FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In the market for a new PC

Post Date: 2012-10-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dgriletz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dgriletz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: In the market for a new PC
    Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 2:29pm
Hello all, looking to possibly purchase a new system and looking for some advice.

Budget:
$1,500 - 2,400

Expectations:
Good price/performance ratio
Fast, stable, reliable, high fps

Usage:
General 1920x1020 Gaming primarily
Not looking to go with 3D at this time
Web, Photoshop, some CAD software usage

Special Needs:
Not sure that it's relevant, but I currently have a somewhat older LG 1920x1080 monitor that I've managed to tweak to run at 1920x1080x78HZ, and up to 85HZ at some lower resolutions. I love higher refresh rates, and am looking to get one of those newer 120hz monitors along with a new pc. Considering a BENQ 120hz from newegg. Just to confirm.. Monitors like this do full 120hz right? As in, they accept a 120hz input video card, not some sort of framerate doubling like an HTDV might have?

For reference, every other system in the past I've built myself. My current system was built over 5 years ago and I'm long overdue for an upgrade:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
EVGA 8800 GTS 640MBGDDR3
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB)
2 x RAID 0 - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000

I've been doing research the past couple of days to try and figure out what I want,

I'm really leaning against doing the whole build-it-yourself thing this time around. Sure it's great if everything works smoothly with no problems, and can save some money, but I think I'd rather have a quality system built, tweaked and tested by a good company that will stand behind and support the product if anything *does* go wrong. Just not interested in all the potential headaches and work involved with setting everything up.

Anyways, here's what I've got so far. Any recommendations appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Saved Ticket #: 734604

Processor:
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz

Motherboard:
ASUS P8Z77-V LX

System Memory:
8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Power Supply:
800W Corsair GS

Hard Drive:
2x Corsair 240GB Solid State RAID 0

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB FTW Overclocked EVGA
-----------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts/questions:

CPU:
Not the fastest there is, but fast enough without costing top dollar.

MOTHERBOARD:
Looks perfectly fine for what I need. Really not sure on the differences between all the boards though.

RAM:
8GB is a hell of lot more than the 2GB I have now. What's the real benefit of 16GB, does even 8GB get fully utilized? What about the different speeds. How much of a difference is a 1600 vs 2000 in overall system performance?

STORAGE:
HD vs SSD... Raid 0, or don't?

I'm pretty sure I want all SSD with no hard drive at all other than an external backup drive I already have. Splitting things up between a fast main drive and a storage drive seems like a hassle and I think I'd rather just have one decently sized, fast SSD for everything. I don't use tons of space.

Is the 2 x 240 GB SSDs in Raid 0 a good choice and worth the price? I'm assuming this would be a very fast setup. Main drive on my current computer has 2 x 150 GB WD Raptors in Raid 0.

VIDEO:
Card seems to be a good balance of price and performance for my needs.

Thanks in advance
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 3:37pm
Hi dgriletz,

You are in luck with the SSD in RAID-0. In August Intel finally released the new RST RAID Driver 11.0 that supports TRIM in RAID-0. Up to then there was no TRIM support for RAID-0. It is a mistake to have RAID-0 with out trim.

So if you get a series 7 chip set with RST/RAID support then the SSD RAID-0 will work with no block problems in the future. You need Win-7 to the latest specs or Win-8 when it comes out.

This is really new and AnandTech tested it using Samsung 830 SSDs. I haven't seen any other test except for AnandTech. You better make real sure that the SSD you select is supported for RAID-0 with trim or don't get RAID-0.

Even though you have all of this super fast load times with RAID-0 you will only notice it with start up and program loading. When gaming you won't see this blazing speed unless you change maps or something that uploads new data to memory. The game is played from the memory and these supper speeds will seldom be notice once the game is loaded.

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply