FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In need of some help/advice.

Post Date: 2013-06-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Arwen View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: In need of some help/advice.
    Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 12:43pm
Hey guys,

My +6-year old Beast is getting tired and cranky, so I’m shopping around for a new gaming PC. I’m not a techie by any stretch, but I do have some idea of what I think I need (based on what I've been reading on the web for the past month or so). Yet I'm still relying on my instincts more than anything else when I try to figure out exactly what I need. There are just too many things that I'm unsure about.

Budget: $3000 (but my config attempts keep coming out a bit higher than that).

Expectations: I would like to be able to run all the current games (and flightsims) at high FPS, with most settings on max. Plus I want a system that will not need to be updated for at least a few years.

Usage: Games (I’m an avid gamer) and Flightsims (FSX, X-Plane, DCS); web design (I run a girl-gamer website and a gaming forum); modding tools, including programs for modeling and sound edits (I make huge overhaul mods for RPG games like Fallout 3).

Special Needs: Getting the best system I can afford, with all the various components well matched (making sure that no item is causing a performance bottle neck).

Saved Ticket #: 848609

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm ODE V3
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87 (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (512GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b) (Model: ASUS PCE-N15)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Stuff that I'm unsure about:
1.) What is the latency of the 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) memory?
2.) Is the 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro made up of two 8GB sticks? (I'd like to have the option of being able to add two more 8GB sticks in the future).
3.) Will the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU cooler fit ok in the Digital Storm ODE V3 case?
4.) Is the Corsair Vengeance Pro memory compatible with the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU cooler (as in, can all 4 memory slots be populated, without having to remove the memory's heat spreaders)?
5.) Why are the DS Graphic Cards "!SPECIAL:" only available for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 cards? [What about the superclocked versions of the 770 and 780 card?]
6.) How would I benefit from getting Microsoft Windows 8 Professional over the regular version of Windows 8 (64-Bit Editions)?
7.) Is there anything that is going to be a performance issue (as in, not being able to keep up with everything else)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited 7/12/13 [now includes my latest build, along with my latest questions].

Edited by Arwen - 12 Jul 2013 at 8:07am
~ Arwen ~
Nerek387 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Nerek387 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 2:14pm
-Sabertooth does not have wireless no.
-Go with the corsair dominator 1600mhz, 1833 and 2133 are more expensive for the little increase in performance you will get, also you don't want to OC your memory. No need to.
-if you NEED windows 8 get Pro if not stick with Windows 7 Pro
-800w are you going to SLI in the future?
-your build is good, no bottlenecks which would slow performance
-if your not building a liquid cooled system, make sure you check out reviews as far as fan and coolness of the case your getting..
-Corsair 900D
-i7 4770K OC 4.5GHz
-Asus Sabertooth
-16GB Corsair Dominator 1600
-GeForce GTX 770 SLI
-Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB
-WD Black 1&2TB HDD 7200
-DS Custom CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling System
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 10:16pm
Consider a ASUS Z87-Deluxe if you want built in wireless
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 5:36am
Originally posted by Nerek387

-Sabertooth does not have wireless no.
-Go with the corsair dominator 1600mhz, 1833 and 2133 are more expensive for the little increase in performance you will get, also you don't want to OC your memory. No need to.
-if you NEED windows 8 get Pro if not stick with Windows 7 Pro
-800w are you going to SLI in the future?
-your build is good, no bottlenecks which would slow performance
-if your not building a liquid cooled system, make sure you check out reviews as far as fan and coolness of the case your getting..

Thanks so much for your reply. :)
- From what I have read in posts on the flightsim communities, memory speed does make a difference (along with its latency ... which is why I asked about the latency of the Digital Storm Certified Performance Series). Flightsims like FSX and X-Plane 10 are a different best than games, when it comes to memory and stuff. I would pick even faster memory if I could afford it.
- Why should I pick an older OS for a new PC? From what I've read, WIN 8 is actually a bit faster than WIN 7 (and 8.1 fixes most of my initial concerns). What I'm wondering is how would I benefit from getting the Pro version over the regular version. I mean, it costs $52 more . . . so what makes it so much better for someone like me?
- Oh, I never considered the extra power for SLI! I currently have no plans to use it, but I may want to add another 780 in a few years, and I did make sure that the motherboard is compatible. I'll change the Power Supply to 1050W. Thanks for suggesting that!
~ Arwen ~
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 5:42am
Originally posted by ScottishBattleAx

Consider a ASUS Z87-Deluxe if you want built in wireless

Thanks, but the ASUS Z87-Deluxe is not offered in the config menu. The only choices are:
- ASUS Sabertooth Z87
- ASUS Gryphon Z87
- ASUS H87I-PLUS
- ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME (which I can't afford)
- ASUS Z87-C
- ASUS Z87M-PLUS
~ Arwen ~
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 9:19am
Hi Arwen ...  You put together a real nice rig.  For wifi it would be the Deluxe, special order, or the more expensive Extreme 4.  Cheaper to do what you did, and just external dongle or internal board.

Here's another config to check out.   I dropped to the i5-4670k chip to save money.  The Hyperthreading in the 4770k is little used, especially for gaming.  It does help in some apps and probably a few games but the difference is small.

I dropped to the 1600Mhx ram.  Other then synthetic benchs, the real world difference is little or nothing.  If others are saying they see a difference then maybe so, but is it a modern cpu/mobo combo?  Can't say for sure.  Go with your gut on this one. 

I dropped to the smaller Gryphon mobo.  It allows sli but not another card like the WiFi at the same time so I changed to the usb dongle.

A lot of this change was to get you a sli, gtx 770 setup for a bit less than your single 780.   Sli 770 will play great on pretty much any single monitor.  No need to add another card later, plus the 1050HX is a great psu.  sli 770 is much better performance than single 780. 

Config # 845094       Cost $ 3128

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm ODE V3
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Gryphon Z87 (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Thermal Radar) (MATX)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (512GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless USB 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Nothing wrong with your build and the gtx 780, but this is another way to go for sli, a better psu without sacrificing much of anything.

Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Jun 2013 at 9:19am
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Arwen ...  You put together a real nice rig.  For wifi it would be the Deluxe, special order, or the more expensive Extreme 4.  Cheaper to do what you did, and just external dongle or internal board.

I wish Digital Storm would add the Asus Z87-Deluxe to their standard config choices. Its only ~$30 more than the Sabertooth (the $45 special order fee currently makes it an overly expensive option).

Here's another config to check out.   I dropped to the i5-4670k chip to save money.  The Hyperthreading in the 4770k is little used, especially for gaming.  It does help in some apps and probably a few games but the difference is small.

My main reason for the i7-4770 is that X-Plane 10 apparently really benefits from hyper-threading. This one was a tough decision, as the i5-4770 is $132 more ... but some X-Plane 10 users convinced me that the performance increase was worth the extra cost.

I dropped to the 1600Mhx ram.  Other then synthetic benchs, the real world difference is little or nothing.  If others are saying they see a difference then maybe so, but is it a modern cpu/mobo combo?  Can't say for sure.  Go with your gut on this one.

My instincts are pushing me towards the 1866MHz ... my choice of the Corsair is because the Digital Storm Certified Performance Series memory specs never give what its latency is ... which I'm pretty sure is just as important as its speed.

I dropped to the smaller Gryphon mobo.  It allows sli but not another card like the WiFi at the same time so I changed to the usb dongle.

I tend to fill up USB slots pretty fast (headset, joystick, keyboard, mouse, steering wheel, pedals, and my ipod). Plus I'd much rather go with a wifi card. My cable modem and router are a ways from where my PC is located, and I also need to connect to a wifi printer.

A lot of this change was to get you a sli, gtx 770 setup for a bit less than your single 780.   Sli 770 will play great on pretty much any single monitor.  No need to add another card later, plus the 1050HX is a great psu.  sli 770 is much better performance than single 780.

I really appreciate your efforts, and I did consider going with two 770 GTX's. But then I learned that when you SLI two cards, your VRAM is not actually doubled, so I would end up with only 2GBs, where the 780 gives me 3GBs (and 2GBs of VRAM is not quite enough for some flightsims, if you want to use the highest meshes and textures). EVGA recently released their 770 4GB Classified version, which I would perhaps consider, if it was offered in the config (and then I could add a second one when I could afford it).

Thanks sooo much for all your suggestions!
~ Arwen ~
Nerek387 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Nerek387 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 7:44pm
So. why did you ask our advice if you knew all along the system you built was what you exactly wanted? lol
-Corsair 900D
-i7 4770K OC 4.5GHz
-Asus Sabertooth
-GeForce GTX 770 SLI
-WD Black 1&2TB HDD 7200
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 3:36am
Arwen... You've certainly done your homework.      X Plane 10 is one of the few games, the other being Skyrim, that might use more vram effectively.   I've never been convinced the extra vram actually increases frames but is a caching task because its there, but I could be wrong. My only other thought is to consider the level 3 ODE as a place to start.   X Plane 10 appears to love as many cpu cores as you can throw at it, unlike the poorly optimized FSX and relatively light weight DCS titles which I've played on max with an older gtx 560.   The i7-3930k chip is 6 core and 12 hyper, the 4770k is 4/8 core.    Also, the x79 mobo is a quad channel ram board vs x87 dual channel ram.    Much higher bandwidth.   But, and heres the rub, more $$$ by a few hundred.     Might be worth decreasing SSD and HDD size to make it work.   Alot easier to add a drive later.

Just some of my rambling for you to consider.    Either way, you have a sweet rig in the works.

Good luck.
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Nerek387

So. why did you ask our advice if you knew all along the system you built was what you exactly wanted? lol

Because I don't know that. I'm not comfortable with everything that I've learned in the last few weeks. There's a LOT of conflicting information out there . . . so my confusion level is still greater than my confidence level. At this point, I only know enough about computer hardware to be dangerous (to myself, and to others who take my very limited grasp of this stuff as gospel).

Gaining a little understanding about the individual parts in a system is not the same as understanding how well all the parts will (or will not) work together. You don't learn the latter in an Internet crash course. I came here for advice because there are people here who are much more knowledgeable about hardware than I am.

And I've already received some really good advice here, and I've made a few changes to my config, based on that advice ... for which I'm very grateful. :)
~ Arwen ~
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 4:54am

Arwen... You've certainly done your homework.      X Plane 10 is one of the few games, the other being Skyrim, that might use more vram effectively.   I've never been convinced the extra vram actually increases frames but is a caching task because its there, but I could be wrong. My only other thought is to consider the level 3 ODE as a place to start.   X Plane 10 appears to love as many cpu cores as you can throw at it, unlike the poorly optimized FSX and relatively light weight DCS titles which I've played on max with an older gtx 560.   The i7-3930k chip is 6 core and 12 hyper, the 4770k is 4/8 core.    Also, the x79 mobo is a quad channel ram board vs x87 dual channel ram.    Much higher bandwidth.   But, and heres the rub, more $$$ by a few hundred.     Might be worth decreasing SSD and HDD size to make it work.   Alot easier to add a drive later.

Just some of my rambling for you to consider.    Either way, you have a sweet rig in the works.

Good luck.

Thanks! I had originally considered another AMD system (which is what I have now), because of additional cores. But I decided to got with an Intel system this time, as the current consensus is that Intel systems run games a bit better. When I first looked at the Intel 6-core systems, I was put off by their higher price.

But now I've ended up with a config that is not the much less, so I guess I need to do a bit more homework and see what I can come up with and then try to figure out if the addition costs might be worth the performance increase.

My biggest issue is that I've already gone over my budget. So whichever way I go, I have to follow your suggestion, and go with smaller hard drives. Or I may just wait another month or so, until I can afford to spend a bit more, and get exactly what I need instead of compromising.

Patience is not something that I'm at all good at, and I've been wanting to upgrade my PC for 18 months (I actually ordered a new PC in Dec 2011, but it arrived broken ... twice. That made me so frustrated with the entire process that I just gave up.)
~ Arwen ~
Subxero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Subxero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 3:01pm
Arlen- I originally ordered my system in April. The cases were back ordered so it gave me some time to rethink my configuration. Getting the best you can afford is usually the way to stay ahead of the obsolesce curve. CPU , main board and GPU are the most difficult to settle on. I blew my budget by getting 2 Titans instead of 770 or 780.
Good luck and happy flying when you get to the right rig for you.
Hail Storm II level 3
Intel Core i7 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
32GB 1866MHz Platinum DHX
1200W Corsair Pro
2x SLI GeForce 980ti XSPC Razor WB
2x XSPC Razor Backplate
XSPC Photon 270 Reservoir
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 4:00pm
Thanks, Subxero. :)

I just finished trying out a Sandy Bridge-E (i7-3930K) config, and it ends up being about $400 to $500 more expensive than my Haswell config (i7-4770K), which ends up being more than I really want to spend on a system. Plus I'm not convinced that I'll notice much of a performance difference when playing games/flightsims. And the Sandy Bridge-E will be outdated in just a few months, when the Ivy Bridge-E comes out.

So I'm going to stick with the Haswell . . . unless I change my mind again.

I'll likely also stick with the Corsair 800W power supply. While it would be nice to have the option of being able to add another 780 GTX in the future, I know that I would likely never do that (at least not for a few years). Right now I'm thinking that I'd be better off upgrading to the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked with EVGA ACX Cooler (which ends up being about the same cost). It's about 9% faster than the regular 780.

I may also end up with a smaller SSD (and add another one in the future). It will all depend on what I can afford at the end of the month.

You can go crazy trying to make a system "future proof," which is really not possible . . . no matter how much you spend. My current system is a Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core AM2 5200+ @2.6GHz, with 4GB of system memory, a GeForce GTX 260 GPU, running a 32 bit version of Vista . . . so I know that I'm going to see a HUGE improvement, not matter how much I tweak this. I do want the best system that I can afford (which is why I asked for advice here), but I don't want to have to wait too much longer, just because I configured a system that I cannot really afford.
~ Arwen ~
Nerek387 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Nerek387 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 4:03pm
You did alot of good research, which is always great! I did everything possible before coming on here to ask for advice or call Customer care for DS. 4470k 780 800w psu 2133mhz ram ssd and however youd like to cool or case.. good build overall.
-Corsair 900D
-i7 4770K OC 4.5GHz
-Asus Sabertooth
-GeForce GTX 770 SLI
-WD Black 1&2TB HDD 7200
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 6:28am
Thanks Nerek387, before posting here I emailed customer service with my biggest configuration questions (and received answers to most). My cooling and other specs are all listed in my original post in this thread, but I'm still a bit lost about the overclocking/cooling part (see below).

=========================================================
Guys,

I'm still struggling with how much I should have my 4770K overclocked (along with what cooler I need).

My config (the one in my original post) included:
- Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
- Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition).

I've read that Haswell has some overheating issues, so I'm a bit wary of having my system overclocked too much (because I need it to last me a long time, and I want it to be very stable). But I have no idea what is a safe overclocking amount for the 4770K (I've attempted to research this, but there are so many conflicting views that I still have no idea what to do).

I really don't want to go higher than H2O: Stage 2 liquid cooling. But do you think I would be ok if I went one step higher, or is it safer to stick with my current config? This is what I mean by "one step higher" :
- Boost Processor to Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz.
- Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition).

Edited by Arwen - 02 Jul 2013 at 6:34am
~ Arwen ~
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 7:54am
Hi Arwen...  I would keep the stage 1 oc and keep the Vortex 120 or even better, if in the budget, get the H100i.  The difference in performance between 4.4 and 4.7 oc is very small and does generate more heat for little gain.  The H100i is a better rad, fans, etc and the 240mm rad will give you more headroom .  

Actually, in my opinion, and what some of us suggest all the time, is to get the Noctua D14 air cooler.  Its huge, bulky looking but gets the job done , quietly and with little to go wrong.  Its reputation is excellent.  But, the sealed units like Vortex and H100i have a very good reputation, and are increasingly popular.

Edited by bprat22 - 02 Jul 2013 at 8:02am
Subxero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Subxero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 8:17am
Arlen - from what I have heard on the over clocking of the new Haswell chips is that they don't take to it very well. You don't have to over clock! The Haswell improves performance mainly in laptops. I had a q6600 Intel core 2 quad that performed really well, until the mother board blew. If you need guidance I would recommend Gerado in sales. He is very good, and will look out for your best interests.
Hail Storm II level 3
Intel Core i7 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
1200W Corsair Pro
2x XSPC Razor Backplate
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 9:19am

Hi Arwen...  I would keep the stage 1 oc and keep the Vortex 120 or even better, if in the budget, get the H100i.  The difference in performance between 4.4 and 4.7 oc is very small and does generate more heat for little gain.  The H100i is a better rad, fans, etc and the 240mm rad will give you more headroom .  

Actually, in my opinion, and what some of us suggest all the time, is to get the Noctua D14 air cooler.  Its huge, bulky looking but gets the job done , quietly and with little to go wrong.  Its reputation is excellent.  But, the sealed units like Vortex and H100i have a very good reputation, and are increasingly popular.

Thanks so much for replying! I'm going to follow your advice and stick with Stage 1 OC and upgrade to the H100i. My only concern in switching to a top-mounted radiator is that it replaces the Corsair Graphite's 200mm top fan (where the Vortex 120mm Radiator would replace the case's 120mm rear fan).

The Noctua D14 scares me, in that it is sooo massive! I would worry that it would wreck the motherboard during shipping. On my last attempt to upgrade my computer, my new PC arrive damaged ... twice! (From a different company.) The FedEx gorillas are really klutzy around here.
~ Arwen ~
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 9:25am
I have the noctua in my system and the system arrived perfectly fine. Course it was through USPS

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 02 Jul 2013 at 9:26am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 9:41am
I do understand the concern of losing the top 200mm for the H100i, but the rad does have 2x 120mm fans side by side blowing out the top, so still good air flow. 

The Vortex 120 would probably work just fine, DS will test to be sure, so ..tough choice.  The Corsair H100 also carries , I believe, a 5 year warranty. 

You can also ask DS , for the ODE 600T case, to include an extra side mesh panel, for free,  that would replace the acrylic window. You get both.   It swaps easily, I have it, and it allows up to 4x 120mm fans.  You probably will not use it, but just a thought. 

Just for kicks, Big%20Smile have you checked out the Dreadnought's HafX case.  The best for air cooled systems with front 230mm fan and side panel200mm and top 200mm fans.  Very quiet with slow moving fans.  Just one of my random thoughts.  Hahaha
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Subxero

Arlen - from what I have heard on the over clocking of the new Haswell chips is that they don't take to it very well. You don't have to over clock! The Haswell improves performance mainly in laptops. I had a q6600 Intel core 2 quad that performed really well, until the mother board blew. If you need guidance I would recommend Gerado in sales. He is very good, and will look out for your best interests.

Again, the issue is with flightsims, which have to process a LOT more textures and meshes than any game. If I was only setting up a system for games, I would save some money and just get a i5-4670K and not overclock it. All I'm hoping for is a 4770K, overclocked to 4.3GHz or so. Thanks for the tip on contacting Gerado in sales. BTW: my name is Arwen (I wouldn't mind the mistake, but Arwen is my real name.)

Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

I have the noctua in my system and the system arrived perfectly fine. Course it was through USPS

Thanks, but you haven't met my FedEx gorillas. My last computer arrive with both hard drives rattling around loose in the case, and the graphics card had nearly flattened out its PCI slot, bending it over on top of the motherboard. I cried when I opened the box and saw the damage.

Edited by Arwen - 02 Jul 2013 at 12:14pm
~ Arwen ~
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 2:22pm

I do understand the concern of losing the top 200mm for the H100i, but the rad does have 2x 120mm fans side by side blowing out the top, so still good air flow. 

The Vortex 120 would probably work just fine, DS will test to be sure, so ..tough choice.  The Corsair H100 also carries , I believe, a 5 year warranty.

I think that I should probably upgrade to the H100i, as it would keep the the CPU a bit cooler (and that is my biggest concern).

You can also ask DS , for the ODE 600T case, to include an extra side mesh panel, for free,  that would replace the acrylic window. You get both.   It swaps easily, I have it, and it allows up to 4x 120mm fans.  You probably will not use it, but just a thought.

I saw on the ODE V3 case's overview that it includes both the window panel and the mesh panel. I didn't realize that I had to ask for it ... thanks for letting me know that!

Just for kicks, Big%20Smile have you checked out the Dreadnought's HafX case.  The best for air cooled systems with front 230mm fan and side panel200mm and top 200mm fans.  Very quiet with slow moving fans.  Just one of my random thoughts.  Hahaha

I considered the HAF X, but I really like the Corsair case. My current PC is a big full tower, that I can barely lift (forget trying to actually lug that thing anywhere), so I would much prefer to get something a bit smaller (and lighter!) this time.
~ Arwen ~
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 2:31pm
I have the 600T White case, one of the first ODE configs from the summer of 2011. Its a real nice case. Go for it.   
Nerek387 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Nerek387 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 5:20pm
Arwen, if your only going with Stage 1-3 h2o cooling I recommend also the Stage 1 OC you'll prob get around 4.0-4.2. If you decide to go with a higher end liquid cooling system, you can do Stage 2. Mine was tested and stable with Stage 5 cooling i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz
-Corsair 900D
-i7 4770K OC 4.5GHz
-Asus Sabertooth
-GeForce GTX 770 SLI
-WD Black 1&2TB HDD 7200
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 7:03am
Thanks bprat22 and Nerek387, :) I've been busy with company and work so haven't been able to focus on my config until just recently.

Last night I spent some time reading reviews of the Noctua D14 SE2011 and now I'm considering adding one to my build (instead of the Corsair H100i). The thing is, I'm only going for the Stage 1 CPU Boost, and I'm just not totally comfortable with liquid cooling systems, so this seems like it might be the best choice for me after all. I was initially turned off (make that "shocked!") by how massive the Noctua is, and am still concerned that it could damage the motherboard during shipping. I'm about as far from Digital Storm as you can be, while still being in the US, and my previous system (from another company) arrived damaged twice (I never gave them a third chance).

Here are my remaining concerns about the Noctua D14:
1.) Does DS do anything special to secure the Noctua D14 during shipping?
2.) Will it fit ok in the CORSAIR Graphite CC600TW case?
3.) My final concern is that the Noctua D14 will not allow room for the Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX memory (because of the memory's heat-spreader). So I would need to change to a low profile memory stick. The only issue it that none of the "Digital Storm Certified Performance Series" gives its latency . . . and I really hate not knowing exactly what I'm getting.

Edited by Arwen - 09 Jul 2013 at 7:04am
~ Arwen ~
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 7:44am
Yes it can fit in the 600t case(seen videos) and it was confirmed on here as well. Also whatever they put in the case will secure it during shipping in my case it was secure. My case has the noctua and it arrived perfectly fine with what i guess was a bubble shipping bag. I guess the type of material they put inside the case depends on the configuration of the build.

Also it will not harm the motherboard at least in my experience it didn't.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 09 Jul 2013 at 7:50am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 8:43pm
Thanks, ArkansasWoman777, that makes me feel much better.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with the Noctua D14 cooler (I'm just hoping that FedEx is a bit gentler this time).

I had also picked Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX memory, but apparently that will not fit under the Noctua (because of the heat spreaders). But I recently found out that the Corsair Vengeance Pro memory should fit, and that is an easy compromise (as the Dominator memory is a bit expensive).
~ Arwen ~
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 8:11am
I just updated my first post so that it now includes my latest build . . . along with my latest questions (which I repeated here:

Stuff that I'm still a bit unsure about:
1.) What is the latency of the 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) memory?
2.) Is the 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro made up of two 8GB sticks? (I'd like to have the option of being able to add two more 8GB sticks in the future).
3.) Will the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU cooler fit ok in the Digital Storm ODE V3 case?
4.) Is the Corsair Vengeance Pro memory compatible with the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU cooler (as in, can all 4 memory slots be populated, without having to remove the memory's heat spreaders)?
5.) Why are the DS Graphic Cards "!SPECIAL:" only available for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 cards? [What about the superclocked versions of the 770 and 780 card?]
6.) How would I benefit from getting Microsoft Windows 8 Professional over the regular version of Windows 8 (64-Bit Editions)?
7.) Is there anything that is going to be a performance issue (as in, not being able to keep up with everything else)?

~ Arwen ~
Subxero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Subxero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 8:27am
Your best bet Arwen is to email management or call the sales line. You can get emails confirming their statements. Good luck!
Hail Storm II level 3
Intel Core i7 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
1200W Corsair Pro
2x XSPC Razor Backplate
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Arwen

I just updated my first post so that it now includes my latest build . . . along with my latest questions (which I repeated here:

Stuff that I'm still a bit unsure about:

I actually answered number 3, here is a youtube link that shows the Noctua in the 600t case, now the 600t in this video is the black version. Hope this eases your mind. As far as the other questions go i recommend you call DS and ask them.

Sorry i forgot to post the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVrnhM629x8

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 12 Jul 2013 at 9:12am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 9:09am
For the graphics cards they do not specify specify specific models because they stock different brands at different times...probably dependent on the best price they can get for each batch. So... It is a case of "you'll get what you're given", eg an MSi, EVGA or whatever they have.

If you want to be specific you can do so but it will be classed as a special order and incur a fee of $90 extra per card. At least that's what I was told when I asked for a 780 EVGA SC ACX. You should ask them for any specific card you are considering.

They are listing the 680 deal right now because they must actually have stock of that card they want to shift.

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 12 Jul 2013 at 9:13am
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 5:41pm
Thanks everyone, I emailed my questions to Alex.
~ Arwen ~
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 8:05am
Here are the answers that I received from Digital Storm to my above questions (just in case anyone else has similar questions):

It is CL10-11-11-30 Voltage is 1.65

We use 2x8GB ram sticks. This leaves you with the option to upgrade to 32GB of ram.

While the NH-D14 does fit in the case, the size of the cooler limits the type of ram you can use. You need to use a low profile ram like the DS certified.

The Corsair Vengeance Pro is not compatible do to the size of the heat spreaders.

This was the only question that I received conflicting answers to. When I use the "Have a Digital Storm technician review your customized configuration and contact you during business hours:" form, with my build that included both the Corsair Vengeance Pro memory and the Noctua NH-D14 the technician replied:
Your configuration looks great and compatible.

Plus, on the NH-D14 RAM Compatbility page, the Corsair Vengeance Pro series is listed as being compatible (without removing the heat spreader bar). The regular Corsair Vengeance sticks (the non Pro series) are however listed as not being compatible.

The GTX 680 cards are marked as special because we are in the process of discontinuing the cards. As for the 770 and 780 super clocked cards, we will begin offering them once the cards are available as a regular product and not on a limited quantity.

The biggest difference between 8 and 8 Pro is the networking ability. Pro allows you to connect to more networks at the same time, good if you are in an office environment. Plus it allows for remote connection to your system.
~ Arwen ~
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 8:54am
Thanks for the feedback.  The difference in answers concerning the Noctua d14 with taller heat spreaders might be because of the number of ram sticks.  With two sticks, as in your build, the front fan can be biased away from the mobo to clear the sticks.  My A70 cooler's front  fan is done this way, offset by 20mm,  and works with no issues.  It doesn't have to be flush on top and bottom to cooler to work.

However, if you add another 2 sticks, then that's where the Noctua metal fins overhand the first slot, requiring a lower profile stick.  

You could ask them again, and verify whether that's the case.  

Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 10:12am
That may be the reason, but if that is true, Noctua should not have these RAM sticks listed as being compatible. Plus I was just looking at a review of the ASUS Maximus VI Extreme motherboard, and it they actually used BOTH in their testing, as shown in these two images:
http://www.pcper.com/image/view/25152?return=node%2F57333
http://www.pcper.com/image/view/25153?return=node%2F57333

Yes, it's a bit tight, but it seems to work just fine. It's no big deal, but now I'm having second thoughts about using the Noctua cooler, if it makes things this tight. And just when I thought I was done with having to make any more decisions about this!
~ Arwen ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>