FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is overclocking worth it for my build?

Post Date: 2014-12-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Xenris View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Xenris Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Is overclocking worth it for my build?
    Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 9:47pm
My build is here: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Xtx4Jx

I have an Intel i7 4790k Devils Canyon CPU (Base 4Ghz, Turbo Boost 4.4Ghz) and EVGA Superclocked GTX 980 that's already undergone a factory overclock. I also only game on a single monitor.

With any voltage overclock, my system will draw more power and thus require more cooling which = more noise and makes my CPU/GPU work harder and possibly shorten their life span right?

At the moment, in terms of performance/gaming I shouldn't really need to overclock anything as my rig should be able to handle everything I need for a good while right?

I also read that the Devils Canyon CPU has a turbo boost function which pushes the base 4.0Ghz speed to 4.4Ghz if needed. So really, my CPU is technically already at 4.4Ghz, just only when needed. It would be a complete waste to overclock the base speed to anything under 4.5Ghz correct? If I were to try to get to 4.5Ghz or higher, I would need to do a voltage increase right?

Maybe 5 years down the road it might be a viable option to OC but, would you agree that right now for my gaming only purposes, its not really needed?

Does the same logic apply for my GPU? Since its already undergone a factory overclock, is it really useful/worth the risk to try to push it further?

I wouldn't mind overclocking if I could safely do it without increasing the voltage, but like I said earlier, to get to 4.5Ghz I imagine I would need some voltage increase, same goes for the GPU if I wanted to see a noticeable performance boost from what I already have right?

Your thoughts?

Edited by Xenris - 03 Dec 2014 at 9:49pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 1:53am
Hi Xenris,

I think you will find that the Tubo Boost is only on one core. With an OC you can get all cores to the same frequency. So an OC would be beneficial for your CPU. It is generally recommended not to exceed a Vcore of 1.4v. Most are in the 1.2v/1.3v range. I don't want a CPU OC with more than 1.34. But that is dependent on the individual CPU chip. The lower Vcore you use on the CPU the lower your CPU temps will be. Your best Vcore settings is determined by the chip, your CPU cooler and the air flow in your computer. The K series of CPUs are made for OCing. If Intel thought OCing was a bad thing they wouldn't offer the K series CPUs.

If you already have a factory OC GPU I would not up the OC unless you know what you are doing. I personally don't like to OC GPUs because of the longevity of the GPU. People OC their GPUs all the time and are happy with them.

Frank
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 3:28pm
to get the most out of your custom cooled GTX 980 (noticed i didn't say reference card), yes, oc the bejesus out of it!  DON'T touch the voltage on these new cards that will just cause them to throttle faster and get worse performance.  you only need to mess with the clocks. 

as always, you need to find the sweet spot between: fan noise, stability and clock speeds.  your card needs to be operating stable with a clock speed above 1216 MHz (you can actually get it up to the 1400's stable on a custom cooled card with a custom pcb) and the memory clock in the range of 7.8GHz to get the most enjoyable playable experience.  the better cooled the card is the more oc you can apply to it.  these 980's are designed to be pushed, so don't worry about decreasing the life of the card (assuming you've done a proper oc). 

i wouldn't worry about power draw either, these cards are still ~200 watts under a AMD 290X while oc'd.

read this review on your particular card: http://www.overclockers.com/evga-gtx980-superclocked-acx2.0-graphics-card-review

Edited by db188 - 07 Dec 2014 at 4:19pm
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 2:31am
I adjust the voltage on my cards. I had to find the sweet spot as once I went to a certain point, I actually lost stability.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply