Post Date: 2008-03-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jingping View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jingping Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Importance of sound card re: recording music/songs
    Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 3:59pm
Just out of curiosity, how important is the sound card in a PC when it comes to the quality of recorded music?  Recently, for a small online karaoke competition/game amongst friends, I had been recording some songs...and the quality really, really seems to suck.  I was thinking that (aside from my voice!) perhaps the issue was that I just took the basic sound card [Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio (7.1
Channel)].  Anyone know?  Thanks!
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 4:32pm
Remember that the microphone quality counts just as well. I hope your not recording from a flimsy headset mic or even those stand alone desktop mics.

If you were doing "Studio" recording, I would say yes, you're probably better off with a (high end) sound card, but I still believe the on-board recording quality is sufficient for "karaoke."

O'yeah need to point out that the onboard sound uses CPU time, so if you want the best recording quality, refrain from running other apps that might eat up CPU resources.

Edited by Duke - 17 Mar 2008 at 4:35pm
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
Jingping View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jingping Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 7:57pm
Yeah, it was a stand alone desktop mic.  What would you recommend then?
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 8:12pm
To be honest, im not up with the microphone scene, so im not sure whats what in terms of quality, but im thinking like maybe one of those full size Karaoke mics:

EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
Solo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2008 at 11:43pm
Definetly get a better microphone with an adapter/program to put it on a computer.  You'll want to spend at least 40 dollars, but you can get a good one on sale for like 10-20 dollars. 

It will outperform a desktop mic tremendously, as I have all of the above myself.

I use programs like FL Studio / Cakewalk / Acid, but im fairly confident the basic sound recorder that comes with windows can use a good microphone if its set up right.
Mythius101 View Drop Down

Quote Mythius101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2008 at 3:48am
If you are serious about recording and want a good microphone that even studios use for certain things then invest in a Shure Beta 57A.  It's the benchmark for most lower end studio microphones, and will do just fine in many environments.  You can get them for about 100 bucks if you look hard enough. 

The benefits of a standalone sound card with recording come from latency issues.  You definitely want a card that supports the ASIO driver for the lowest latency possible.

Quality is mostly based on the A/D converters (again, usually better with a standalone soundcard) and the microphone.

Vista Home Premium 32
Core 2 Quad Q6600
nVidia 680iA1
2GB Corsair Dominator RAM
2x SLI Dual GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty XtremeGamer
Jingping View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jingping Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2008 at 7:48pm
Yeah, this crappy Rocketfish mic which I got from Best Buy doesn't seem to do too good.  On the other hand, $100 is pushing it a bit...I was hoping more for the $20-$40 range, since this IS mainly just a vanity online Karaoke thing :).  Any brand suggestions for me to look into?  My knowledge in this area is virtually zero.
Mythius101 View Drop Down

Quote Mythius101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2008 at 8:23pm
I'd probably go with Ebay and try to get a used one.

Shure, AKG, and Audio Technica are 3 brands you might consider.  Also keep in mind the connectors that these use.  Most mics have an XLR connection on the back.  You will need an XLR to .25" jack cable if you want to connect it to your computer.  If you don't have a fancy front sound panel on your computer, you will probably also need a .25" to .08" adapter.  Be sure that you get a "dynamic" microphone as opposed to a "condenser" unless you are going to be hooking this up to a mixer of some sort.

If you want something a little easier, I'd just look for a decent USB microphone:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ALEUSBPODCASTMIC

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AP1RE8/macintoucwebsite/ref=nosim

http://www.amazon.com/Q1U-USB-Dynamic-Recording-Mic/dp/B000EZMYRS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205886675&sr=1-8

Edited by Mythius101 - 18 Mar 2008 at 8:32pm
Vista Home Premium 32
Core 2 Quad Q6600
nVidia 680iA1
2GB Corsair Dominator RAM
2x SLI Dual GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty XtremeGamer
 Post Reply Post Reply