FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intel Chipset Recall?

Post Date: 2011-01-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dillinkay View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dillinkay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Intel Chipset Recall?
    Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:38am
I just got home from work and was reading engadget and i guess there has been a pretty substantial recall warning for the chipsets controlling the new sandy bridge?

Here is the article:

A problem requiring a "silicon fix" is bad news in the chipset business, and sadly that's what Intel is announcing. Its new Intel 6 Series chipset, Cougar Point, has been found to have a flaw, something to do with the SATA controller. Intel is indicating that the ports can "degrade over time," leading to poor i/o performance down the road. All shipments have been stopped and a fix has been implemented for new deliveries, but it sounds like recalls will be starting soon for those with this ticking time bomb silicon within. It isn't a critical problem right now, though, so if you own a Sandy Bridge Core i5 or Core i7 system keep computing with confidence while looking for a recall notice, but it is bad news for Intel's bottom line: the company is advising a $300 million hit to revenue.

Not many could have this these bad chipsets considering it hasnt been out long, but damn thats a big money hit for intel. Ohwell! Still better than amd.

Nebidimka View Drop Down

Quote Nebidimka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:46am
Oh shi- Thats interesting, i wonder what will happen to my order since its still in stage 3, will it get a fix? :D
dillinkay View Drop Down

Quote dillinkay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:50am
From what they are saying they know whats wrong, and a fix has been implemented for new orders, etc. It really will just suck to people who already have the stuff running and have to potentially remove the motherboard, etc to get the chipset replaced.

Lot o work
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:35pm
As someone currenty in Stage 5 testing, I'd like to hear an official word from someone here about whats going on with this, and how the rest of us will be affected...
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:47pm

From what I've heard so far, it seems like its a chipset wide problem, which also effects Intels other partners.  Of particular note:

"Luckily, it seems that the respective flaw only affected support chips shipping since January 9th"

So it sounds like the initial batch of motherboards are in fact, good, and I assume DSO bulked up at release...

I would really like to hear a status update from someone on high from DSO about this, ASAP.
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:03pm

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

Interestingly enough the problem doesn’t affect ports 1 & 2 on the 6-series chipset. Remember that Intel has two 6Gbps ports and four 3Gbps ports on P67/H67, only the latter four are impacted by this problem.

If you’re a current Sandy Bridge user and want to be sure you don’t have any problems until you can get replacement hardware, stick to using the 6Gbps ports on your board (which should be the first two ports).

VERY Interesting...In theory, if you stick to the 6GB ports, you'll be fine...

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:44pm
There is no need to worry. Big%20Smile

We will be testing the systems prior to shipment for any issues.

We do saturate and benchmark the SATA ports that the devices are plugged into on our systems during testing.

Nevertheless, if you ever had issues down the road, we'll do our best to take care of our valued customers.
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:44pm
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cougar-point-sata-error,news-34910.html

Seems clear the SATA III ports are safe, and only SATA II is affected.  So I guess if you only use 1HD and 1 Optical driver, you're safe...Still like to hear from a DSO representative though...
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:49pm
There is no need to worry. Big%20Smile

We will be testing the systems prior to shipment for any issues.

We do saturate and benchmark the SATA ports that the devices are plugged into on our systems during testing.

Nevertheless, if you ever had issues down the road, we'll do our best to take care of our valued customers.

Yeah, I mean, worst case, there ARE PCI cards out there with SATA II interfaces.  And SATA III seems to be free of the problems...

I assume that in a 2HD, 1 Optical drive config, the 2 HD's would be on the SATA III ports?  I never use the optical drive much anyways, so if thats how my rig [order 14865 for reference] is setup, I'd be fine with it [provided the SATA III ports are, in fact, free of the problem]
Powerlord View Drop Down

Quote Powerlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:59pm
I've seen links to various articles, but if you want to see what Intel's saying, you can read their press release.

Also, some motherboards may have SATA controllers from different manufacturers.  I haven't looked to see what ASUS uses (since they make the bulk of the Sandy Bridge boards here at DS).

Edited by Powerlord - 31 Jan 2011 at 2:01pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 2:00pm
Intel won't have a updated chipset until a month from now.

We've been plugging all of the hard drives in the faster SATA 3 ports on our Sandy Bridge builds anyways which are unaffected by the issue. Intel has informed us that the issue is on the other ports, and it's performance degradation that happens after a couple of years. If the SATA 2 ports have optical drives on them, the issue won't be noticed during normal usage.

We'll be contacting our customers that order from us about this and if they approve, we'll move forward with the build with Sandy Bridge, or the customer can change over to an X58 chipset.

Edited by Alex - 31 Jan 2011 at 2:06pm
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 2:07pm
Intel won't have a updated chipset until a month from now.

If we do plug in the hard drive and optical drive to SATA ports 0 and 1, there will be no issues at all.

We'll be contacting our customers that order from us about this and if they approve, we'll move forward with the build with Sandy Bridge, or the customer can change over to an X58 chipset.

Yeah, thats how I understand it as well.  Odd that its the OLD stuff Intel messed up royally on...

Personally, I'd like my new rig to have my two HDD's on SATA 0 and 1, with the optical drive [which I rarely use, thanks to steam :D] on one of the SATA II ports.  Could you check and ensure thats how my order [14865] is set up [currently in Stage 5 testing]?
MosleyP4P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MosleyP4P Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 3:18pm
Hi Alex,

I was preparing to purchase the new Enix design, featuring the 2600k as soon as tonight or tomorrow at the latest... I just noticed these posts... So, not sure what I should do as the Enix only comes with the new cpu's. Truth be told, I am trying to follow what has been posted, but I do not understand it all. Although I noticed a few posts up that the issue is with only specific ports or something?

I was prepared to order a Enix with a SSD and a 1TB HDD along with the standard disc drive... Should I skip the SSD and only use a single HDD along with the optical drive? If you could let me know, that would be great as I would like to order tonight or tomorrow and I'd really like the Enix case but do not want problems with it as I have had so many with past computers Cry
coolmasta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote coolmasta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 3:41pm
Alot of the new mothboarda have 4 sata 2 and 4 sata3 ports
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 3:52pm
^^ Yeah, forgot my P8P67 Deluxe has 4 sata 3 ports...guess I'm safe then. :D
MosleyP4P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MosleyP4P Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 4:10pm
Okay, so if I go with a higher end MB, I will be okay? I guess I am just trying to figure this all out before I go and buy it. I was literally minutes away from ordering when I stumbled upon this Whoa

I just would like to ensure I won't run into problems and have a good experience with my first purchase from Digital Storm. My perceived final build included the 2600k and I think the M-Pro MB with a 80GB SSD and 1TB HDD.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 4:48pm
If you are an early adopter this is the kind of price you have to accept.
If you want stability, do not buy the bleeding edge, go with the mature and functional existing tech.....true for any type of purchase/investment.

For my self and my customers I usually give a new tech 6 months to "bake" before jumping in, UNLESS they specifically let me know they are not risk averse.

Edited by MagiK - 31 Jan 2011 at 4:51pm
MosleyP4P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MosleyP4P Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 4:54pm
Yeah, that is true Magik. I was considering going with a different build with the I7-950 and sabertooth MB (is that a good one?). From what I have seen playing around with different builds, I can get what I want and then some within my 2,500 range. My only question would be concerning the overclocking on the 950... In short, what kind of cpu cooler would be best to get the maximum 3.9 gHz (free option). 
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 5:15pm
Sabertooth is a great board, and the Noctua 120 or 140 is a fine Air cooler to get the most from the free OC
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 5:16pm
best thing to do is to wait for the fix then get the SB.
MosleyP4P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MosleyP4P Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 5:35pm
I am kind of in need of the computer now, otherwise I probably would just wait. I have been researching and pondering different custom builders and then since I have decided on DS, several different builds lol. I really do not want to wait any longer. I have everything arranged to place the order now and would like to do so if I can find a nice alternative build tonight.

I do not need an extreme overclock in excess of 4.0 gHz or higher really. However, I would like to be at 3.9 ghz at least which is the max for the free o.c.  Mainly due to Everquest 2, which I may play alongside Rift. It is a very demanding game on the cpu and the few who can play the game on the extreme quality graphics, are sporting overclocks around 4.0 ghz.

I was playing around with a few different builds using the HAF 922 and I was able to get pretty much all I wanted and much of what you guys had suggested to me (160GB SSD, GTX 570, etc). The question that I have revolves around the overclocking of the 950 as I do know they run hotter than the new sandy bridge. I am assuming that is why it costs 200 bucks to get 4.0 gHz haha. That being said, if I can get 3.9 ghz, that would suit my need for speed just fine Whoa

In summary... I need the new computer within the next couple of weeks and would like to order tonight or tomorrow at the very latest to get the process started. If all goes well with this first DS purchase, I can always upgrade (as in buy a new computer) to the sandy bridge architecture model in two years once its perfected! I just need a powerful, fast, computer now that is build well enough to last at least 2-3 years. After that period of time, I would just soon get a new looking case and new technology.

Edited by MosleyP4P - 31 Jan 2011 at 5:43pm
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 5:48pm
For MMO's you dont need SandyBridge anyway.  Theres nothing wrong at all with the current I5 and I7 chips, the key will be to have at least a 560 or my preference a GTX570 Video card.  and the 160GB SSD is really fun...I have it and while it doesnt help "frame rates" it does put loading scenes at the absolute minimum time....
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:39pm
Can somebody correct me if I'm wrong please, but with the p8p67, you get 4 x 6GB sata correct? if they perform fine with all four working at the same time, then I don't think this is a big issue. But if the sata 6GB ports have problems then its a big issue.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:43pm
Are the SATA 6GB native to ICH10R or are they Marvell controller? Or other?
If they are marvell you dont want to use those anyway....  I pulled my drives off the two Marvell ports on my system and have a bit better performance.

Edited by MagiK - 31 Jan 2011 at 6:44pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:51pm
Right I forgot about marvell, 2 out of 4 is the marvell chip, does ich10r have native 6GB sata?
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:55pm
I didnt think that Intel was going to support Sata6G until the next chip set not this one.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:56pm
lol so what is running the other 2 6GB sata? lol where is justin?

man this sucks, how can they make this mistake
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 7:05pm
@MosleyP4P,

We're looking into offering an X58 version of the Enix soon.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 7:23pm
there is no ICH on sandy bridge. yes 2 6Gbs are native.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 7:24pm
So what have they replaced the ICH chipset with? what handles all the disk io etc?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 7:34pm
PCH. Platform Controller Hub  like the 1156 socket had also.. Big%20Smile
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Can somebody correct me if I'm wrong please, but with the p8p67, you get 4 x 6GB sata correct? if they perform fine with all four working at the same time, then I don't think this is a big issue. But if the sata 6GB ports have problems then its a big issue.

The majority of the p8p67 boards [the low tier one being the exception] have 4 6GB SATA 3 ports, so those boards should be more or less immune, provided you stick with the SATA 3 ports.

But boy, imagine how the market would be if AMD had Bulldozer ready to launch...
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 8:24pm
yes, but only 2 are native 6Gb, the other 2 suck donkey balls. Big%20Smile
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:41pm
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie