Post Date: 2012-12-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Installing new video drivers
    Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 9:48am
I'm embarassed ask.... In the old days, it was considered a good idea to remove old video drivers before installing a new one? Is this still the conventional wisdom, or have things improved to the point where you can install new Nvidia drivers on top of an old one?
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 10:04am
I've never had a problem installing New on top of Old.  Some suggest selecting the custom install and selecting remove all old files, or something like that, but I haven't done that either. 

Of course, now that I said that, next time my system will go belly-up. Hahaha
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 10:36am
I do the same, loading new on top of the old drivers. I believe NVidia now recommends that method - just loading the new video drivers as bpratt22 and myself do - as an easy way to keep older drivers readily available to revert to if things don't go well. Works for me....
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 10:58am
Yes, things have gotten better with installing drivers. You can usually install your new drivers over the old and not have any problems. The one thing I do not like with these new drivers is the account it creates and binds the nvidia update to it. Even if you choose not to install the check for new updates, it still creates the user account.

Edited by JerryW - 20 Dec 2012 at 11:00am
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 12:17pm
I also install new NVIDIA drivers over the old with no problems.
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 5:41pm
Guess I'm the outcast. I always go to Programs and Features in Control Panel and uninstall the current nVidia driver before I run the executable file for the new. Interestingly enough I have never had trouble until the new version was posted this week, 310.70 and then I had a very bad experience. I uninstalled the driver and rebooted. Notably the screen resolution did not change when I came back to Windows, usually with the driver gone it drops to the lowest possible resolution with the VGA driver and everything is huge - icons, text and windows. I went ahead and installed the new driver anyway and at reboot after the Windows 8 logo appeared the screen went black and just flashed between black and gray. Lasted indefinitely in this limbo no matter what I did. I'm guessing it was forever trying to load the video driver without success. After a period of panic, I ended up plugging the monitor into the integrated port on my motherboard, removing the nVidia GPU from the slot so the motherboard and Windows would not see it, and then rebooting. Fortunately Windows loaded the Intel video driver and I had my display back and could see what I was doing. I went to Programs and Features again and uninstalled all nVidia software . . . everything. Shut down the machine, put the nVidia card back in the slot and plugged the monitor back into the GPU. When I turned the power back on Windows came up in the VGA mode as usual with everything huge. Ran the executable file again and reinstalled the same version, 310.70. When I rebooted and came back to Windows all was fine again.
Not a pleasant experience . . . I thought Windows was corrupted at first. Not sure what I would have done if I didn't have a graphics chip integrated on the motherboard.
J.
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 5:55pm
I'm convinced my recent problem comes from the fact that no less than 6 things install with the installation including the nVidia driver:

I think some of programs were removed with the driver and some were not. The "leftovers" caused the Windows to never load the video driver. Your thoughts?
J.
 Post Reply Post Reply