FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is my CPU to much for my GPU?

Post Date: 2019-05-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jcc1989 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jcc1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Is my CPU to much for my GPU?
    Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:41pm
HI there, I'am a first time pc owner, I recently just built my first gaming rig, but I'm having some issues with the fps when playing games link overwatch and the division 2. not sure if is my pc settings or if my CPU to to strong for my GPU.

I have a 144hz 27 inch dell monitor, my CPU is a Ryzen 7 2700x and my GPU is an Radeon RX 580 armored. please help and thank you

Edited by Jcc1989 - 09 May 2019 at 3:42pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2019 at 5:55am
In gaming, the CPU and GPU are not that dependent on one another. You have a very capable CPU, but your video card is not so much. If your monitor is more than 1080p, you're under-powered. If it's 1080p, it is still going to struggle sometimes to get high frames. The sweet spot for gaming 1080p at 144hz is the GTX 1070. Your RX 580 is similar to a GTX 1060. Big difference. You're going to have to turn down your game settings.

If your screen res is 1440p (2K), your best results would be from an RTX 2070.
Jcc1989 View Drop Down

Quote Jcc1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Cretae

In gaming, the CPU and GPU are not that dependent on one another. You have a very capable CPU, but your video card is not so much. If your monitor is more than 1080p, you're under-powered. If it's 1080p, it is still going to struggle sometimes to get high frames. The sweet spot for gaming 1080p at 144hz is the GTX 1070. Your RX 580 is similar to a GTX 1060. Big difference. You're going to have to turn down your game settings.

If your screen res is 1440p (2K), your best results would be from an RTX 2070.

Okay, so if I have a slower monitor, like a 75hz 1080p, that might help too?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2019 at 2:31am
Slower monitor won't do anything. A game your card can run on high settings at 65fps will do so on a 144hz monitor or a 75hz monitor. The screen resolution is the key. It means each screen draw is far fewer pixels at 1080p, so a slower card will redraw faster (deliver higher fps) at 1080p than at 1440p.

Each game you play makes a different demand on your GPU. Some have more realistic scenes, and some may also have faster action that demands quicker scene changes. Therefore, there are lots of less demanding games that run fine on your RX 580, but generally speaking, it's still not going to deliver the kind of high frame rates you're looking for in the more demanding ones.

It makes more sense to match your GPU to the monitor than to downgrade the monitor to try to match the GPU.
Jcc1989 View Drop Down

Quote Jcc1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:07pm
oh okay, so a GPU depends on the games you play, so the newer the game, the better graphics the stronger GPU you"ll need right?

thank you, I'm still real new to pc gaming. just built my first pc almost two weeks ago, so I'm sure theirs still lots more for me to lean, so I really appreciate the help
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:02am
Yes, many games are designed to be accessible and playable to a very wide audience, others are the latest and greatest, and make pretty high demands on graphics cards to be played at the highest settings. Most games come with graphics adjustments in the options menu that allow you to tone down some of the requirements for smoother gameplay on your system.

You can lower the screen resolution your monitor displays, set the game to display things a bit less realistically, tone down the display of shadows, how far away things in the distance are shown, and things like that to get to the fps that gives you a pleasing experience. The higher-end your GPU, the more of these things can be included without adjusting them.

Many, many games, especially the ones that have been out awhile look pretty darn good and are very playable at lowered settings. Playing everything at max is a worthy goal, but, in the heat of an intense game, I'm just not lookin' all around at eye candy.

I'm pleased if I helped you out.
Jcc1989 View Drop Down

Quote Jcc1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2019 at 4:44pm
hi there, I have One More Question.

My motherboard is a ASUS Prime X470, will that support the GeForce GTX 1070 G1 ?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:33am
Certainly, no problem. Your frame rates will jump up an average of about 30% moving to that card from an AMD 580.

It will allow you to play at or near the highest settings on almost every game at 1080p resolution. If your res is 1440p, you may find a handful of games require lower settings for high fps, but it's still the best price/performance pick.
Jcc1989 View Drop Down

Quote Jcc1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:28pm
thank you so much, I'm still new to pc builds, I just built this pc almost three months ago, so I'm trying to be really careful on the parts I buy. so I really appreciate the help. thank you
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:12pm
My pleasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply