FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is My Computer Worth Upgrading?

Post Date: 2020-05-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JR_1234 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JR_1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Is My Computer Worth Upgrading?
    Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:14pm
I haven't decided on anything yet, just kicking tires and pricing.

What are some good upgrades I could do to my computer to help it run games like Call of Duty Warzone, Red Dead Redemption 2, and World of Warships?

The Digital Storm packaging receipt that comes with my computer says I have an i5 4570 3.2GHz quad core, but under device manager on windows it says I have an i5 4590 3.3GHz quad core, msinfo32 confirms.

Motherboard: ASUS H81M-D/E Plus Intel H81 Chipset MATX
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
PSU: 600W Corsair CX
Storage: 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 64MB Cache
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Includes PhysX
Display: 43" LG TV 1920x1080p HDMI

No CPU, GPU, or RAM boost from the factory. The only thing I have done is a BIOS update a long time ago, and I went into the BIOS EZ mode and enabled the performance option. All I know about the BIOS is it stands for basic input output system and it's the first thing that loads when you boot your PC. I'm no computer expert by any means so go easy on me.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2020 at 4:24am
So Red Dead Redemption is likely to be the most demanding of those games. You are okay for minimum specs, but "Recommended" is a 4770K proc, 12GB of RAM, and a GTX 1060 6 GB. All that might be done for under $500 if you're willing to buy used, and shop places like E-Bay. Problem is, then everything else in your rig is still almost 7 years old, and could die on you before you got a lot of value for your investment.

For $1299 you can get a Lynx Level 3 here that will totally shred every game at 1080p for several years from now. That would be killer.

If that's too much, the Level 2 would get you started. The RAM and the GPU would not meet RDR II recommended specs, but would well exceed the minimum. You could replace the 8GB of RAM down the road for ~$75, and you'd be in position to upgrade to one of the new Nvidia cards when they come out in the Fall whenever you wanted.
 Post Reply Post Reply