FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a list of services turned off by your svc

Post Date: 2010-01-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skylander View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote skylander Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Is there a list of services turned off by your svc
    Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 6:14pm
Do you have a list of all the services you turn off under the "Optimize my windows" service?

While I like how fast the machine boots up, so far I have been discovering many services also being off that I would consider necessary, such as Security module, .Net 1.1 (many games use this still), NetBios settings to connect to TimeCapsule wireless hubs etc.

I am hoping there may be a reference that can be posted here so I can avoid installing Windows from scratch and removing software manually afterwards.

Thanks

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 1:06am
what is the os? I tell people to avoid that option all the time, if you enable the correct services then your bootup time should be still fast.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 1:08am
@skylander,

I'm sorry but we can't release the list of services/mods we do to Windows to increase your systems performance by cutting the fat out of Windows. This would be unfair to paying customers that request this feature.

On another note, it has been proven effective by a recent review of our system by a certain source. They tested our system with benchmarks when it came from the factory with our 'Windows Tweaks' and then they did a clean-fresh install of Windows and found out that our image with the tweaks performed better.

Edited by Alex - 11 Jan 2010 at 1:09am
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:01am
how would it be unfair to tell us? i don't get that. with out knowing what we are getting we are buying something blind, and how would we really know it is better for us or woth the money with out the info?

also how much better was that system?was it negligible, minor, mediocre, high, or very high? a exact answer would be better though.

is this something that you can recommend to a user who would not know what to turn back on if needed? yes you can wipe the os and start fresh but then all your data is well... done... gone... finished.

i don't mean to attack you in anyway or seem rude or offensive. but he asked a honest question and it should be answered.

i understand that this list may deter people from purchasing this product you offer. yet on the other side of the coin it will draw people in who may not have thought the extra $35 was worth it until they learned what they got.

just the phrase "os tweak" will drive the uneducated (not very knowledgeable with computers) people away because a lot of people are not willing to  have their os messed with since they do not know what they are doing and wont know what to turn back on if needed. with a published list they can turn back on what they need with out having to start over. on the other side of the coin if they know what they are doing then why would they pay for it when they can do it themselves for free.

i strongly feel this list should be published in the forums but only be able to be viewed by members. a knowlegable customer is a smarter customer who is a happier customer. so far this is the only thing that i have found at ds that they keep top secret.
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:09am
they can't list the services because then everybody can do the same thing themselves, and it would not be fair to the people that paid for it, cause with that list everybody else can do it for free.

if you have the os tweak, and want to know what it is, I think the best way to go about it is calling them or emailing them, that way at least the list won't be in front of everybody's eyes.

I know Alex says they have seen differences, but I never seen it, some of them may make a very small difference in boot time, but if you setup your own stuff correctly and not let everything boot up with windows then you should not notice it.

you bring me a tweaked os and let me let me bring one that I setup without disabling services DS disables and I'm sure you will not notice a difference, however as you see when you do need those services, it can be problematic.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 8:51am
tweaking windows will effect benchmarks, and overall performance. Plain and simple. Most tweaks are very minimal, but when you add them up, it does make a difference. Not much, but a difference.
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:03pm
For starters, DST4ME is right in that what they do to Windows is something called PROPRIETARY information. 

Someone (who is probably paid very well) spent alot of time figuring out how to adjust Windows in such a way as to speed it up a significant amount without affecting any mainstream functions...in other words, the effects (other than the speed increase) would not be noticeable to 99.9% of the users. 

Why should Alex tell you, (and by doing so tell all of DS competitors!),
what the tweaks are?

They spent $$$ doing something unusual and now want to get something back for their labor.

IT IS CALLED A RETURN ON THEIR INVESTMENT.

As far as the effect it has, I haven't bought it, so I can't say,
HOWEVER, I have read the review that Alex is talking about.  ..
they were so impressed with the increase in speed (if I remember right it was about 10% but don't hold me to it), that they spent alot of time investigating it, trying to find out what was done, trying to break it and doing everything they could to slow it down.

In the end, all they could say was that whatever had been done was a TRUE increase in speed and was worth the money for those who want to get every nanosecond(my word) out of their system.

I ran across the review by accident googling somehting else so if you look for it yourself it shouldn't be to hard to find.  (now that I think of it, I believe it might
have been a review on an DS i5 system????)

So Raif, the answer to your speed increase question was, according to the review, about 10%.

I will rely on Alex or someone else to tell me if my memory is off.

In the meantime Raif, lighten up a little....it is your money and you can do with it as you please.  Personally I would not order it but that is only because I am old
and things are too fast for me as it is......plus, as you mention, there might be issues further down the road with updates, restores, etc.  Nothing that can't be taken care of. just something to keep in mind to keep things in order.

So take a chill pill, lol and

Cheers
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:04pm

Here's proof from a review of one of our systems by HotHardware that actually checked against our service to see if it really mattered:

The 'OEM Image' is how it left our facility with the OS tweaks, and the 'Clean Install' was when they formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows.

Edited by Alex - 11 Jan 2010 at 12:06pm
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:13pm
so much for my memory.....it was more like 20%. 
Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 3:47pm
wow i didn't mean to be aggressive sorry i didn't mean it to come out that way... i see your point that they can just do it for free with that list.

there has to be a way for this list to happen maybe or a variation of some sort as dst said phone or email or a pass worded topic. or maybe the customer can call or e-mail that person and tell them what the problem is and they tell them which process to re-enable.  the customer will then get the info to re-enable the process they need and will not have to start over from scratch.

i understand that this is someones job to figure out which processes are not crucial, and a public list would possibly make him/her no longer needed. if the customer can't get help then they have to start over losing countless hours of gaming on saves or countless hours of art work and countless ours of work. to a customer that is not very incentive to pay for a service unless it can be undone with out them losing everything.

there has to be some middle ground here that keeps you guys protected and that gives peace of mind to the customer that if needed things can be changed with out losing everything.
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 3:47pm
yes well read the whole article:
There are three basic variables in play here. The performance differences we've seen could be the result of changes to the hard drive, customized driver optimizations, or changes to Windows and how it performs certain operations. We can throw the first out immediately—we have not changed hard drives, updated firmware, or changed default block sizes. The second remains a possibility, the third is the company's explanation. To be frank, we'd be happier if we'd been able to duplicate (or come within a reasonable margin of duplicating) the company's results based on the changes we've made to the OS environment.

Again, we see a performance gain of approximately 16 percent. If we break out the results of each individual application, the two OS installations track each other closely in virtually all cases

the difference is very little and not worth it, you will not see any gain from it in games and etc either.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 3:49pm
what article?
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 4:02pm
The one Alex posted pics from.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 4:12pm
@Raif,

In the event that you need to re-store your OS, and you can't or don't want to use the supplied custom image disk. After verifying that you've paid for the 'Tweak OS' service, our techs can walk you through it.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 4:26pm
but if u got it for free threw a promotion your dead in water? why would you not want to use the disk out of curiosity? where is this pics forum i can't find it?

Edited by Raif - 11 Jan 2010 at 4:28pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 5:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply