Input on gaming rig much appreciated

Post Date: 2010-07-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SuperSoldier1 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Input on gaming rig much appreciated
    Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:44pm
Hey, and thanks for any advice in advance. I am looking for a gaming computer that also will be used for everyday tasks. The build I made is at the upper end of my budget, and any way to save some money without sacrifice in performance would be appreciated. I am hoping to play Crysis on Ultra on a 1920 x 1080 monitor. If what I have now won't get me up to that power, let me know that too.

Ticket Number: 424212
Total Price with Instant Savings: $5,565.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=424212

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (128GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: CMFSSD-128GBG2D)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (PhysX Tech.) (EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1482-AR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: Touch V12XT Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:58pm
lots and lots of overkill, but hey, if you have the money, its all you.
at least get the intel SSD over the corsair

what are you doing that makes you want a hex core anyway?

keep in mind that crysis was designed in a really clumsy way, you see it as a common benchmarker becuase it is so hard to run maxed out... but thats because it uses resources in a sloppy way, not becuase it looks that good

your gpus are super overkill for a monitor that size
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:04pm
Keep in mind that Crysis is a horribly unoptimized game that takes ridiculous amounts of video card power to 'max'. For example at the resolution of 1920x1080 a single GTX 480 can run every single game currently out except 2-3 with max settings and achieve around 60 FPS or more. But those few games like Crysis and Metro 2033 will give you 20-30 FPS at high anti-aliasing settings. It takes 2-3 480s in SLI to get those two games up to 60+ FPS with full AA settings, OR you could just save the extra $500-1000 and play them just fine with everything maxed except the AA settings.

So point is, don't use Crysis as a metric for configuring a system, you'll waste thousands of dollars just to be able to play one extra game with marginally higher settings.

Also, hexa-cores will not help gaming at all. So waste of money there if you're just making a gaming rig.

You have a lot of other wasteful and unhelpful things selected as well. You'll want something more like this for a baseline.

Ticket #424216, Price: $2449

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

OS/apps and a few games on the SSD, rest of the games/music/movies/media on the HDD. If you want more room for games pick the larger 160GB Intel SSD. Do not pick any of the non-Intel SSDs offered by DS, they are all total crap with literally 8-10 times worse small file performance than the Intel offerings.

I know your budget was a lot higher but again this will already max every game currently out at 1920x1080 except Crysis and Metro 2033, and you only have to turn down one setting on those games to run them buttery smooth as well. This is at the point of diminishing returns and you just can't get much more performance without significantly inflating the price, and for gaming this would have zero benefit anyway. Better to just save the money and couple years down the road if the need develops add in a second 480 or swap out the current one for a better video card altogether. The larger 1250w PSU will allow you that optional expandability.

You may also want to consider the 2 year parts warranty for +$99 or the 3 year parts warranty for +$199, both are great deals for the price.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Runes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Runes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:05pm
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=424215

No need for a hexacore for gaming at all. Honestly, on a 1920x1080, you don't even need two 480's except on Crysis if you want to run maxed.

I left out all the bells and whistles (and forgot the sound card, doh) that are just extra costs, so you can add those back in as you like. LC isn't really necessary unless you want to be overclocking at the enthusiast level as well. If you want it for looks, that's an entirely different game we're playing.

Processor: !PROMOTION: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:05pm
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=424217%20
$1500 less, you would not see 1 fps difference in crysis
and you can overclock the crap out of the 480s since they would be on water, which means this would outperform that system, and do it quieter, and for less money.
more storage space
more gaming power
1500 left over to get yourself a new monitor that deserves 2x 480s
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:06pm
that will play Crysis. Big%20Smile
Crysis uses 2 cores

Edited by justin.kerr - 21 Jul 2010 at 11:08pm
Runes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Runes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:08pm
As an aside, might I suggest spending some of the money you save toward a really nice monitor since you're willing to spend that much anyway?
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by !ender_

chanman View Drop Down

Quote chanman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:13pm
yeah.. major overkill here. generally, once you get past around 3K, the amount of extra performance you get out of it for the money you put in it goes way down. The 2 480's are definitely overkill, as is the Hex core, unless you have a good reason for it. You probably don't need that powerful of a PSU either. Could get away with a 1000 watt i think.

However, if you save some of that cash, and get a nice monitor, you might want the 2 480's

Edited by chanman - 21 Jul 2010 at 11:16pm

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:28pm
Ok, I see where you're going. Drop the CPU to a quad. I think I'll stick with 2 video cards though.

1) Motherboard, how much difference do the options make?
2) I'm guessing the audio card isn't worth it from your builds, how much difference does it make?
3) cooling, what should I do about that?
4) Power. I will OC if I see the need for the extra performance.

Ticket Number: 424223
Total Price with Instant Savings: $4,238.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=424223

Specifications:
Processor: !PROMOTION: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 975 3.33GHz (Quad-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (PhysX Tech.) (EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1482-AR)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Edited by SuperSoldier1 - 21 Jul 2010 at 11:30pm
Runes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Runes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:36pm
All the 900-series quad cores are the same product with different factory settings, so drop your 975 down to a 920. DS will overclock the 920 up to 3.8 or 9 for you whichever one you choose.

Same thing with the 480's. Just buy the regular version (if you want the brand, go for it), and let DS do the overclocking for you.

I'm not sure about the mobos.

Edited by Runes - 21 Jul 2010 at 11:42pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:37pm
Ok, I see where you're going. Drop the CPU to a quad.
and you managed to choose the only worse processor option, lol

that depends on what you will use it for, but the better the board, the better it will handle your overclock

2) I'm guessing the audio card isn't worth it from your builds, how much difference does it make?
id hardly say an audio card isnt worth it. they are just trying to save you some money, but over 3k, its almost rediculous not to get one. Granted, i have not checked out the audio on the upper 1366 boards, but i doubt its any better

youre over 4k and still air cooling everything, i think this is a really bad choice. really bad. especially if you are going for video power

4) Power. I will OC if I see the need for the extra performance.
i dont know what you mean by this
re read my 11:05pm post, or the 4th one down from yours

Edited by !ender_ - 21 Jul 2010 at 11:38pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by SuperSoldier1

Once you get the core basics covered, almost none at all. Unless you are pushing for record setting overclocks and have extra special voltage needs and extra chipset cooling because of it.

In other words, don't worry about fancy motherboards and drop back down to a EVGA x58 LE.

That depends. Are you an audiophile, do you have a good set of headphones or speakers to pair with one?

One of the Noctua air coolers for CPU is plenty. No need for add-on video card cooling, their cool themselves just fine.

Processor: !PROMOTION: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 975 3.33GHz (Quad-Core) (Extreme Performance)

So you know Intel Core i7 920, 930, 940, 950, and 960 processors are the all the exact same chip, some are just factory overclocked a tiny bit and Intel charges hundreds of extra dollars for it, go figure. They all overclock exactly the same and perform exactly the same at identical overclock settings, as they are indeed all exactly identical chips.

The 965 and 975 will also perform extremely similar to the above at the same clock speed, but do have a few tiny advantages such as higher memory bandwidth so they will outperform slightly in a benchmark or two, but only by an extremely small amount. They are a complete sucker buy, not even remotely worth the extra +$750.

So just go with a 920 instead. (These are no longer in production and were succeeded by the 930, but DS got some more in stock again, hurray!)
Lilim

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 8:45am
Ok, i7 920 it is. I plan to OC it to around 4Ghz, so what cooling, PSU, and motherboard would be good for these needs? Also, you say to just have them OC the cards or do it myself, is that the best choice? Also there seems to be a normal GTX 480 and if I remember correctly a special EVGA one, worth it? Thanks for everything so far :)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 8:51am
Originally posted by !ender_

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=424217%20
$1500 less, you would not see 1 fps difference in crysis
and you can overclock the crap out of the 480s since they would be on water, which means this would outperform that system, and do it quieter, and for less money.
more storage space
more gaming power

stay away from the evga, the only bonus you get is the step up program, which is unlikely to be of any help in your case

Edited by !ender_ - 22 Jul 2010 at 8:51am
chanman View Drop Down

Quote chanman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:46am

Ok, i7 920 it is. I plan to OC it to around 4Ghz, so what cooling, PSU, and motherboard would be good for these needs?

If you want at or over 4Ghz, you're going to need the stage 3 or 4 liquid cooling. I'm not sure how much the benefits are of those, as i haven't had the money or desire to get a pc with liquid cooling.

a 1000 watt PSU would probably be fine. I would say 750, but i'm not sure if that can handle 2 480's, so just to be safe. As for mobos,if you plan on doing 3 or 4 way SLI in the future, or want USB 3.0 or Sata 6GB/s, which I've heard don't do a lot, you need to get one of the more expensive ones that support that. If not, i'd go with the EVGA LE edition SLI.

Edited by chanman - 22 Jul 2010 at 10:49am

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 11:19am
So I'm looking at this now. Dropped almost 2k, nice.

Ticket Number: 424289
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,871.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=424289

Specifications:
Processor: !PROMOTION: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)  
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: FrostChill Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Runes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Runes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 11:43am
You definitely should be getting a 1250W PSU for 2 480s.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 12:00pm
i would likely go for the 1250 psu also

but more importantly, it looks like you took twice the SSD space and removed the liquid cooling from both gpus.
i would seriously consider water cooling those 480s if you want any chance at a good overclock on them without a hassle.
the ssd "main drive" is only supposed to be for windows and your main applications, like photoshop, aftereffects, office programs, etc.  (NOT games) its super unlikely that you will have 160gb worth of programs like this.

id spend the money on water cooling the 480s for sure, youre already 2k under budget anyway, why give up power where it matters the most? like i said, this will allow you a lot more space for an overclock on the gpus

other than that, youre looking really good, much better than when we started :)

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 6:16pm
Ok, I upped the cooling to cover dual cards, 1250 PSU, lowered the SSD capactity. Any other comments? DS wouldn't send me an email so you'll have to look up 424395. I'll update if the email works.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 6:22pm
oh you dont need an email, just click "load config" at the VERY top of the webpage

looks freaking great

the only other thing id suggest is to consider getting the trim paint blue, (option at the top of the config page). if you dont, it will look like this NOT like the picture on the configuration page. obviously this is cosmetic, just wanted you to know that it does not come with the blue trim

Edited by !ender_ - 22 Jul 2010 at 6:24pm

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 6:25pm
can you try the link again? it takes me here: http://www.dvhardware.net/images/love.png
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 6:26pm
yea, fixed

stupid people annoy me with thier stupid link redirects

Edited by !ender_ - 22 Jul 2010 at 6:27pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 6:37pm
If you have the budget go with the 160Gb Intel...If I did not game with SSD's I would not have them at all..My main work PC does not have SSD's... not that I can't afford them, but it offers me next to no gain, in day to day work.
 SSD's and gaming goes together like peanut butter and jelly.

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 6:41pm
Thank you. OK, I'll post what I have and give it a bit of time to see if everyone agrees with us.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=424402

I upped the SSD to 160Gb. For an extra $200 I feel it's worth doubling the SSD space.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=424403

Edited by SuperSoldier1 - 22 Jul 2010 at 8:17pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 6:50pm
Why again are we going with water cooling?

Whoopty-do you can overclock them a little bit more with water cooling. For hundreds less you could just add on an entire extra 480.

And again, for 1920x1080 resolution anything over just a single 480 is a waste anyway. Hurray for wasting money!
Lilim
TrakDay View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote TrakDay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 6:50pm
I feel like a baby reaching for a bottle... I want I want.  That is basically what I built, but with the extra 480 and LC, which I decided to wait and upgrade to in a year or so. 

Very nice.  I think you have it pretty well sorted out. 

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

Why again are we going with water cooling?Whoopty-do you can overclock them a little bit more with water cooling. For hundreds less you could just add on an entire extra 480.And again, for 1920x1080 resolution anything over just a single 480 is a waste anyway. Hurray for wasting money!

You say no to the LCing for the cards. I get that it's a lot but I also know these cards run HOT. If I don't need the cooling, I save money and great, but if I need it the I'm SOL. I am not denying what you're saying, maybe drop the LC and add a card for less in total, but will all this run too hot then?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 7:00pm
depends on the game..there is at least 10 games that a single GTX 480 at that res will not run smooth on max settings, and there is a lot of games coming out in the next 6 months that I bet a couple will also need more than one GTX 480 to run at max settings. So if the person plays those games, then yes a GTX 480 will gimp them, if they want to play easier to run games, then one is plenty.

LC..that is a luxury, no doubt. quiet, cool, long lasting, highly overclockable GPU's sound great, but there is a large cost, and has to be done right in order to achieve those goals.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 7:11pm

You say no to the LCing for the cards. I get that it's a lot but I also know these cards run HOT. If I don't need the cooling, I save money and great, but if I need it the I'm SOL. I am not denying what you're saying, maybe drop the LC and add a card for less in total, but will all this run too hot then?

LCing is never needed, never. You could run triple SLI 480s and still not need LCing. The only reason for LCing is additional cooling for extra high overclocks.

And to reiterate, again, for a resolution of 1920x1080 anything more than a single 480 is currently a waste of money.

The problem is that the video card industry is a very fast moving technology, and with it the gaming industry as they'll always push the limits of current video cards.

You can't reliably future proof video cards without wasting a huge amount of money, the technology is just advancing much too fast with better ones constantly coming out and prices always plummeting. So get what will max everything at 1920x1200 now (a 480) and then a few years down the road upgrade when needed, either by adding in a then cheaper second 480 or by replacing it with another new card altogether. What you can future proof to help with this is the power supply, selecting the 1250w for example will let you use two 480s if needed down the road or two other similarly high power demand video cards altogether. You could even select something like the 1500w for the option of triple SLI 480s, but the problem is that by the time you would ever get to the point of needing that much gaming power there will be much much better video cards out anyway.
Lilim

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 8:13pm
So with the current build I have (yes, SLI 480s) and the expectation to OC the processor to about 4Ghz, what cooling would you recommend?
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 8:49pm

So with the current build I have (yes, SLI 480s) and the expectation to OC the processor to about 4Ghz, what cooling would you recommend?

The Noctua NH-D14 is the best air cooler here, so you'd wanna get that. You can get 4ghz on that cooler.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 9:08pm
IDK if you are going to go for that 4g oc on your own, but I sure wouldn't pay for it. DS has been pretty consistently getting 3.9 lately on air, and it's free. Another .1-.2 isn't likely to be very noticeable.
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 9:10pm
Wasn't going to pay for it. I am just asking what cooling solution I should use if I do go that high on my own.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 9:23pm

A Noctua NH-D14 for the CPU. That's it, nothing else, video cards already come with their own air cooling systems built in and need no additional aftermarket cooling unless you try to push high overclocks out of them.

You'll notice from my signature that Lilim is running 4.2GHz on a Noctua NH-D14, and maxed out at 79°C during a 24-hour Prime95 stress test. This is a stock NH-D14 in a stock HAF 932 case and an ambient temperature of 72°F, nothing special done. Mileage may vary of course, but 4.0GHz should be easy peasy with any 920 or 930.

And her stock 480, in said stock HAF 932, idles at 32°C at 50% fan speed and hits a max of 79°C at 79% fan speed under load (using this fan profile). Not even remotely close to their rated max of 105°C, thats a whole 26°C to play with.

Higher end video cards like the 480 use closed case air cooling, in that they are sealed and only have two openings, one opening with an intake fan that sucks in cool air from inside the PC and blows it across the card's internal heatsinks, and the second opening that is an exhaust port on the back of the card which exhausts the warm air completely outside the back of the PC. So don't expect much of a rise in temperatures from running multiple 480s, 2-3°C at worst.
Lilim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>