FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Installing new SSD

Post Date: 2020-05-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dak Kruller View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dak Kruller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Installing new SSD
    Posted: 12 May 2020 at 12:23pm
I'm looking at the Samsung 970 PRO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe on amazon to be my new SSD. I've been watching tutorial videos on how to install it but I haven't found anything giving me an easy explanation. I saw a video explaining how to migrate data from the old ssd to the new using the samsung migration software, but I don't see any tutorials of how to install the new ssd with a digital storm vanquish.

In the software migration video the guy just plugged in the new ssd into the motherboard, and just ran the software migration program. No cables or anything. In a different video showing how to install the ssd, the guy had cables and confusing things.

Basically to sum it all up. I need a step by step guide of how to install the samsung 970 pro ssd 1tb m.2 nvme into my Digital Storm Vanquish 7 level 4.

Thanks!
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2020 at 12:35pm
Installing an M.2 SSD is as easy as can be. All you need to do is remove the heat sink cover if one is installed; insert the male end into the female connector; and screw the other end into the board.

Here is a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCIqZjo34rw

A SATA SSD is a little more involved in that you will need to connect both the power and SATA connectors. The SATA connector goes from the SSD to the motherboard; the power connector goes to the power supply.

Here is a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JOxKSkkdMM

Edited by GrandesBollas - 12 May 2020 at 12:36pm
Dak Kruller View Drop Down

Quote Dak Kruller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by GrandesBollas

Installing an M.2 SSD is as easy as can be. All you need to do is remove the heat sink cover if one is installed; insert the male end into the female connector; and screw the other end into the board.

Here is a short video:

A SATA SSD is a little more involved in that you will need to connect both the power and SATA connectors. The SATA connector goes from the SSD to the motherboard; the power connector goes to the power supply.

Here is a short video:

Thanks! He mentioned that bracelet and screwdrivers. Is that to prevent shorting the PC or getting shocked or something like that? And should I get them or am I ok to to the switch with no problem?
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2020 at 1:31pm
The bracket for the SATA SSD (2.5") is to mount the drive to an existing 3.5" HDD bay. Screws are mentioned in the M2 SSD installation for installing. Want to tighten the screws without stripping or damaging either the SSD or motherboard.

Whenever you install drives, make sure you have disconnected (unplugged) AC power. It's always a good practice to have a grounding strap to prevent inadvertent static shocking.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2020 at 6:11am
After disconnecting power, depress the on/off button on your case for about 5 seconds to discharge any capacitors that could want to bight you. A strap is good, but you can ground yourself adequately just touching a metal case. Just don't shuffle your feet on the carpet after grounding.    
Darth Mando View Drop Down

Quote Darth Mando Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Cretae

After disconnecting power, depress the on/off button on your case for about 5 seconds to discharge any capacitors that could want to bight you. A strap is good, but you can ground yourself adequately just touching a metal case. Just don't shuffle your feet on the carpet after grounding.    

would metal keys or like a backplate of expansion card work?

i have my 970 evo but im afraid of touchign the motherboard.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:09am
Keys should be fine. Have them out of your pocket. It's not likely you would be statically charged, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.   
 Post Reply Post Reply