FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is this build good?

Post Date: 2019-02-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ruthless View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ruthless Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: is this build good?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:39am
Planning on purchasing this beast of a computer in the next week or so I’m already over my budget but if need I’m willing to spend more just needed more opinions on it.

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000 (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (6TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair HD Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Edited by Ruthless - 04 Feb 2019 at 9:40am
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:38am
Grab a Corsair AIO. The Vortex is good, but it's warranty is meh.... Never go cheap on cooling, if it was me. And I needed to save some cash I would grab the 9700k which runs a bit cooler if you're going to stick with the Vortex. Just my thoughts.

Another idea if it's money holding you back. Downgrade that 32 GB of ram, I'm sure you can survive off 16 GB unless you are doing massive work that requires 32 GB.
Ruthless View Drop Down

Quote Ruthless Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:01am
Originally posted by ThePinkGoat

Grab a Corsair AIO. The Vortex is good, but it's warranty is meh.... Never go cheap on cooling, if it was me. And I needed to save some cash I would grab the 9700k which runs a bit cooler if you're going to stick with the Vortex. Just my thoughts.

Another idea if it's money holding you back. Downgrade that 32 GB of ram, I'm sure you can survive off 16 GB unless you are doing massive work that requires 32 GB.

That’s a good idea wouldn’t even of thought about that I’ll probably move it up to the stage 2 Corsair because I know cooling is one of the most important parts
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:36pm
Welcome to the forums Ruthless! Good build.

I agree with PinkGoat the cooler change to the better Stage 2 Corsair is smart.

I noticed your Drive1 selection was just a SATAIII Samsung SSD. Think you should utilize the faster m.2 memory slots on your top line motherboard and upgrade to use a Samsung 970 EVO or EVO Pro m.2 NVME SSD for Drive1. Much faster m.2 NVME memory uses the PCIE bus your graphics card uses...instead of sharing a slot on the slower SATAIII bus.

You haven’t mentioned your plans for this rig, but the top of line Asus Hero motherboard you chose is aimed more at heavy overclockers and 2x or 3x SLI users.   If that’s not in your plans, you could easily drop to a lower priced Asus Prime Deluxe or Asus ROG Strix or MSI Pro Carbon motherboard to save yourself some money while still allowing for plenty of overclocking and future SLI.   Just a thought... if a little subtraction helps your numbers work out better, those other boards would also play nice with all your build selections.   Nothing wrong with your build choice of that Asus Hero board, and plenty of us on the forums just prefer a certain level of extras or overkill in our own motherboard choices.     

Edited by HockeyBuck - 04 Feb 2019 at 8:25pm
Ruthless View Drop Down

Quote Ruthless Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Welcome to the forums Ruthless! Good build.

I agree with PinkGoat the cooler change to the better Stage 2 Corsair is smart.

I noticed your Drive1 selection was just a SATAIII Samsung SSD. Think you should utilize the faster m.2 memory slots on your top line motherboard and upgrade to use a Samsung 970 EVO or EVO Pro m.2 NVME SSD for Drive1. Much faster m.2 NVME memory uses the PCIE bus your graphics card uses...instead of sharing a slot on the slower SATAIII bus.

You haven’t mentioned your plans for this rig, but the top of line Asus Hero motherboard you chose is aimed more at heavy overclockers and 2x or 3x SLI users.   If that’s not in your plans, you could easily drop to a lower priced Asus Prime Deluxe or Asus ROG Strix or MSI Pro Carbon motherboard to save yourself some money while still allowing for plenty of overclocking and future SLI.   Just a thought... if a little subtraction helps your numbers work out better, those other boards would also play nice with all your build selections.   Nothing wrong with your build choice of that Asus Hero board, and plenty of us on the forums just prefer a certain level of extras or overkill in our own motherboard choices.     

Thanks for the tips main use is going to be for streaming/recording
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:07pm
That does better explain your uses for 32gb RAM.
Let us know what your final build looks like...
Should be a very solid rig!   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 6:44am
Agree heartily about the cooler and the NVMe M.2 drive. the Samsung 970 PRO is only $52 more than your pick, and up to 10X as fast!

The mobo is total overkill with no purpose. I recommend the MSI Pro Carbon. Better customer service than Asus should you ever need it.

The power supply is also way more than you need. The Corsair 750 Watt is the right pick. That would deliver between 250-300W overhead, which is well in the comfort zone.

Another cost-saver to consider is cutting back to 16 GB of RAM. See how that works for you, it should be enough for what you want. If not, it's about the easiest upgrade there is. You should get the exact same Ram later, but you'll save as much as $80 getting it on your own.

Hope it helps.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 6:55am
NVME vs SSD on a boot drive is negligible at best in difference. The NVME wins in write but on boot the drive reads so SSD or NVME is practically the same. I personally use my nvme for long load games. Just reporting.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:34am
I highly doubt Streaming/recording will never come close to needing more than 16 GB of ram. People buy the 32 GB for the RGB and the look IMO. I'm sure we have 1% of the base that needs 32 GB. Everyone else buys it like they're buying RGB. Because it looks cool. Not meant to put anyone down, it's just a waste of 200 bucks iMO.
Ruthless View Drop Down

Quote Ruthless Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:19am
Went ahead and upgraded storage and the motherboard change will probably happen only difference is the ROG has wifi which ill never use but its a cool option to have and power supply just gonna keep it the same not much of a price difference.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:00am
Actually hardware unboxed just did a video of the current ram usage in games alone. 16gb is the new 8gb with some games actually using a good bit (11gb+). So when you add in other applications such as obs you could see usages spike to near 16 and with a lot of modules ect you could see that surpass 16 even. With that said I did just upgrade my 16gb to 32gb (4x8) Corsair vengeance pro RGB. Mainly for speed (2666 vs 3200) and also for the RGB lmao. Could have gone with a lower tier and saved some cash but meh.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:11am
I suppose if you're paying cash and not using credit for the purchase then it makes sense. Otherwise it's a big waste of $$$
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 4:33am
Actually, the Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC does have wifi. Don't know why it doesn't just come out and say so.

@ Psyoshi: I understand real world use vs specs, but what the heck happens to the nearly 7x read speed on NVMe vs SATA? What impedes that much of a differential? No challenge, just askin'.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 4:54am
Not enough loading on boot to mean much in general between SATA and NVME.   Maybe a few seconds, although I never compared the two.   My NVME boots to desktop in like 5 seconds or less.      My take.....might as well get the fastest because the NVME Drive won’t be for just booting, for most.   It does come down to how fast do you need, but since when do we buy for our needs.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 5:36am
Originally posted by bprat22

My take.....might as well get the fastest because the NVME Drive won’t be for just booting, for most.   It does come down to how fast do you need, but since when do we buy for our needs.

Now that's what I'M talkin' about!
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:00am
@Cretae Sequential read of a SSD and NVME is actually almost neck and neck not 7x faster. The write on the other hand is like 4x faster. I have done lots of testing in this. I have a Samsung 970 Evo Pro NVME, adata SSD, and a platter drive running paired with 32gb of Intel optane. They boot at the same speed with the optane having hiccups if not booted often. If you went with a 1TB boot drive the Evo makes sense since you could store games on it as well since your OS is gonna eat a lot of that real estate.
 Post Reply Post Reply