FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this build good

Post Date: 2020-08-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bigrr1985 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bigrr1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Is this build good
    Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 7:48pm
Is this a good build looking to play games like new world

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K (5.1 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.8 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z490-P / MSI Z490-A Pro (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Single Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
ErikW View Drop Down

Quote ErikW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 10:25pm
You might want to post what you plan to do with the system.  It will help people give you advice about whether it is a good build for that purpose.

I can make some general comments that might be helpful.  For gaming and most desktop applications, the Core i7 with 8 cores will be more than enough.  Even my Core i7 with 4 cores isn't kept busy playing games or running most desktop applications.  You also made a good choice with a higher clock speed rather than adding a lot of CPU cores.  Only some games and other programs can really make use of  more CPU cores, but a higher clock speed will speed up almost any application.

You might want to consider more cores is if you are going to do something special like games specifically designed for multiple cores, or running a lot of operating systems in virtual machines.  Even for those applications, 8 cores is going to be good.  Because of technical limitations, the clock rates are not going to go much above 5 Ghz. until a major breakthrough occurs, and that's likely to be a completely different type of CPU (not based on CMOS).  Your CPU will be fast enough for a long time, and you probably won't run out of cores unless software design changes drastically.

The graphics card that you chose GeForce RTX 2060 6GB (VR Ready) looks like a good mid range card that should play most games.  Check the requirements for the games you want to play just to be sure.  Unless you have money to burn, you are better off to not buy the latest and greatest, fastest graphics card.  Even if you upgrade later, you might end up saving money because prices are going to drop over time.  I give people the same advice about graphics cards that I do about laptops.  Most people should buy just a little bit more than they need, because they go obsolete or fail and you end up replacing them.  If you're not using all that extra performance then you're wasting money. Graphics cards are a completely different story from CPUs because graphics processing can use a lot of parallel processing and memory access speed is a limiting factor for doing the processing.  Graphics cards will continue to improve for quite a while and they will go obsolete before the rest of the computer.

Is your SSD big enough for the operating system and games you want to install, along with any personal files that you need to access quickly?  File access is the thing that limits most modern applications and SSD makes a big difference.  You might want to consider using RAID 0 for your hard disks (not the SSD) to speed up access.  2 1TB drives in a RAID 0 configuration will be faster than a single 2 TB drive and the Core i7 has enough speed and cores to handle the extra processing for RAID 0 which is minimal.  RAID 1 or especially RAID 5 will use more processing but is still not going to slow down the Core i7 a lot.  You really don't need the other RAID modes unless you are storing really critical data on the hard disks and don't do backups

People will tell you that using RAID 0 increases the failure rate, but the jury is still out on that.  I have been using RAID 0 and not seeing any higher failure rates than running a single drive.  I will warn you that Western Digital drives tend to fail completely without warning, and are not good to use for RAID 0.  Seagate and others tend to give you some warning and keep working for a while before they completely fail.  The problem is that WD puts the drive firmware on the disk and if that part of the disk has bad areas, the drive may completely die.

There are two different ways you can do RAID 0 with the system.  One is the Intel "fake hardware raid" that is done with the BIOS and a special  OS driver from Intel.  The other is to use Windows RAID.  Both kinds are software RAID done by your Core i7 CPU.  The Intel RAID is compatible with other operating systems accessing the data.  The Windows RAID is only compatible with Windows.  I don't recommend a hardware RAID card because they are expensive and you need battery backup to avoid problems with data loss.  Unless you are doing fault tolerant RAID like RAID 5 your Core i7 can handle the processing just fine.

Edited by ErikW - 26 Aug 2020 at 10:32pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 4:00am
It seems you are looking at the base custom Lynx on the configurator. Here's the thing. You can upgrade the mobo to the Asus TUF, upgrade the PSU to an 850W, and upgrade Storage Set 1 to a Seagate Firecuda 500GB NVMe for $9 more. That's right, $9. Those upgrades will get you to $2085 where there is a $200 discount netting out at $1885. Each upgrade is a VERY good idea, especially the NVMe SSD which is up to 5 times faster than the DS SATA drive in the standard build.

What ErikW said about the CPU and GPU is right on. Stay with that. My advice about storage is to just add a SATA SSD when you need more room on the Firecuda. That will be quite awhile down the road, and it's an easy upgrade. For $109 you could swap in a 1TB Samsung SSD right now for the 2TB HDD.
Bigrr1985 View Drop Down

Quote Bigrr1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 4:34am
Price is not a problem for me am just looking to play games load fast and play on high settings if anyone can come up with a good build for me
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 4:58am
Highest settings at 1080p monitor resolution in the Lumos case with bling:

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3345950 - SKU 2828424     
     $2,775.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K (5.1 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.8 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS / MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE (Intel Z490) (Up to 3x PCI-E) (No SLI)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

-- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $200 - SKU 99940     1           ($200.00)

$2575 with discount.
Bigrr1985 View Drop Down

Quote Bigrr1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 9:36am
That looks good that might be my new pc thank you for the help
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 3:59am
My pleasure. The Lumos case is the most popular custom choice for showing off, if you care for that.

You could save money (almost $400 I think) and still get the bling if you want. Just go back to the Lynx case, and you get the lights. They sell more of those than any other due to price. You don't get Corsairs, but I believe there is some kind of controller.
Bigrr1985 View Drop Down

Quote Bigrr1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 5:00pm
All good my order is already in and being processed
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:45am
You should be happy with that rig for several years.
Bigrr1985 View Drop Down

Quote Bigrr1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 5:35am
The last one I built it myself and it lasted me 20 years but last 5 years everything was on low settings
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Bigrr1985

The last one I built it myself and it lasted me 20 years but last 5 years everything was on low settings

Nice! Have you tried the New World Beta yet this week?
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Bigrr1985 View Drop Down

Quote Bigrr1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 5:03pm
I was Playing the new world beta and my computer I made over heated now I need new ram and a new cpu
Bigrr1985 View Drop Down

Quote Bigrr1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 7:20pm
My order is on stage 4 I can’t wait but now am worried that the side of the case will smash in shipping fingers crossed for everything good
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 3:50am
Not to worry too much. DS computers are very well packaged to survive shipping. While occasionally anything could happen, only a tiny percentage of DS rigs are damaged in shipping, but crossed fingers certainly won't hurt.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 5:17am
The vast majority of packages that are shipped arrive undamaged. BUT, then and again there is that broken machine, "I lost my grip" fell in the truck rounding a corner at 90mph or angry delivery person that is just pee-ed off at the world.

During the shipping phase of any high value item I have ordered, I have everything crossed.............. just in case. lol

Edited by fwfdfireman - 19 Sep 2020 at 5:19am
Jordak24 View Drop Down

Quote Jordak24 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 7:25am
My Lumos build traveled from Cal. to Ga. without any problems. I too was a little worried with 4 sides of glass, but it was packed very well and all was well when it arrived. You can watch a few you tube reviews from people that have ordered and received their builds and most will show you what to expect when it arrives . Good luck

Edited by Jordak24 - 19 Sep 2020 at 7:28am
ApC
 Post Reply Post Reply