Post Date: 2008-08-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
turbo6 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote turbo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Installing parts
    Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 10:21pm
Is my warranty void if i install my own parts?

I didn't have the money up front for a soundcard, and i'm really into music and stuff, so yeah. i'll be purchasing a soundcard after i buy a new set of speakers and headphones.

and also, for right now, i have a spare 500GB HDD that i'd like to use.
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 11:12pm
They still warrenty all the parts that they put in the machine, but they wont warrenty say..your mobo if they figure out it was our new sound card that broke it..
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
turbo6 View Drop Down

Quote turbo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 11:48pm
i'm willing to take that risk.

and that's what i figured. cool.
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 12:10am
Originally posted by turbo6

Is my warranty void if i install my own parts?

I didn't have the money up front for a soundcard, and i'm really into music and stuff, so yeah. i'll be purchasing a soundcard after i buy a new set of speakers and headphones.

and also, for right now, i have a spare 500GB HDD that i'd like to use.

Regarding soundcard and headphones... If you need advice, I was and audio reviewer for years and really know headphones. I am also familiar with various characteristics of high end DACs and op amps. Just list your needs and budget and I will offer advice based upon your taste.
WeCanCallMeB View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote WeCanCallMeB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 10:03am
Widdlecat,

Seems like you are the supreme sound guru on these forums, so I will ask your advice :)  My DS rig is arriving tomorrow supposedly (review and pics to come!), but I did not buy a soundcard because of budget restrictions and the fact that most people think the onboard sound on the nVidia mobo's is alright.

However, I am somewhat of an audiophile, and I plan on getting a soundcard and some 5.1 headphones.  I have the top-end Onkyo 7.1 receiver, some nice PSB tower speakers, and a large HSU subwoofer (he has a factory in Cali) that I am working with.  I was wondering what sound card you think would be best if I was going to try to run a digital signal (optical) to my receiver for my gaming surround.

In the past I have had issues with this.  I had an Audigy 2 Platinum Pro (the one with the front I/O port) and i could never seem to get it to output in-game Dolby to my receiver via the optical output.  I am not a computer guru, so this may have just been a problem with settings.  Is there an easy way to output your onboard or soundcard digital signal to a home theater in a way that it will get the surround encoding?

Also, which card would you recommend for that?  And which pair of 5.1 headphones would you suggest for when I don't want to wake the neighbors with gunshots and explosions?  I was considering the Zalman's with the mic and the Tritton AX360 model.  Is the Tritton really worth the extra coin?

If I can't get the full surround effect from the computer to the receiver, then I'll probably just buy a cheaper set of surround speakers for the computer and attach it analog, but I'd rather utilize my relatively more expensive equipment and have four less cords cluttering my bedroom.

Thanks for any help in advance!  Let me know!  Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply