FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this a good budget PC?

Post Date: 2018-05-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is this a good budget PC?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [7.69%]
1 [7.69%]
11 [84.62%]

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mr. Oreo Man View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mr. Oreo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Is this a good budget PC?
    Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:49pm
Can any tell me if this is a good budget PC build? Are there any major ways to improve it or make it cheaper? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tDNh3b is my parts list. This was my first build, so I heavily based it on other builds I found. If you're wondering about my choice to not have a GPU, it's because of the GPU price inflation. I was planning on upgrading with maybe a rx580 next year when hopefully prices will come down. BTW, I do have another option of the Vanquish 1. If there are major advantages to the Vanquish 1 then I will take that instead.

Budget:
$1000 (around $250 is preferably for peripherals)

Expectations:
At least 60FPS at 1080p on medium settings

Usage:
Gaming, mostly Overwatch.

Special Needs:
Would prefer an optical drive.
Tomsal View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tomsal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:27pm
Hi. For your budget your list is ok. Though it would change up your mobo selection, I personally prefer Intel to AMD (in exhaustive bench-marking -- meaning many games tested -- the same price point Intel chip edges out like class AMD chips more than the reverse is true) that being said the i5-8400 (Tom's Hardware's best value gaming CPU of 2018) is literally just $19 more than the Ryzen 5 2400. For that extra $19 you get 2 more cores and a slightly higher boost on the primary core (AMD's 3.9 vs Intels 4.0). Not gonna BS you and say that's a world of difference but IMO $20 is definitely worth the edge out in overall performance.

I'm relatively new to these forums so I don't know how much DS frowns on suggesting to visitors to buy parts (versus buying computers from them) from other vendors in the first place so this whole thread may be taboo here. That said -- if I'm being honest if you can only spend $1000 *AND* that has to include peripherals not to mention a monitor (as your parts list includes)..no premium custom gaming PC builder will better that for just $1000.

If I wanted a qaulity built gaming system but was very concerned with budget I'd try at a minimum for Vanguish level II...for $1200 that's a very good starter gaming rig...of course that's without a monitor though.

Edited by Tomsal - 30 May 2018 at 3:37pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2018 at 11:10pm
The only taboo we have here regarding builds is the naming of other computer building companies, even to criticize.

@Tomsal: your point is well taken re: the slight edge Intel has in the CPU. However, the Ryzen 5 2400 has a very superior onboard video capability Intel can't match. Since he'll be gaming on this build until he chooses a card later, that's critical.

@Mr. Oreo Man: I recommend you go for the Vanquish Lvl 1. It's a pretty ideal set-up for a budget rig you upgrade later with a card of your choosing, and even an SSD and more ram if you want. You don't have to build it yourself; it's stress-tested by experts; and it'll have a one year warranty on the whole thing. And it's a pretty good looking getup that comes with a lightshow.

If none of that sways you, I think you chose wisely from what I see. Stick with the Ryzen, the video you'll get with that will surprise you, and it's not going to gimp your build down the road. You could put a 1060 or 1070 equivalent in there and get 144 Hz easy.

Quote Mr. Oreo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2018 at 7:03pm
@Cretae Which one has better performance? I don't care wether I build it myself or buy a prebuilt. I kind of want to experience building a PC, so that evens out the advantages of prebuilt (less risky, warrantee, looks nicer). The reason I was leaning towards dyi before was because I've heard that dyi is cheaper than prebuilt, but I'm new to PC building so I don't really know.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 12:54am
Your DIY has 16 GB of RAM and an SSD for primary drive, but no operating system at the same price point as Vanquish 1. Vanquish has a 2GB HHD, stress testing, a warranty, AND WINDOWS 10. That's the difference. When the build is complete, you hope it works or....

Like I said, DS builds it, those are very simple upgrades later, but you have a system you know will work out of the box. Your choice.

If you're asking which GPU has better performance, it's obviously the 1070. If all you need down the line is 60 frames at medium, you're getting that. But then don't buy a 144 Hz monitor. You'd need a 1060 or better to get 144 frames. 1060 will max some games, 1070 will max everything.

Quote Mr. Oreo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 7:39am
Did you mean 2tb HDD? 2gb HDD would be less than the RAM...
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 4:49pm
Yes,obviously.
 Post Reply Post Reply