Post Date: 2009-01-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
boobie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote boobie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Internet connection issues with new rig
    Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 7:50am
I have a brand new rig from DS.  It is a dual boot Vista 64/WinXP configuration.  I have been unable to connect to the Internet at all with the machine.  I have a router and a cable modem.  I have tried to connect straight through the modem and have tried to connect through the router with no success.  This router is currently connected to a different computer running WinXP.  When trying to connect through WinXP on the new DS computer, I have no luck.  In fact, I can't activate WinXP because it can't find a connection.

I have discovered that there have been issues with Vista connecting but there are various suggestions with no consistency.  Tried a suggestion from Microsoft to edit the registry that didn't jive with the current setup.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

I have not called the cable company yet as spending hours on the phone doesn't seem fun - I would rather avoid having a technician sent out if possible.  Thanks.

Edited by boobie - 14 Jan 2009 at 8:39am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 9:49am
In Vista. Have you tried right clicking on the network icon on your desktop and slide down and click on properties?

The network sharing center then comes up and on the left you have your options to set up your network. If you have already tried that then you might need to go into it a little further and click on "manage network connections".

The registry is not the first place I would look. I usually use that as a last resort.

The cable company would be the most familiar with how there system connects to Vista Machines.

Probably someone on in this forum has a clearer picture on how to set it up. I do all my IP stuff with static values.

Another place is the control panel/Device manager/Network adapters . Make sure they are enabled and show "This device is working properly".

I am using a 790i ultra MB and I am familiar with this one.  What Mother board do you have ?

Fusion - clean energy

boobie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote boobie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 10:56am
I have an Asus P6T.

I will try your suggestions when sitting in front of my computer.  I was somewhat surprised that the WinXP setup did not pick up the connection.  My last computer had no such problems to my memory with the same cable company, same modem.

Yes, the cable company probably is the best option but one I wanted to avoid- it is a question of either waiting on the phone for an interminable amount of time or waiting at home.

Any help to get me on the right track is certainly appreciated.
boobie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote boobie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 2:29pm
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try these out later.  I am slightly concerned as there have been reports on other forums of issues with the Marvell Yukon controllers.  However, I will try this out and see what is happening.
boobie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote boobie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 12:04am
Okay- both controllers appear to be properly setup- I didn't see any red or yellow flags.  Next, I will try updating the Marvell Yukon drivers from their website.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 12:23am
boobie what is your OS? have you checked your internet settings to make sure all is correct?
boobie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote boobie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 11:54am
I have a dual boot system.  Vista 64 Home Premium and WinXP.  I can't connect with either OS.  I have not been able to activate WinXP because it can't find a connection (At some point, I'll activate by telephone to see if that helps anything.).

Meanwhile, my old machine, running WinXP, is able to connect without issue, both through the router and directly through the modem.  Neither OS on the DS machine is able to do that.

As far as checking Internet settings, I have done what has been suggested or I am familiar with.  I did look in device manager to check that the network devices were there and working.  There do not seem to be any problems but the drivers are not up to date so I will address that.

Solving network issues has never been a strong suit- either it works immediately or assistance was provided with WinXP early on and never needed again.

Are most people able to simply connect to the Internet or is there a process that has to be done.  I have tried setting up a connection to the Internet through Vista but it does not connect at all.  I have no issue calling the cable company but I want to be suure that there isn't any issue with the network devices, especially since I can't even use WinXP.

Thanks.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 4:15pm
tell you what, boot up to xp and we will walk thru and see if we can get it connected
boobie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote boobie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 10:57pm
SUCCESS!!!  I downloaded and installed the latest driver from Marvell Yukon and so far, so good.  Thanks again for the help and suggestions.Ermm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 12:48am
this is the second time that marvell needed to be updated to connect.

sounds like the first thing to try if you have it and can't connect.
[email protected] View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil@fostini.com Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 9:41am
Excellent Ermm
Fusion - clean energy

Post Reply Post Reply