Post Date: 2018-06-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Intel's 28 Core vs AMD's 32 Core!
    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 2:27pm
Firstly, if you haven't watched Gamer Nexus' video on Intel's 28 core... I don't even walk to talk to you.

Secondly, if you have been following Computex and all of it's next gen releases... then I'm sure you've heard the news Intel and AMD announced today!

Threadripper 2 will feature up to 32 cores/64 Threads and be compatible with their current x399 chipset! While Intel on the other hand has their "supposed" 28 core with it's "new" socket coming out q3/q4 of 2018. (Not sure when AMD will be releasing theirs, but so far people are saying it will be this year... I'm going to go a head and guess Q4 of this year).

Intel is upping their core counts drastically purely because of Ryzen. Threadripper (1st gen) was nice, and Epyc is great and all, but Intel's response to Ryzen's massive success is upping the HEDT market.

AMD, hats off to you.

On that next note though, AMD swears up and down that they are still cooling threadripper 2 with consumer grade air coolers... where as Intel had to be sneaky and use condensed air cooling (An AC unit) to demonstrate their 28 core @ 5ghz.

@Alex, you guys going to bring back your sub-zero cooling for that new 28 core   

Anyways, I hope you guys are following Computex 2018. I'm so excited for things like Threadripper 2. Assuming Intel's new 28 core will run $2k-$3k (just guessing), I think it's safe to assume AMD won't even break $1,500. Expensive, but it completely changes things like the Home Lab scene and semi-professional work on so many levels.   

For those of you who don't know, I have my PhD in Comp Sci and specialize in theoretical algorithm work. The amount of docker's and clusters I have to spin up some times when doing my work sucks, unless I'm willing to throw in even my gaming PC's. But things like Threadripper 2? Boy, I can't wait.

What are y'alls thoughts?

… edited language. family forum….

Edited by Snaike - 06 Jun 2018 at 2:48pm
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 7:55am
I've always owned intel chips, but my next chip will be AMD mainly because Intel started getting cheap (in my mind) by using tim instead of delidding them (I hope that's the correct term) and because of the delays in the 10nm chips.

Edited by Alci - 07 Jun 2018 at 7:56am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 7:59am

This is a family forum ?   HahahaBig%20Smile

... fixed broken quote ...

Edited by Snaike - 07 Jun 2018 at 10:39am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 10:40am
Originally posted by bprat22

This is a family forum ?   HahahaBig%20Smile

... fixed broken quote ...

Fmaily friendly... yup.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:20pm
I thought your job was to stop spam, not censor discussion. 

Go about your job. ;)
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
ahs89 View Drop Down

Quote ahs89 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 4:50am
I have been using AMD for a long time now, it never disappointed me. Intel is trying hard to beat Threadripper with their 28 core CPU but cooling could be an issue. Diffusing 28 core in a single chip is something Intel is doing it for the first time and probably they might end up having flaws in cooling section while on other hand AMD have been in multi-core business for a very long time now and they have mastered themselves with the cooling division.

Post Reply Post Reply