FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Image Processing/Gaming System

Post Date: 2008-09-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rheil View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rheil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Image Processing/Gaming System
    Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 7:16pm
What a great resource this forum and community is. A very compelling reason why I'm looking at a DS system!

I'm looking for a strong PC to help manage my audio collection (60+ gigs of CD's, rip & download often), image processing (upgrade to Nikon 300 (awesome camera) and now shooting RAW using Adobe LightRoom 2.0) so doing a fair amount of image editing, the normal assortment of Office MS Apps (Word, Excel), and I do enjoy gaming (Crysis, Conan, Eve, others - I enjoy trying new games...).

So I'm looking for a strong gaming machine that also handles files well (40,000+ images and growing) and provides good audio (I listen to my collection as well as
web radio while working).

Like many here, I'd like the best bang for the buck and am not looking for a'showy' PC but one that process 16+mb image files with aplomb, plays games in near faster/best settings for the most enjoyabole experience and just doesn't get in the way - runs apps spritely.

Looking at a budget around 3k, but willing to invest a bit more if it significantly improves the usability/exeperience.

Currently use a Dell 20" monitor @ 1680 x 1050, but am looking to upgrade to a 24-26" monitor and probably run the new and old together (dual monitors) shortly (maybe at the same time).

So from the guidance I gleaned from the forums and the configuration tool I've put together a tentaive build:

Build #: 185268
http://digitalstormonline.com/doneconfig.asp?id=185268

Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) (DDR3 Only)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz OCZ
Card Reader: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive 1: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Recommended)
Extreme Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Additional Case Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Modifications: NVIDIA Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) System (Install, Test, Optimize Computer)
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
External Storage: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

So naturally any feedback and guidance is appreciated. Some of my notes (in the order they come up in the configurator):

1) I am expecting to overclock this as mush as feasible. From what I gather the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 1333 FSB is a good starting point.
2) Is 750W Corsair PS powerful enough? I might add a second video card later. The 'Silent Edition' caught my eye = the quieter the better all things be equal.
3)Memory speed - I want 4 GB (for now, I think thats all I need) but what speed? I want the memory to support as much overclocking as the processor and MB can handle-i.e not have memory be the bottleneck but not waste money on faster than necessary? I matched the memory to the motherboard FSB, is that best practice?
4) Hardrive - given all the file work I do, I want the fastest HD possible - so the WD VR 300 I think is the ticket. I'll load all applications here (Drive C:) and then use my existing 750 gb WD drive from my current machine as (Drive D:) to hold my docs, audio, and images. I mirror (via GoodSync) this via USB 2.0 to a Seagate 1 terabyte external drive so my docs/images/files are always in two places. Then again I may just add the 1 terabyte Seagate to this mix while I'm at it as drive 2 for docs. It's amazing how cheap storage has become!
5) Its not clear to be the optimum video and I'm sensing there isn't one simple answer. But the GTX 280 1 GB looks great and I can easily add a second (same model) card for an upgrade in a year if I need a video boost. Correct?
6) Upgraded the audio to recommended Razer. Currently have a 5.1 Dell speaker system. Probably upgrade speakers later.
7) Went with Air Cooled, stage 3. I am reading mixed results. I do want to overclock as much as possible (within reason) to get the most of of the system from day one... but liquid cooled doesn't seem necessary as configured? I could be persuaded, but would like not to get much more above 3k. Listening to music on my PC I do want the system as quiet as possible so noise is a factor. Some say the Stage 3 is quiet enough and they don't notice, others say its 'loud', always a subjective thing. All say liquid cooled is quieter, how much so?
8) Went with the ESA, instead of getting video/graphic boost. I don't expect to play with it a lot, I'd rather let the DS pros do that, but then again it looks like a nice ability to have. Thoughts?
9) What about the LCD Temp and fan controller... being able to better control the fans (and noise) sounds like a good investment?

Enough questions... I've tried to do some homework but greatly appreciate the fine tuning tips. I just hope to maximize every dollar in the right places and conversly not waste money on a component that won't be a bottleneck.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 7:48pm
1. its a good start but not the chip that will get you the highest results.

2. for 2 cards you want to go with a 1000w

3. yes match ram speed to fsb, you can't go wrong there

4. yes again

5. 260 is very close to 280, you won't notice much of a difference, with 2 260 cards you won't notice the differnce at all if any.

6. momobo has 7.1 audio but if you are big on audio then razer is the one to get

7. go with liquid cooling, its more, quiet, cooler, faste, stable.

8. if you don't like to mess with stuff drop esa, not a neccecity

9. if you like to mess with those controls then yes.

here you go Ticket# 185298 --- Price: $2945 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) (DDR3 Only)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz OCZ
Card Reader: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive 1: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Recommended)
Extreme Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU Only
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Modifications: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
External Storage: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

ok the above is how your system should be for optimum results and saving money.

now my recommendations:

go with 4 year warranty

if you like 2 cards go with 2 cards now (GTX 260) to run games at optimum on a resolution of 1680 x 1050 and above its good to go with 2 cards. (if you add one more card to my setup price is: $3254
rheil View Drop Down

Quote rheil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 8:13pm
Excellent tweaks, thanks DST4ME!

I think two cards from the start make sense!

Thanks for confirming and clarifying my questions. This forum has great info!

Thanks again!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 8:16pm
you are welcome, yes there are great people in this forum with great info

good luck
rheil View Drop Down

Quote rheil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 10:36am
For a dual video card setup, how do you plug in a single monitor? Does the two cards no one is master and one is slave, or something like that?
Then when you plug in two displays, the cards drivers knows to split the video chores appropriately?
Just curious how this magic works... and if there are any better/worse configurations (e.g. use both digital connectors from one card, not one on each card, etc.).
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 11:59am
Originally posted by rheil

For a dual video card setup, how do you plug in a single monitor? Does the two cards no one is master and one is slave, or something like that?

Something like that, yes. The second card mirrors the memory of the first, and they alternate rendering frames. Currently SLI does not support more than one monitor. This was supposed to change this month, but I haven't seen any release of the new drivers yet.
rheil View Drop Down

Quote rheil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 12:08pm
Interesting, then why do the cards each have two digital connectors (actually three, if you count the VGA too). That gives you four/six ports in a two card setup.

Today you only ever use one port?

But your implying that the intent is drivers will be updated to be able to use two (and perhaps all four) at once?
rheil View Drop Down

Quote rheil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 12:22pm
A follow-up, to clarify.

So today, one can have a dual display off of one card - for more screen real esate, or,
a dual card (SLI) for one display for higher frame rates?

But you can't have both at the same time?

Can you via software turn off/on SLI so you have two scenarios:
1) two screens, with each going to its own video card using a dual display idea (for screen real estate)
2) or one screen being driven by the two adapters (SLI on, for performance)
And switching back and forth - scenario 1) for office applications, video editing etc (lots of screen space) and scenario 2 for gaming (high video performance).

From other threads now I think I see why some are getting three video cards? Two for performance (SLI) on one monitor and the third for a second monitor. Am I interpreting that right?
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 12:31pm
Yes, you can disable SLI, but you can't both benefit from increased framerates at higher resolutions for gaming and still have your desktop running on a second monitor. You have to choose. The individual cards are capable of running two or more displays... hence the multiple display adaptors on the cards. Nvidia has announced it's intent to update the drivers at some point to support SLI and multiple displays at the same time, yes. That is still just a promise and a hope though. The current reality is SLI does not support multiple displays. People get triple SLI to get the best possible framerates at extreme resolutions like 2560x1600.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 22 Sep 2008 at 12:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply