Introduction/Config Question Hailstorm 2

Post Date: 2013-06-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
budwiesner View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Introduction/Config Question Hailstorm 2
    Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 3:13am
Hello everyone.  My name is Steven.  I am currently configuring a Hailstorm II as a welcome home present for my self and to upgrade from my current homebuilt computer.  I  have a couple of questions I hope you all can assist with.  This rig is my dream rig and will be a gift to me for surviving a year long deployment to Afghanistan with the U.S. Navy. 
My first question is, would it be possible to request specific water blocks?  I am considering either going with 2 Sli Titans or 3 Sli 780s.  I really love the look of the Heatkiller Nickle gpu waterblocks.  

My second question is in regards to shipping.  I am stationed out of Hawaii (I know, I cant complain :))  Has anyone here on the forums had a Digital Storm computer shipped to Hawaii?  Im concerned about damage as it is quite a distance from HQ.  I am quite impressed though after looking at the facility tour. 

Finally, my last question deals with timing.  I am looking to time the order as perfectly as I can.  My plan is to order the computer while I am still deployed, say with 15 days or so left, this way I can fire it up right when I get home.  What would you guys reccomend?  I have noticed here on the forums that there is bit of a wait for the Corsair 900D?  Should I swap over to the 800D to avoid this?  I love the 800D as that is what I have for my current build.  Thank you guys in advanced for any insight. 

By the way, I will be upgrading from an I7 990X and Dual Sli GTX 580 setup. 

Best Regards.   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 3:39am
Hi Steven.... Welcome to the forums.. and get home safe.

You can special order parts but you'd have to discuss this with DS on the phone. It is more money and extra time to get the parts in.

We recently had a customer from Hawaii share his build on the forum.   DS does send to Hawaii, Ireland, Spain, you name it.    They do a great job packing it for safety and in your case might suggest the wooden crate option for max protection.

The 900d is just now starting to arrive after a longer than expected wait.    Again, a call to DS will give you a better feel for time.

Triple 780's will smoke most setups.

Good luck.

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 3:54am
Mr. Prat,
  Thank you for your insight and advice.  I will have to look for that members post here on the forums.  My biggest fear is getting the computer and having damage done to it durring shipping.  I do realize DS does all it can to prevent that and it is greatly appriciated.  Sounds like I am going to have to figure out when to call DS.  Gotta love the timezone difference!  Also, I agree, those 780s will be awesome!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 4:15am
They could probably answer your questions via email.   Might make life easier.

Wish I could take the order, but not in my job desciption.   

Let us know how it goes.

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 4:33am

That would be awesome if it is via email.  Haha totally understand the whole job description thing.  Trust me, I deal with contractors at my job on a daily basis lol. 

Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 6:21am
Hi Steven.  I might suggest you talk to DS about proceeding with your build but hold the shipping.  That way any problems/delays can be taken care of.

BTW, I k now how you feel, I loved my 1969 Camaro Z28 I picked up in SF and drove home.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Nerek387 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Nerek387 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 9:09am
If your doing an SLI Titan build, that's your best best, get the Stage 5 liquid cooling package from hailstorm 2, it will be great and look great for what you need.

However, the 900d we're waiting for, myself and a few others are still waiting for the shipment to come in for our rigs to be built.
bally7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bally7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 9:45am
My first DS build I got them to hold shipping over christmas as I was visiting family in Ireland until I returned to the US.

There was no issue, and to be honest, DS made the whole experience very easy.

Anytime I have made a special request, they usually get back to me really quickly and do their best to make it happen.

Give them a heads up, and Im sure you will be as good as gold.
Stage 1 6/11 - Delivered 8/22

Aventum II
i7 3970X 4.7GHz
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79
32GB DDR3 2133MHz
4x 256GB Samsung 840 - Raid 0
3x Titans
Custom Copper Liquid Cooling
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 8:32pm
What monitors you running

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 2:56am
All right everyone.  Sorry for the late response, things have been....interesting here in Afghanistan to say the least.  Here is what I have decided to go with.  I think this should be a pretty amazing build! 

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Platinum Series with Corsair Link (CP-9020008-NA) (Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (64MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 5: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU + 2x Dual Video Cards + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color: Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: Touch V12XT Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Also I will be adding in the quick disconnects...thank you Gerardo for the quick response. 

Tju76, I plan on running tripple Asus 144 mhz monitors.  This should be fun Excited

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 4:37am
And boom, Digitals Storms newest customer
ExcitedAwesome

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 5:27am
Congrats.  Awesome build. Awesome

Make sure your email address ,that you ordered with, matches the forum account  email address, exactly.  That way 'Verified Customer' will be added after processing. 

Best of luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Jun 2013 at 5:37am

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 5:49am
Just did.  Thank you fine Sir.  Now I just need the rest of this deployment to fly by and I will be enjoying my most epic rig ever!
Subxero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Subxero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 6:00am
Why not the SSD as a os drive? Just curious as to your choice.

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 6:03am
Subxero, I have always used the WD 10k Raptor as my main hard drive of choice.  One of the primary reasons is because this is the holy grail for hard drives for Flight Simulator.  I will be using this rig mainly for FSX and Iracing on tripples.  I will get back to BF3 when I am ready.  I need a break from the military for a little bit. 
Subxero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Subxero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 6:07am
I see. Well good luck! Happy flying! My son in law just return to HI from Kandahar. Two tours. He is enjoying his down time. Nice welcome home!

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 6:09am

Thank you Sir.  Curious, where abouts in Hawaii?  Thats where I am stationed.  I just hope I timed the purchase right so it will be a nice welcome home Big%20Smile

Subxero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Subxero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 6:19am
Schofield Barracks, Wahiawa‎ HI. He is a native of Palau and recently got citizenship. He is there with my daughter and four children.

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 7:31am
Oh awesome, congratulations! 

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 11:46am
So I want to get an opinion from a couple of people here in regards to a discussion with tech support I am having about my config.  I will not use names either.  In my emails with Digital Storm, it has been recomended that I make the following changes. 

1.  Do not watercool the gtx 780s.  I understand that the newer cards run cooler while gaming, however 80 degrees still scares me.  Especially since I live in Hawaii.  They gave me valid reasons from the point of maintenance and price.  However, is it safe to have sli 780s on air at 80 degrees each?  If I run them on air I will upgrade to the two blow holes.  Also is the 900D going to provide enough airflow? 

2.  Drop my ram from the Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz to 1600mhz sticks.  What do you all think about this?  Reason was for a stable high overclock, however I am concerned that this could bottleneck the system?  The following is what I had origionally ordered and configured. 

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) <b></b> System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance) <b></b> Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Platinum Series with Corsair Link (CP-9020008-NA) (Quad SLI Compatible) Expansion Bay: - No Thanks Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) <b></b> Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (64MB Cache) <b></b> Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST) Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections) Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX) Add-on Card: - No Thanks Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 5: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU + 2x Dual Video Cards) <b></b>

H20 Tube Color: Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) <b></b> Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b> Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue) <b></b>

Enhancements: Touch  V12XT Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade) <b></b> Chassis Mods: - No Thanks Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material) <b></b>

LaserMark: - No Thanks

CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard) Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s) Memory Boost: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service) <b></b> OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <b></b> Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD) Virus Protection: - No Thanks

Office: - No Thanks

Game: - No Thanks

Display: - No Thanks

Surge Shield: - No Thanks

Speakers: Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (Model CA-9011115-NA) <b></b>

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 (Fully Mechanical Gaming Keyboard) (Black Brushed Aluminum Finish) <b></b>

Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M90 (Laser 5700 dpi) (MMO/RTS Gaming Mouse) (USB Wired) <b></b> External Storage: - No Thanks Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks

I appologize for the long post, but I am just curious and want another opinion. 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:21pm
1. The graphics cards are designed to run fairly cool on air, you do not really need to liquid cool them to keep them running great. Liquid cooling is nice, but, not necessary, if you have money to spare and you already have a top-shelf Hailstorm II, you can definitely add it.

2. The memory will not bottleneck the system at 1600MHz. The performance advantage from 1600MHz to 2400MHz+ is very, very small.

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:27pm
Alex,
  Thank you for the response.  I did not realize that there was not that much gain in performance between the two sticks.  I am fraily computer savy, however memory is a weak spot for me. 

Also thank  you for the clairification on the watercooling.  I was just a little confused on why it was recommended to not water cool the GPUs.  Water cooled GPUs are awesome though!  Awesome
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:27pm
The tech is right in both cases.   Water cooling your cards isn't needed. A good air cooled case and the cards themselves will do just fine.    If you want water cooling and don't mind the extra money then that works too. But not necessary.   I think he's trying to save you money and mayb with shipping to Hawaii less chance of damage.

If you stick with air cooling, the HafX case under Special Ops is the best with its 230mm front fan and top and side 200mm fans. They move slow, pump alot of air and are quiet.   The 900d should also work but Hafx is better.

Higher ram clock can stress the memory controller and cause oc instability.   Not always but can happen for sure. For gaming the higher clock you'll never see.   Only with very ram intense apps might it help.   The looks of the higher heat spreaders is usually the draw but for most not needed.

Hope this helps.

Alex beat me.

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Jun 2013 at 12:28pm

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:35pm
Mr. Prat,
  Unfortuantely I have pledge my loyalty to Corsair ever since I got the 800D for my current build lol.  Amazing cases.  I guess I am afraid of change lol.  I am all about saving money as well and that is greatly appriciated.  As I said in response to Alex, memory is a weak area in my computer knowledge.  I have learned so much about it in the last couple of days.  Also, should have said this, I have no intentions at all on insulting DS by bringing this up on the forums.  Im more or less just trying to learn. 

So one last quick question.  I noticed on the picture for the Hailstorm 2 there was a 360 mm rad on both the top and bottom, however only one loop??  Would this second rad on the bottom be installed if I dont water cool the cards?  I assume no. 

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:37pm
And appologies for the typos, its past midnight here in Afghanistan!  I swear im going to have sleeping problems when I get back haha. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:52pm
My typos are because of this tablet thing I'm on right now.   

Not sure where they mount the primary, for cpu only, rad on the 900d. I'm guessing the top and doubt you get both wothout cards under water.

Maybe Alex can chime in when possible.

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 12:58pm
I thought the picture under the HailStorm tab looked odd, 2 rads with no water cooling on the cards?  Uness they are just fans.  Im curious as well.  Haha I cannot stand tablets!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 1:06pm
For CPU only, we use one large radiator and it's mounted on the top usually.

The featured image was done in that way to showcase the GeForce graphics cards.
Subxero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Subxero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 1:07pm
The Corsair 900d is in stock at Corsair just up the street from DS, so I am assuming that they have the cases and are now dealing with backlog orders. I have the level 5 liquid cooling for the reason that depending on load, the GPS can generate some heat. In my last air cooled system the GPS got a little noisey at full fan. WC the rig spreads the heat to radiators with multiple fans to increase the heat dissipation. Just my 2 cents.
Hail Storm II level 3
Intel Core i7 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
32GB 1866MHz Platinum DHX
1200W Corsair Pro
2x SLI GeForce 980ti XSPC Razor WB
2x XSPC Razor Backplate
XSPC Photon 270 Reservoir
Subxero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Subxero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 1:09pm
Alex, are the fans on the bottom of the case standard? Re: the picture.
Hail Storm II level 3
Intel Core i7 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
1200W Corsair Pro
2x XSPC Razor Backplate

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 1:09pm

AwesomeAh, well played fine Sir!  Those GeForce Cards look amazing!  I figured that was the case.  I wish I could drop the money on tri sli Titans, but I am sure I will be happy with the 2 way sli 780 Big%20Smile

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Subxero

Alex, are the fans on the bottom of the case standard? Re: the picture.

When liquid cooling for graphics card is ordered.
Subxero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Subxero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 1:20pm
Aha! The second radiator! How many for level 5 then? Two? On top and bottom? Dual 480 mm perhaps?
Hail Storm II level 3
Intel Core i7 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
1200W Corsair Pro
2x XSPC Razor Backplate
Nerek387 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Nerek387 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 2:05pm
Bud I have a similar setup as you and so does sub, 900d is sick, gpu cooling is not necessary however I too purchase the stage 5 sli gpu and cpu liquid cooling..also the 1600mhz ram is all you need .hogher ram can give problems
-Corsair 900D
-i7 4770K OC 4.5GHz
-Asus Sabertooth
-16GB Corsair Dominator 1600
-GeForce GTX 770 SLI
-Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB
-WD Black 1&2TB HDD 7200
-DS Custom CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling System

Quote budwiesner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 6:26am
Nerek,
  Agreed.  After doing some research on the higher mhz sticks, I understand why it can cause problems.  Pretty interesting stuff.  I cant wait to get this computer.  Im if love with the 800D and really considered having this build based on that format, but the 900D is even better from the reviews I read.  I just hope they improved the air flow a bit.  That was the only downfall to the 800D.  I went ahead and had the side blow hole installed just to make sure there is sufficient airflow. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>