FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is this a good build?

Post Date: 2021-02-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
warfare56 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warfare56 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: is this a good build?
    Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:38am
I'm planing to buy a new desktop that can play RDR2 and Cyberpunk 2077 at over 60fps at ultra settings and can support ray tracing

also i have plans to buy ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphic card later down the road when I save enough.

is this setup good enough for now? This will be my first build and I never done anything like this before. Been using laptops almost all of my life

System Configuration:Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-10850K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS / MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE (Intel Z490) (Up to 3x PCI-E) (No SLI)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz G.Skill TridentZ (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by warfare56 - 25 Feb 2021 at 8:47am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 4:23am
It will work. It's has some issues I can make you aware of, but it will play a lot of games. The main thing that sticks out is the question why you would consider a 2080 Ti when an RTX 3070 is newer tech with performance that can almost match, and sometimes surpass (ray tracing for one thing) the older card. By the time you save up for whatever you think you can buy a 2080 Ti for, the 3070s will very likely be back down to normal prices. Comparisons I've viewed online show barely any noticeable difference between them, and the MSRP on the 3070 is $500 when you can get it.

Now, the rig. The intel build is almost obsolete on the PCIe Generation 3 bus. By March 30, the new line of Rocket Lake Intel CPUs will be out with 20 lanes of PCIe Generation4 and faster everything. The Samsung 970 is a PCIe 3 part and more than30% slower than the PCIe 4 Firecudas and the Samsung 980. The DS M.2 SSD for Storage 2 is odd there because it's a SATA part, not the much faster NVMe. The better quality Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD is actually cheaper.

For gaming, you won't need more than 16 GB of RAM. The extra will mostly be a waste.

You may not know, but AMD has risen above the current crop of Intel parts and platforms. If you can't wait for Intel PCIe 4, you should know AMD CPUs and boards have been PCIe 4 for over a year, and you sacrifice nothing important with one of the brand new Ryzen 5800X procs.

For the same $ as yours, consider this AMD build:

3790289      $2276 To see it in the configurator, go to to the main page, upper right > "Load Config" and copy/paste that #.

Instead of the 32GB of Ram, I'd rather you have the strong MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard and the much faster 500GB Firecuda SSD. Smaller is better in the primary drive for easier management and ultra-fast scanning. Basically, that speed benefits everything you do in your OS and apps, but doesn't do that much for gaming. You'll have room for several of your favorites, but your main library can go on the Samsung SSD.

Definitely want the dual fan cooler, and I left the GPU to you. You can bite the bullet and pay extra for the 3070 now, or save up for later, but don't expect much from the 1650.

The Internal Lighting is free.

It's a lot of info, so I expect you may have a question or two. If so, be sure to mention what monitor resolution you want to game at.
warfare56 View Drop Down

Quote warfare56 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:12am
thanks for the insight. I will do the recommend GeForce RTX 3070 later down the road. (hopefully within 6 months) I'm just getting what I can now with my income taxes and stimulus check in a few weeks and save up for the upgraded graphic card later

after some editing, I changed a few things to my liking and came up with this
#3790463 $2,411
still within my price range

if I have enough, I will bite the bullet and get the 3070
3790475 $2,958.00
look like a extra 650$

Edited by warfare56 - 26 Feb 2021 at 8:30am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 3:24am
You really want a 500GB SATA SSD for drive 2? A small NVMe speed demon for Drive 1 and a larger Samsung SATA SSD for drive 2 is a way better and cheaper arrangement.

Repeat after me: "Smaller is better in the primary drive for easier management and ultra-fast scanning. Basically, that speed benefits everything you do in your OS and apps, but doesn't do that much for gaming. You'll have room for several of your favorites, but your main library can go on the Samsung SSD."

You have it backwards for no reason. Samsung makes top of the line SSDs, and the 1TB is actually cheaper than the 1TB DS M.2. A 500 GB SATA drive will overflow in no time at all while the extra $165 you spent on the larger Firecuda saves you a whole 3-4 seconds when you load a game. That is all you will get for that. My way gets you $93 closer to the 3070, and is the much more efficient set-up.

You can trust me. I've done this awhile.
 Post Reply Post Reply