FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intel CPU Warping

Post Date: 2022-04-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
txfeinbergs View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Intel CPU Warping
    Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 7:33am
Any concern or comment from Digital Storm on this issue?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-comments-on-alder-lakes-warping-and-bending-issues-mods-void-warranty

I was about ready to go with an Intel CPU again after being with AMD for the last 4 years, but now I am considering staying with AMD.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 9:59am
First I heard about this issue. I haven't seen anybody talk about it in the Forum yet. I got a AMD 5900X but would have got the Intel 12th Gen but it was not available a few months ago when I upgraded. Everything I read is that the Intel is the better higher performing chip for the money.

Be interesting to see if Digital Storm or other Forum members are aware of this issue. I know Digital Storm is very careful and have a significant burn in testing regimen before they send their systems out.

Thank you for sharing and we will both see if anybody has had an issue or concern to this point.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 3:02pm
The chip you bought is just fine for gaming. I currently have a Threadripper 2950X and I can tell you on NO hands how many times it actually benefitted me gaming. I am actually now considering going with a 5900X as well. PCI 5 would have been nice, but they are saying consumer SSD drives are still two years out that will take advantage of that. I am also worried about AMDs next gen chips as they could have bugs like their first PCI 4 motherboard/chipsets did.

Edited by txfeinbergs - 11 Apr 2022 at 3:03pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 5:11pm
txfeinbergs,

This is my 2nd Digital Storm system. I just replaced my 12 year old system a few months ago. In all those years all I had to replace was a fan and that was a few months before I bought the new system.

I really like the Velox case it is all mesh in front, top, & sides with lightly smoked glass sides. The Velox case is always cool to the touch even when I am gaming hard with it.

I have been making videos of race car driving, fractal images, and old school pinball play on my "Ken Wigger" YouTube channel with my new computer.

I will be 70 in June and have been retired 8 years after retiring as a System Administrator working at Boeing.

There are a lot of folks on here that helped me 12 years ago configure my first Digital Storm system & they helped me configure my current system that I just got a few months ago. As I mentioned the 12th gen Intel was not available at the time I ordered. I am happy with the 5900X and since I went that way, I tend to look for reasons why it is still the better CPU. But most people go with the 12th gen Intel. I hear they run warm and had issues between Win 10 & win 11 but I think they were all fixed? Everything brand new has issues till they fix the bugs.

The issue you brough up on the proper CPU seating and potential temp issues was a new one for me. There should be some folks in the Forum that have already bought the 12th Gen and might be interested too in your post.

I haven't really heard anybody complain about their 12th gen configuration other than heat and power draw of the chip. But the cooling options provided make these non-issues except in the smallest case with low ineffective airflow. Even here the 12th gen has various models that would be appropriate for the small cases and their heat constraints.

I see you have been on the Forum since 2010. I have been on since 2008 and have always found this Forum to be very educational and helpful when I have questions or thin about upgrades & stuff.

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 11 Apr 2022 at 5:16pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 5:50pm
Yes, I bought my first Digital Storm system in 2010, and then another in 2014. I then made a mistake and bought my current Threadripper system from another builder to save a few bucks (okay, it was more like $500 but... it was built poorly and they shorted the pins on one of the USB connectors on the motherboard that is now causing multiple USB ports to fail (and my Ethernet port) because they didn't know what they were doing hence I am now back here). I overbought with the Threadripper since I mainly use my system for gaming. I switched to AMD at the time because Intel was having a ton of issues with the Spectre security vulnerabilities and the "fixes" hitting performance by more than 20%.

Both companies are now racing at what is likely too fast a speed trying to one up each other, so going with the latest and greatest is a high risk endeavor right now I think. Also, the 12th gen Intel's run extremely hot and are power hungry, but that 5.5 Ghz on their newest chip was sure enticing (and totally unnecessary for my needs just like the Threadripper but I am susceptible to cool marketing apparently).

Edited by txfeinbergs - 11 Apr 2022 at 5:53pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 7:09pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 4:39am
The most recent CPUs available are overkill for gaming. Upgrading beyond 8 cores/16 threads won't pay off most likely for the life of a system. The speeds attained now by the six core procs make them very viable for a long-lasting gaming rig, IMHO. The turbo speeds on the latest gen chips are numbers overclockers would have "killed for" just two years ago. If this article concerns you, a Ryzen 5800X will game very well for you.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-TR-2950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X/m569025vs4085

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X/4087vs4085

Post Reply Post Reply