FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Internal surge protection in DS rigs?

Post Date: 2020-05-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Scambush View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scambush Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Internal surge protection in DS rigs?
    Posted: 30 May 2020 at 5:53am
I had trouble connecting my new Lumos tower into my power strip so right now it is plugged in directly into the wall. Is there internal protection to make plugging into a power strip unnecessary? Also do most regular power strips even provide surge protection for a DS tower?

Just want to make sure I'm protected when the next thunderstorm comes.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2020 at 6:28am
To my knowledge there is NO power surge protection inside the Lumos. You can tell if a power strip is a surge protector if it has a breaker that can be tripped. If you don't see that, then it is just a regular extension cord.
Scambush View Drop Down

Quote Scambush Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2020 at 7:29am
Yeah I checked the power strip I got from Amazon did say it was a surge protector but only 200 J and was $13 so nothing snazzy. I'm going to try again to plug the DS into that but for some reason it didn't fit even though the surge protector supports grounded outlets.
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:48am
I personally went with the UPS offered by DS. The UPS has a collection of plugs for various components (e.g., PC and monitor). The surge suppressor is an important purchase since power surges can damage sensitive electronics.

In my case, I have been used to using laptops for so long that I've taken it for granted that my computer will still function when power goes out. It has happened twice since I got my Lumos. Both times the UPS gave me time to perform an orderly shutdown.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:06am
Hi,
Do not use a power strip. Use an ups (I use APC brand) and for more insurance a good power protector between it (ups) and the wall outlet. I use ZeroSurge. They are not cheap! All the computers in the house have an ups and ZeroSurge. We have a lot of brownouts.
Enjoy.
Scambush View Drop Down

Quote Scambush Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by hoserator

Hi,
Do not use a power strip. Use an ups (I use APC brand) and for more insurance a good power protector between it (ups) and the wall outlet. I use ZeroSurge. They are not cheap! All the computers in the house have an ups and ZeroSurge. We have a lot of brownouts.
Enjoy.

So basically I'm unplugging my rig during thunderstorms until I get one would be best advice?
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Scambush

Originally posted by hoserator

Hi,
Enjoy.

So basically I'm unplugging my rig during thunderstorms until I get one would be best advice?

That is the safest option. In your case.

My house has a device installed right before power gets to the breaker box. Both desktop computers have their own UPS. Absent a UPS, I would be be unplugging power and ethernet into the computer during any storm within 5 miles of home.
 Post Reply Post Reply