 2 after 30 days. Just hoping I get my PC before Christmas at this point
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 1:29pm

Hit piece...got ya...   

As soon as your own personal ego got involved, you lost any hope of portraying fairness on the subject.     Won’t matter now if this is the best computer ever made, because now you are gonna show them they didn’t know how important you were.....

The reason most of us are here on this forum is because we are all customers of DS who want to use our experience to help out other customers to get the best PC build they can.     Many of us saw delays in production of our own DS rigs.    It happens for many valid reasons, none making those waiting very happy either.    The point is that in our Amazon 2 day shipping retail culture of impatience today, a PC builder like DS making high end products by hand in the USA and submitting them to rather rigorous stress testing before shipping is an anachronism to some people.     This isn’t crap made 2 yrs ago sitting in a box on a shelf after bouncing around between warehouses.     I’m sure there are areas of the business they can and should improve upon, but building the very best high end computers is what they do quite well.     If the product you are buying turns out to be worth the wait, then perhaps the delays in production can & should be forgiven.     

I have purchased and operate 4 DS rigs since 2011...including a 2019 Lumos, all still in use 24/7 and have never failed to impress.    DS quality, durability and value is why we are all still here to help people get the best rig they can.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 4:38pm
So, we must infer that had DS known you were a  member of the very important journalist class it would have given your order the attention it so rightly deserved.

I can see why we are were we are.

Chilling

Edited by hoserator - 28 Sep 2019 at 12:15am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 4:25am
Are you unaware stage five is the most crucial stress-testing? You certainly SHOULD know this.

I guess where you're coming from, they should have ignored any issues your rig was having and rushed it out the door because...transparency. Or is that customer service?

I've now had three DS computers built and shipped since 2010. They all functioned perfectly out of the box, work fine still, and two of them I never even turn off unless they will be down for more than a day. They all passed stress-testing you see. But you're right I guess, that's not the real story here. Product, quality, attention to getting it right the first time is no where near as important as what day you get it.

As stated elsewhere, try [email protected] to see what communication and customer service actually may
exist before you just assume it's lacking.
AaronT View Drop Down

Quote AaronT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 6:21am
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Hit piece...got ya...   

As soon as your own personal ego got involved, you lost any hope of portraying fairness on the subject.     Won’t matter now if this is the best computer ever made, because now you are gonna show them they didn’t know how important you were.....

The reason most of us are here on this forum is because we are all customers of DS who want to use our experience to help out other customers to get the best PC build they can.     Many of us saw delays in production of our own DS rigs.    It happens for many valid reasons, none making those waiting very happy either.    The point is that in our Amazon 2 day shipping retail culture of impatience today, a PC builder like DS making high end products by hand in the USA and submitting them to rather rigorous stress testing before shipping is an anachronism to some people.     This isn’t crap made 2 yrs ago sitting in a box on a shelf after bouncing around between warehouses.     I’m sure there are areas of the business they can and should improve upon, but building the very best high end computers is what they do quite well.     If the product you are buying turns out to be worth the wait, then perhaps the delays in production can & should be forgiven.     

I have purchased and operate 4 DS rigs since 2011...including a 2019 Lumos, all still in use 24/7 and have never failed to impress.    DS quality, durability and value is why we are all still here to help people get the best rig they can.

"Hit piece." Ya, that's what it'll be. /sarcasm

If they cannot deliver and are failures in customer service, they deserve to have that told to the public. The intent here was to get a new system in a timely manner and do so as a standard customer would. Because I have sent emails, used the customer support form, etc. and received not just poor, but pathetically bad customer service (or a total lack thereof), that will be my writeup.
AaronT View Drop Down

Quote AaronT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Cretae

Are you unaware stage five is the most crucial stress-testing? You certainly SHOULD know this.

I guess where you're coming from, they should have ignored any issues your rig was having and rushed it out the door because...transparency. Or is that customer service?

I've now had three DS computers built and shipped since 2010. They all functioned perfectly out of the box, work fine still, and two of them I never even turn off unless they will be down for more than a day. They all passed stress-testing you see. But you're right I guess, that's not the real story here. Product, quality, attention to getting it right the first time is no where near as important as what day you get it.

As stated elsewhere, try [email protected] to see what communication and customer service actually may
exist before you just assume it's lacking.

HOW ABOUT AN EMAIL STATING WHAT WAS GOING ON? Ya, that might take too much time.

Heck, how about a RESPONSE to an email inquiry? I didn't even get that.

And you miss the entire point. I shouldn't have to come ot the forums to complain in order to get a direct customer service email to inquire. It should happen WHEN I USE THEIR ON-SITE FORMS AND EMAIL ADDRESSES. Not some mythical "Oh, this is the go-to guy" insider b.s. learned from a forum entry.
AaronT View Drop Down

Quote AaronT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 6:25am
Originally posted by hoserator

So, we must infer that had DS known you were a  member of the very important journalist class it would have given your order the attention it so rightly deserved.

I can see why we are were we are.
Chilling

I've done a lot of research into DS. Nearly every review and writeup of their systems either ignores the ordering process completely or glosses over. A few state "2-3 weeks" as their wait time. One major outlet got theirs in under 2 weeks with expedited service.

Reading these forums, I can see that's nowhere near the norm for those who don't have publicity pull.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 7:00am
In another thread, I asked if you had contacted them yet...

Originally posted by Snaike

Have you tried contacting them?

More than once. I either get boilerplate responses or nothing at all.

I would have considered off the shelf too, as I did with the notebook that replaced that CP box. But I've found myself doing video processing and that requires more than my portable is really capable of, long-term. Off-shelf systems aren't really set up for what I need.

Apparently you haven't decided it would be worth your time to contact the Customer Services Manager to get your questions answered. That's one point against you.

You said, in the other thread, that you went to another company who had the machine in stock, but now the "Off-shelf systems aren't really set up for what I need" so you order from a builder.... and then get irritated when they are building it and testing it. That's two points.

You also know, because you proven that you read the forums, that this is one of the busiest times of the year but you want your machine first because you're special / entitled. That's three.

Customers and fans of the site who hang around the forums to try to help new customers of the site (because waiting sucks) try to help you with your perspective on the new arrival only to be met with responses bordering on snarky and sarcastic. That's four.

Knowing they are extremely busy, and knowing that they are testing and building each system to the best of their ability (supposedly), you are irritated that they don't give you special attention by contacting you at every opportunity to tell you what's what with your build. That's five.

My favorite part is the coup de grâce "I am a journalist and will write of my experiences with a computer builder that will be about the lack of communication and not the machine." (paraphrase) This lands right in the "Don't you know who I am?!" wheelhouse and is just cringe worthy in today's society. In today's society everyone is a journalist, an influencer, a reviewer, a social presence, etc. To try to bring your position to bear as a "Freelancer" is almost comical. But, you'll write your story as that is what you do. Will anyone of value read it? That's a question that can't be answered.

At this point in time, AaronT you might as well call Digital Storm and ask them to cancel your order and issue a full refund. You're not going to be happy no matter the outcome. You might as well go to the other company you mentioned to get one of their "Off the shelf" systems that don't do what you need it to do, but they can get it to you in a week, because that is what you're asking DS to do.

Just my 4¢. (Prices double for "influencers".)
Tamshin View Drop Down

Quote Tamshin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 3:50pm
I'm getting excited. Made it to stage 6 today. Communication is perfectly fine for me.

Stage 1: Pending Production Aug 28
Stage 2: Inventory Assigned Sept 11
Stage 3: Initial Setup Sept 12
Stage 4: Final Assembly Sept 13
Stage 5: Stress Testing Sept 16
Stage 6: Quality Assurance Sept 28
Branseph View Drop Down

Quote Branseph Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 4:45am
I'm not saying that he's right. I just wish the website would reflect actual wait times. It'll be 20 business days on for my order on Monday the 30th. I have not even budged off of stage 2 since 3 days in.
AaronT View Drop Down

Quote AaronT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 9:13am

In another thread, I asked if you had contacted them yet...

Have you tried contacting them?

More than once. I either get boilerplate responses or nothing at all.

I would have considered off the shelf too, as I did with the notebook that replaced that CP box. But I've found myself doing video processing and that requires more than my portable is really capable of, long-term. Off-shelf systems aren't really set up for what I need.

Apparently you haven't decided it would be worth your time to contact the Customer Services Manager to get your questions answered. That's one point against you.

I see you didn't bother reading your own quotes of mine. Point back to me, point against you. Since this appears to be some kind of game.

You said, in the other thread, that you went to another company who had the machine in stock, but now the "Off-shelf systems aren't really set up for what I need" so you order from a builder.... and then get irritated when they are building it and testing it. That's two points.

You didn't bother quoting that, so you clearly didn't really read it. What I said was that something off-the-shelf was available, but not a match to my needs. I also said that the previous system I'd custom ordered was from a DS competitor.

You also know, because you proven that you read the forums, that this is one of the busiest times of the year but you want your machine first because you're special / entitled. That's three.

I also know, having read these forums, that mine is taking longer and others are far further ahead with less time waiting. The "special/entitled" thing is just an ad hominem on your part as I never brought up my being a journalist until this very thread and never implied I should get special service as a result. Had that been my goal, I would have done it far earlier in the forum commentary.

Customers and fans of the site who hang around the forums to try to help new customers of the site (because waiting sucks) try to help you with your perspective on the new arrival only to be met with responses bordering on snarky and sarcastic. That's four.

Read: Snaike is butthurt.

Knowing they are extremely busy, and knowing that they are testing and building each system to the best of their ability (supposedly), you are irritated that they don't give you special attention by contacting you at every opportunity to tell you what's what with your build. That's five.

How hard is it to set up an auto-email system that sends notes every time something happens with the system? If a build is delayed for some reason TELL THE DAMN CUSTOMER. Don't just sit on it and assume they don't care. Again, poor customer service is not made up for by "building great systems."

My favorite part is the coup de grâce "I am a journalist and will write of my experiences with a computer builder that will be about the lack of communication and not the machine." (paraphrase) This lands right in the "Don't you know who I am?!" wheelhouse and is just cringe worthy in today's society. In today's society everyone is a journalist, an influencer, a reviewer, a social presence, etc. To try to bring your position to bear as a "Freelancer" is almost comical. But, you'll write your story as that is what you do. Will anyone of value read it? That's a question that can't be answered.

Four-plus million people a day. I'm not an Instagram Kardashian wannabe. Thanks for, again, the ad hominem. All because I pointed out that other journalists appear to get special treatment (not uncommon in any business, for the record).

At this point in time, AaronT you might as well call Digital Storm and ask them to cancel your order and issue a full refund. You're not going to be happy no matter the outcome. You might as well go to the other company you mentioned to get one of their "Off the shelf" systems that don't do what you need it to do, but they can get it to you in a week, because that is what you're asking DS to do.

Just my 4¢. (Prices double for "influencers".)

I haven't publicized what I've done outside of DS and this particular order. You missed the "this is a review" bit, I see. If I cancel the order, I cannot do a review. And you have no idea if I've ordered systems from elsewhere or not for this same review. All you know is that I'm irritated at your favorite company and you're taking offense at that.

What I do know is a fanboi when I see one. Dealing with you has been like dealing with the Teslarati.
AaronT View Drop Down

Quote AaronT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Branseph

I'm not saying that he's right. I just wish the website would reflect actual wait times. It'll be 20 business days on for my order on Monday the 30th. I have not even budged off of stage 2 since 3 days in.

Best not be seen as being on my side. It's like being a Democrat in Texas. You'll never live it down.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 1:42am

Crazy
Really.
There are so many comments to make. I will default to Love. That is severely lacking everywhere nowadays. NOBODY is special, there is always someone on top and below you. You want to treat the ones under you the same way you want to be treated by those on top.

To the OP, it is a custom built system. You want it your way and that is why you are here. Usually the time estimates are spot on. During peak times (back to school, holiday gift giving) the orders increase and time estimates suffer. Oy.

I have friends that are first responders and they also feel like you "special". We know politicians are already "very special". We are now told beginning in kindergarten that we are all "special". Oh boy, with so many special people around, what are we regular folks going to do?

LoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveUpsetLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLoveLove

Edited by hoserator - 30 Sep 2019 at 1:55am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 4:13pm
Just chiming in to say we're listening and sorry for the delays. We've been working long and hard (7 days a week with some of our staff) and we're trying our best to ship orders as quickly as possible.

We are moving to a new larger facility (2x the size) in the next 1.5 months to be ready for the holiday season. This will ensure backlogs like this are no longer a problem for our customers.

I promise these type of delays will stop soon. You have my word. We don't want our customers to wait either, it''s not good for anyone.

Also, the team would love to provide more updates if possible, but with hundreds of systems and all of them have unique situations usually, it would cause us to use all of our resources with giving updates versus shipping product. However, we will work on trying to automate this as well.

I suppose the biggest hurdle is that we want to remain a speicalized company, but we don't want to become a boring big box company like Dell. That will never change, we will remain who we are and always work on getting better and faster.
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 5:25pm
I thought you move in the last couple of years.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 4:09am
Yes, we’re moving again to maintain our growth. We’ll share photos and a tour once we’re done.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:13am
Good luck on the coming move. Big%20Smile
Hope the disruption is minimal.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:02am
North? Closer to me?!??!    
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:39pm
While I’m pleased to hear my fav pc builder DS is having such retail success and growth......I am absolutely amazed DS would move again during the holiday season build up.... last year it was done in August....this time moving in November?   That’s just crazy....timing could not possibly be worse in my humble opinion!

The last pre-holiday 2018 DS move to Morgan Hill was a major reason in and of itself for holiday build delays from last year well into 2019...my own Lumos included.    While it may signal huge sales growth yet again at DS, this move does not bode well for the 2019 holiday ordering season ahead.   
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

While I’m pleased to hear my fav pc builder DS is having such retail success and growth......I am absolutely amazed DS would move again during the holiday season build up.... last year it was done in August....this time moving in November?   That’s just crazy....timing could not possibly be worse in my humble opinion!

The last pre-holiday 2018 DS move to Morgan Hill was a major reason in and of itself for holiday build delays from last year well into 2019...my own Lumos included.    While it may signal huge sales growth yet again at DS, this move does not bode well for the 2019 holiday ordering season ahead.   

These were my thoughts as well. Hopefully DS learned from the past holiday season as those were the delays I've seen from DS since I initially started browsing this forum in early 2010. That said, my guess is that they will take this into account this time around. Strong
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:19pm
This new move is happening in real time, there will be no gaps or slowdowns. Both locations will be active and running as we make the transition smoothly. We’re aware of the holidays and it’s even more crucial we do the move to ensure we can reduce backlogs.
 Post Reply Post Reply