Intel brings forward Nehalem launch.

Post Date: 2008-07-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Online Status: Offline
  Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Intel brings forward Nehalem launch.
    Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 4:01pm
Originally scheduled to launch in November or December this year, Intel's Nehalem-based Bloomfield processors will now launch in September along with X58 chipsets, sources at motherboard makers have revealed.

However, the sources pointed out that CPUs and motherboards will not officially appear in the channel until early October.

Since Bloomfield CPUs are not socket compatible with previous Intel platforms, the accelerated launch is not expected to cause competition between the company's own products, although the same cannot be said for AMD's scheduled AM3-based CPU launch, noted the sources.

source: digitimes

The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
ArmourBrad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ArmourBrad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 6:58pm
how significant are these combos?

wait 2 months significant or just a "nice step up"

any idea what the price mark would be on these puppies?

for example... could a nahalem system be kick a$$ for around 3k?
bjt
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by skyR

Originally scheduled to launch in November or December this year, Intel's Nehalem-based Bloomfield processors will now launch in September along with X58 chipsets, sources at motherboard makers have revealed.

However, the sources pointed out that CPUs and motherboards will not officially appear in the channel until early October.

Since Bloomfield CPUs are not socket compatible with previous Intel platforms, the accelerated launch is not expected to cause competition between the company's own products, although the same cannot be said for AMD's scheduled AM3-based CPU launch, noted the sources.

source: digitimes

im not a fan boy of ati...but their latest gpu has turned my head...that and nehalem could paint me a pretty picture...that is if better isnt out by february..Smile
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 7:57pm
They are releasing the extreme chip first, which if i remember reading correctly they are intrestingly gonna price at 999 instead of the usual lately of 1000+.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2008 at 8:48pm
They'll have three chips for release... a mainstream (2.66ghz), performance(2.9ghz), and enthusiast chip(3.2ghz+).

The mainstream chip is said to be under $300.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 7:51am
of course i would hope the enthusiast chip is out when its time for me to order...got my fingers crossedSmile
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 8:09am
Im almost considering getting one, but id need a new mobo. And changing out a mobo in a Cosmos S has got to be a pain...no removable mobo tray =/
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by workingman

of course i would hope the enthusiast chip is out when its time for me to order...got my fingers crossedSmile

You have some sort of deadline to meet to replace your pc workingman? Personally, as much as you've been wanting this, I'd wait for it to come out. hehee. I think it might even be worthwhile to see how AMD's new cpus will be. If they can shrink their dies down, they have a better design IMO. Besides, I'm all for supporting the underdog. It would be bad for the consumer in the long run if Intel became the only cpu manufacturer. I'm thinking in terms of value and quality. No competition means bad things.
Harry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 2:52pm
I will finally order when Nehalem is available.  From what I can figure (computer challenged) this combo will be really fast.  I was going to order a unit a month or so ago but I was worried all present mobo will be obsolete with this release.  Is that right?
Cool Master HAF 932
Core i7 965 DSO OC
Water cooled CPU
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
6 GB DDR3 1600 OCZ
1000 W Corsair HX
GTX 470
300 GB Raptor
tera 7200rpm
Windows 7

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by widdlecat

Originally posted by workingman

You have some sort of deadline to meet to replace your pc workingman? Personally, as much as you've been wanting this, I'd wait for it to come out. hehee. I think it might even be worthwhile to see how AMD's new cpus will be. If they can shrink their dies down, they have a better design IMO. Besides, I'm all for supporting the underdog. It would be bad for the consumer in the long run if Intel became the only cpu manufacturer. I'm thinking in terms of value and quality. No competition means bad things.
  nope, no deadline..but my computer is old...with a pentium four...and an envidia 6800 gtx vid card...its ok...for what i use it for...but i have been looking for a new one for quite some time..and im looking for a prety powerful one...one that will last me for maybe 4 more years...and i have been salivating over dso rigs for a while....but the cost has always been a factor...until february when my gas hog suv is paid off..then i can apply those payments to a new rig...is there a deadline..maybe in my mind it has already past....so i will get a new rig as soon as i can afford it..in february...if i could pull 7-8k out of thin air would have ordered the rig two yrs ago..lmao..Smile

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 4:10pm
and personally i think if amd doesnt start pulling some rabbits out of their hats..there is no competition already....not at the high end level anyway...and i agree with you no competition is a bad thing..but looks like intel maybe way to far ahead for them to catch up.....ive never liked amd ..ati...but i would shudder to think what the prices would be without them..Shocked
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 4:21pm
Actually I prefer AMDs cpu architecture, but they need to get 45nm tech into their dies. Intel nehelem is similar to a hybrid sort of AMD. (a tad ironic I think)
If AMD can launch their next gen cpus it has greater potential than Intel's nehelem. Instead of tri channel memory support, it will be able to support quad channel memory. That would be a huge performance boost, if they can break into 45nm tech.

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 9:16am
they may go down the drain before that happens ..sorry to say
 Post Reply Post Reply