FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Installing more Storage Lynx Model

Post Date: 2021-09-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mtl3326 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mtl3326 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Installing more Storage Lynx Model
    Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 6:37pm
Hello all,

About a year ago I bought the Lynx model from Digital Storm with 300 GB storage, and I've reached the point in my gaming career where it's time to update the storage

What do you recommend as an easy to install, and cost effective? I'm clueless.

I am NOT computer savvy (hence why I opted to buy a pre-built gaming PC vs building my own)
mtl3326 View Drop Down

Quote mtl3326 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 6:58pm
Lynx level 2
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700F (4.7 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.0 GHz (Not Overclockable)
Motherboard: ASUS / MSI / ASRock (Intel Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 8GB DDR4 Digital Storm
Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 8:59pm
There are many youtube tutorials on extra storage installation and the requisite power plugs are (usually) already in your case. Having said that, if you want really easy and cost effective you could look into external HDs... which are generally "plug n play"...

Personally, I would look into installing an SSD, or if your mobo is capable, an NVMe drive. Nothing better than getting your hands in the machine and figuring out which part goes where. I, too, am fairly illiterate when I got my machine, but I've added new GPUs, SSDs and 2 fans all with the help of the great folks that hang around these forums.

Good luck!!!!   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 10:51pm
Welcome to the forum. Smile

Adding an SSD/HDD is fairly easy and easier still if you do as Snaike suggested and go with an external usb drive. Let us know how you will proceed and there are very capable members that will assist. Awesome

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 4:05am
Probably best for you as an internal device would be a nice, big SATA III SSD. 2 TB paired with your 2TB HDD should last you the life of your machine and then some. There are lots of good brands available for about $200 or a bit less. Samsung, Crucial, WD (Western Digital), Seagate and many others are solid. Just pick one that suits you and read the reviews to see if it measures up.

The first thing you can do is look around inside your machine to see where it would go. Some motherboards these days have one or two convenient 2.25" indents in the back of the motherboard where an SSD will fit. That's convenient because the two necessary cables are bundled together nearby.

Unplug your computer, hold down the start button for about 5 seconds to discharge any capacitors that may have a bit of juice stored, and remove the back panel to check what's there. Be sure to touch metal on your case to ground yourself before you touch anything inside. If it's like I described, look at the cables hooked up to your hard drive, and look for another pair or two bundled nearby with cable ties. Those will be your power source and your SATA information exchange with your motherboard. If you don't find the indents, then you will use what ever kind of rack or "drive cage" your HDD is mounted in.

It's not too hard because you just mimic what the mechanical hard drive hook-up looks like. If it seems too much, get in touch with Best Buy or a local computer shop, and see what they charge for installation of an SSD you buy from them. It shouldn't be much, and if it is, shop around.
 Post Reply Post Reply