FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs this computer config right for me?

Post Date: 2010-02-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Is this computer config right for me?
    Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:51am
Greetings Digital Storm Forum! I have recently finished configuring my DT computer, and I would like some advice on it. The results are as follows:

Specifications:Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Elite 310Exterior Finish: - Not AvailableTrim Accents: - Not AvailableProcessor: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Quad Core)Motherboard: EVGA P55M SLI  (Intel P55 Chipset)System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)Expansion Bay: - Not AvailableHard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)Set 1 Raid Options: - Not AvailableHard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No ThanksHard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No ThanksOptical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)Optical Drive 2: - No ThanksInternet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)Add-on Card: - No ThanksSound Card: Integrated Motherboard AudioExtreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i5/AMD Processors)H20 Tube Color:- Not AvailableChassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis FansInternal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)Enhancements: - Not AvailableChassis Mods: - Not AvailableNoise Reduction: - Not AvailableBoost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stabilityBoost Memory: - Not AvailableBoost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating systemWindows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)Virus Protection: - Not AvailableOffice: - Not AvailableBenchmarking: - Not AvailableInstall/Test Game: FREE: Please include a free copy of a hot-selling gameDisplay: - No ThanksSurge Shield: - No ThanksSpeakers: - No ThanksKeyboard: - No ThanksMouse: - No Thanks

I am wondering if this configuration is right for me. I am a college student, and I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer by any means. I mostly play Blizzard games, such as Diablo 2, World of Warcraft, and hopefully Starcraft 2 when it comes out. The other games I play are much older, at least 5 to 10 years old. However, when I do play games, I want them to be at the highest level of resolution and graphics setting that I can get. In this sense, I am something of a graphics enthusiast. I also will be viewing movies on my computer, with several applications running in the background (I like to make my computer work, after all). But since I am not running any extremly demanding graphic games such as Crysis, I'm wondering if a Digital Storm computer is right for me. I am drawn to them in part of my desire for excellent graphics, but also due to the idea of longevity. They create quality computers with outstanding components, and this means the computer will last for quite a while. This appeals to me, as longevity and durability are both very important to me in considering my computer purchase. However, I just need to be sure that this rig is right for me, as I don't want to buy more computer than I need, and not take full advantage of some wonderful hardware. On the other hand, I want a computer that will defintely last me at least 5 years, and I don't want to have to worry about upgrading it every 8 months. So if there is another computer manufactuerer that might be better suited for my needs, please let me know. That way, I can avoid buying a fabulous computer, but a wrong one.

Although I am on a fixed budget, I am willing to spend big on the computer, if it means that it will last for a good duration and will thus pay off in the long run. Thus, should I stick with this minamilist build, or would it be a better value for me to get the next step up? I haven't selected a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or speakers yet because I'm not sure which would be best for me. I want these choices to complement and optimize my CPU's performance, so I definitely need some help with that. Thank you for your time and patience in reading my post, and any advice, tips, guides, etc would be gratefully appreciated.

Happy Gaming!

Dio Tongue

Edited by Diogones - 25 Feb 2010 at 4:21pm
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov, from his novel 'Foundation.'
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 3:00am
What resolution will you be gaming at?
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 1:00pm
Well that is a good question. It really all depends on what size of monitor I should get. Which resolution do you think would be best for the specs I posted?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov, from his novel 'Foundation.'
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 1:25pm
it all depends on the budget, but it is hard to go wrong with most of the 22" LCD's if that is not big enough I would go with a 25.5" or 26" the 23"-25" I don't like.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 1:45pm
Thank you for your opinion. But may I ask, why don't you like the 23 and 25 inch monitors? Is it too difficult to get a good resolution with those sizes?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 1:57pm
IMHO, they produce a funky size text, you go up in resolution, but little in screen size, going up to 25.5" or 26" things seem normal again. we have now 4 26" and 2 25.5" and my main is still a 23.5...some day I will up it to. I like the 22"'s, hard to beat $150-$160 shipped for a decent sized monitor.
for a lot better picture quality, and getting rid of the piss poor viewing angles you need to step up to a lot more expensive screen, and I don't think that is what you are looking for ATM.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 1:59pm
you don't build a pc and match the monitor to it, you get the monitor and match the gpus to it.

if you got $500 I think manybe one of the members can help you with a coupon so you can get the Dell UltraSharp U2410 which is a good monitor.

however your gpu (250 gts)is not gonna be able to handle that res, that gpu can give you maybe 40 fps at 1200 x 1000 with 4x aa and 16x af.

what is your budget for this pc?

I still don't understand what funky text you guys are talking about, my 24" is perfect as far as that stuff goes.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Feb 2010 at 2:00pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:06pm
come on over, I will put a 22" 23", 24" 25.5", 26" side by side and you will see. lol
but I recommended the 22" first because it would work with his GPU, sure would be nice to put a little more powerful GPU in there, but if that is the budget then thats it.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:09pm
Yes, building the graphics to match the monitor certainly makes sense. My budget is about $1500 to $2000, because as I mentioned, if you think it would last me several years, I believe it will be a worthwhile investment.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:10pm
justin I Have a 30" monitors, 24" monitors, 22" monitors, 19 monitors, I have access to 27" monitors (1900 x 1200). and I don't see what you guys are talking about.

22" for his budget would be good but that 250 is not gonna do well at 1600 x 1200, not with the highest settings and bells and whistles that he wants.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Feb 2010 at 2:11pm
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:17pm
Alright, well I can certainly get a stronger graphic card then. Which would you recommend for me to match a 22 inch at full resolution and max graphics?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:18pm
5850 will give you what you want at 1600 x 1200 (22")

most games you will be able to get 8x aa and 16x af and highest games settings.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Feb 2010 at 2:19pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:19pm
most are 1680x1050, and he won't be able to crank up the eye candy, but still will run most games and on decent settings,  is the 5770 much of a price jump here?
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:22pm
Would it be more economical to get dual graphics cards? Or is that unnecessary for my purposes?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:26pm
single gpu solution is always better that way you wil avoid any cf bugs and driver problems.

can you tell me how much that config of yours cost?

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Feb 2010 at 2:27pm
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:27pm
Ok, so the 5850 graphics card would be ideal?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:29pm
if you want 50 to 60 fps for smooth gaming and 8x aa and 16x af then yes the 5850.

a 260 gtx or 275 gtx will do great also but they dont' support dx11.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Feb 2010 at 2:31pm
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 2:38pm
Will the 5850 also be able to support 1080 HD viewing?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 4:00pm
if you mean movies and stuff, yes, for movies and etc, res does not matter, for games it does, cause the higher the res to more gpu power you need to run it with the highest settings and aa and af.
TheTrickster View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 4:28pm
Maybe show him some benchmarks (at the same resolution he'll be using, in several different games)?  Perhaps it will help him out Cool

Edited by TheTrickster - 25 Feb 2010 at 4:28pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 5:18pm
I have benchmarks but not for the games he plays. If he just wants to play those games a 5770 will due like justing said but for games like farcry2 a 5850 would be better.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 5:41pm
Ok great, I've selected the 5850. Will that work for everything maxed out with a 1920x1080 resolution?
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 5:50pm
Another thought I have. Since I'm trying to keep costs down, what kind of graphics card could I use with just a 17 or 18 inch monitor? The 5850 may be a bit too expensive for my budget. Would it be easy to upgrade it later?

Edited by Diogones - 25 Feb 2010 at 5:51pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 6:10pm
gpu is easy to upgrade.

for 1900 x 1200 you need a 5870 to max games out with high aa and af.

for 1600 x 1200 you need a 5850 to max games out with high aa and af.

what is the res of the 17 or 18" monitor? if its under 1600 x 1200 then a 5770 should do the trick.

if you want to be able to upgrade the cpu in few years to one of the 6 core cpus coming out this year, then go with an i7 920, otherwise stay with the i5 750 you have.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 7:18pm
Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated! However, I am uncertain what you mean when you mentioned high aa and af. Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean?
I will upgrade to an i7, because you are right, it may be a bit much for my needs now, but it will defintely help the longevity of my computer.

Edited by Diogones - 25 Feb 2010 at 7:18pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 7:57pm
Anti-aliasing (aa) makes the game look smoother.

Anisotropic Filtering (af) helps clear up the image if you will.

the higher you set aa the more gpu power or vram you might need.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Feb 2010 at 7:58pm
Monstromo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 10:04pm

In your first post you asked whether you should go with this minimalistic build or whether it was worth it to move up.

I played around with the configurations and it seems to me that the i7-920 builds are give more value for the money.  But that means more out of pocket though.

As some around here already know that I support i5-750 builds but it is clear that DS really is geared toward higher end systems.

Also, with the build in your first post I note that there is a $214 dollar difference between going with a 5770 and a 5850.  That may look like a budget buster.  But as has been discussed it all depends on your monitor and I am still not clear on what monitor you are likely to buy.

Pro Case 850W Green Cathode
Intel Quad Q6600
790i Mobo
4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
260 216 OC Video Card
150/150GB 10k Raptor RAID
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Vista 64Bit Ultimate
22" Samsung
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 11:04pm

Well I decided to confirm your statement, and you are correct about the different builds. The starting i7-920 builds start with a better motherboard, more RAM, and of course the better processor, all for only a few hundred dollars more. You mentioned that Digital Storm is geared toward higher end systems, and I think you are right. That was why, in my original post, I asked whether it would be right for me, as the higher end build you suggest may be too much power for me. Nevertheless, it has been stated in previous posts that, since I insist on playing the games I do enjoy on the highest settings and at the max settings, while still allowing for several other programs to run simultaneously, I should go with the 5850. I'm curious though; I noticed a nice price difference between getting a single 5850 card and getting a dual 5750. Would they give a similar performance, or is the 5850 so powerful that even going crossfire with the 5750 would still be slower?

I could go with an i5-750 build with an upgraded i7 card, motherboard, and RAM with a liquid cooling system to allow for overclocking and still be under the standard i7-920 build, so that might be my best bet, given that I still need to purchase the monitor. To answer your question, I have decided to get a 22 inch HD monitor, as I have found one at an acceptable price.

One of the overarching reasons for going with a Digital Storm, however, is that it is built to last, with the ability to keep it current and relevant through upgrades. For someone like me, it should be all I will ever need, hopefully. Thank you for your help, and in answering my questions.
Monstromo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 11:34pm

It seems like if you choose the lowest end value/budget build configuration that moving up to a slightly better CPU makes sense, since the retail value of those CPU's are more in line with the bottom line cost of the configuration than if you go with the i5-750.  DS penalizes you for choosing the i5-750.  I suppose it is because they aren't profitable selling true budget systems like ibuypower or cyberpower (which I don't recommend).

So yes, I think upgrading the CPU and mobo makes sense.  I don't think the RAM needs to change because I don't think you will realize any performance increase in what is primarily a gaming machine.  I also don't think that liquid cooling is at all necessary in your build.

Regarding the idea to go with a dual GPU system with two 5750 vs. a single 5850, I don't support.   While AMD/ATI has made some strides in dealing with the driver compatibility issues and micro stutter attendant to crossfire set ups it still isn't as elegant as a single GPU solution.  Also, because you are going with a 1920X1080 resolution (22" is a nice size but it's the rez that matters) a 5850 is the way to go.

Digital Storm is a good company.  And their 3 year warranty is a good one stronger than the 1 year warranties that you get with other builders. (1 year parts, 3 year labor is the standard).  However, they aren't perfect.  I know this personally.  But I will say that when they screw up they try hard to rectify the situation.  My order number is 5413 and I am happy to have any employee of DS to look at my service record and verify what I am saying.

The only way you can beat what Digital Storm offers is to build it yourself and be your own service tech.  However, it takes a lot of time and effort to become competent enough to do that.  With Digital Storm you get peace of mind.  But when your PC goes down and you have to wait for warranty service that will drive you nuts.  You may find yourself going out to Microcenter buying off of Newegg to replace a part that you can't wait a couple of weeks for warranty service to get your PC up and running.  But that is all part of owning a PC. 

However, if you don't have the know-how to fix it yourself or the time having Digital Storm solve your problems is a good thing.  They will do it faster and better than Dell.  Like I said the only one who can do it better is yourself (after you learn how to do it).

Regarding upgrades it is impossible to truly be ahead of the curve.  You will either spend the money now or spend the money later.  But it terms of value, yes getting a better mobo makes sense for how Digital Storm structures their pricing.

Good luck.
Intel Quad Q6600
790i Mobo
4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
260 216 OC Video Card
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Vista 64Bit Ultimate
22" Samsung
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 4:13am
keep in mind tho with the i5 750 platform, you can't upgrade the cpu to the 6 core cpus, so for the price differene the 920 platform makes more sense, and if you want to do multi tasking then you will need the 6GB of ram.

also so far most of the i5 750 I have seen here have a low oc of 3.3GHz vs the oc of 3.7GH of 920.

now remember what I said about cf/sli:

Originally posted by DST4ME

single gpu solution is always better that way you wil avoid any cf bugs and driver problems.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Feb 2010 at 4:14am
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 3:21pm
Thank you both for your replies, they are extremely helpful!

Ok, I see your argument with the i5 750 config, but what if I were to meet you guys halfway and get the i7 860 instead of the i7 920? Would that still support the 6 core CPU upgrade? What's the oc/GHz of the 860? Would it still be better value to just go 920 and forget it?

I noticed a disparity with your RAM suggestions. DST4ME recommended that I get it, so that I might still multi-task (which is very big for me and my purposes). But Monstromo advised that the RAM will not make a performance difference. I emailed DS and their approach was to get the 6GB upgrade and forget about it. So I'm still confused somewhat on the RAM issue, and whether it is worth my while.

Are you sure I don't need don't need liquid cooling Monstromo? I mean on the one hand I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't really know anything about it, and thus wouldn't want to mess with it if something went wrong inside the tower. And of course, if I can cut that cost, it would help my budget. On the other hand, I thought I would need the cooling upgrade to support the free overclocking of my processor, so I'm unsure where that stands. I could just get a fan upgrade, do you guys think that would be a safer bet? If I go with the i7 920 build, however, the air cooling is only compatible with an i5 processor, and the other non liquid cooling option costs a little bit more.

Ok, I'll just stick with the 5850, both of you have convinced me. Speaking of graphics, I noticed your computer specs and your monitor Monstro. Per chance, do you have this particular 22 inch Samsung screen?           
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001345

Because as luck would have it, I'm thinking about getting that. How has this monitor worked for you? But for an even stronger resolution and more screen real estate I might pay a little extra and go with this:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4938551&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

A 25 inch I-inc monitor. I might have to pay a little more for warranty and service though, so that is still questionable.

What are your opinions on the RAID option? I don't think I'll need either RAID 0 or 1, for two reasons. First, I have an external 500 MB hard drive, so I don't need the extra space. It works very well as a backup for me, and I don't think I should change that. Second, the RAID 0 is probably overkill, since I"m not playing cutting edge, extremely demanding graphic games like Crysis.

What are the advantages to getting a second Optical Drive? Do you think that is necessary for me, or should I just upgrade my single drive and leave it at that? On a side note, does the computer include a PS/2 port for a keyboard? If not, I may upgrade to a USB keyboard, as I think they are better.

You are absolutely right, you can't always be cutting edge. And that's fine, because for my comp uses, that isn't necessary. Just something that will last, has good customer support and service, (read Digital Storm) and can handle games at full speed at max resolution. That is all I really ask. I definitely see your point about Dell though. While I have never personally owned one, I have read several reviews from multiple websites detailing that their customer service isn't exactly first class. Or even third rate. So I will be making a conscious effort to avoid that company, along with HP (shudder). They shoulda stuck with making staplers, as far as I'm concerned.
Thank you again for all your help; at this rate, you guys will have me finding the "perfect comp" (if such a thing exists?) for my needs and budget!

Edited by Diogones - 26 Feb 2010 at 4:11pm
TheTrickster View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 4:23pm
Well I can't answer all of your questions but I'll do my best :P.

An i7 860 and i7 920 are roughly the same price, and the i7 860 uses the 1156 platform just like the i5 750, so no, you can't upgrade to a 6 core in the future with that.  So the 920 (which uses the 1366 platform) would be recommended over the 860.

Well if you get the 920, 6GB of RAM is a good amount.  If you get a i5 750 or i7 860, your stuck choosing between 4GB or 8GB, which IMO, is to little and to much.  6GB seems like the perfect amount to me.

The 5850 is a great choice Ermm.

Well I know DST4 isn't a fan for RAID, and neither am I.  As far as I know, its only like 1-2 seconds faster at most for casual use/gaming.

Edited by TheTrickster - 26 Feb 2010 at 4:24pm
Monstromo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 4:25pm
I was saying that you can trust the Digital Storm brand of RAM and that you won't notice a performance increase in games by going with the more expensive Corsair.  Getting 6GB of RAM is a good idea probably because it is something that most people eventually increase to at least within their first upgrade.

Regarding the CPU just take a look at the cost of CPU.   The i7-920 is the best value.  As a gaming machine all the CPUs will scream FPS in games, but if you ever get into multi-tasking or hyperthreading the i7-920 the best buy at Digital Storm.  Like I said before if you were buying elsewhere a slower CPU could look attractive.

For the games that you are playing overclocking isn't going to make any difference.  If this is exclusively a gaming maching overclocking is just for bragging rights a benchmarking.  However, overclocking is something that extends value.  But is also can shorten the life of a CPU.  The flipside is that with Digital Storm the stable overclock is covered by the warranty service.  However, the build I was looking states: "Overclocking the CPU between 3.3 and 3.9 requires an air cooling upgrade which is free and represents -$35."  DS is just going to give a stable, generally conservative overclock here but still I think the best value overall this the partially pre-configured model with the i7-920.  That is what I had in mind when I said that liquid cooling wasn't necessary.  I'd get it with the i7-920, the 5850, 6GB of DS RAM, and a Corsair PSU like 750W is perfect.  Sure you can get liquid cooling a go for a higher overclock but you pay for it but do the math and the higher overclock isn't guaranteed for the extra money with these models.

My monitor is the 1680X1050 Samsung 226BW that I got from Digital Storm in 2007.  But I don't recommend that for you.  Because at the time I bought my monitor 1920X1080 were much more expensive and not as commonplace.  Now you can get a 1920X1080 22" monitor for cheap.  If it is a TFT panel, most of them are the same so as long as it has a 5ms response time you are good to go for the most part  Contrast ratios are misleading marketing tools generally.  There is no reason to drop below that resolution.  But also note that my PC is hooked up to two monitors the other is 1920X1080.

Regarding the place of  purchase of your monitor, find out the dead pixel policy of where ever you are buying it from.  I think Newegg has a lousy 30 day conditional return policy that says that if you less than 8 dead pixels you can't return it for replacement or a refund.  Find out what Digital Storm's policy is.  I really don't know these days.  I generally recommend getting a monitor from a brick and mortar store that lets you either try before you buy or let's you return no matter what or an online store with a 30 day no limiting of dead pixels (which is rare).

This is what I had in mind sans monitor:

Ticket Number: 388333
Total Price with Instant Savings: $1,993.00
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Cooler Master V8 High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

-----

Compare that to a "less expensive build that has the i7-860, and note that you really get penalized with RAM choices you are forced to go with 4GB of RAM because there is no 6GB option only a very expensive 8GB option.   Also, you get less value out of your mobo.  You can configure a better mobo, but it still isn't an X58.  And the final prices make it obvious that the i7-920 is more value for your money, but you are, of course, force to pay more, but hey, Digital Storm has to make a profit to keep their doors open.

Ticket Number: 388340
Total Price with Instant Savings: $1,839.00
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master CM Storm Scout
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 860 2.80GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA P55 SLI  (Intel P55 Chipset)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVDąR/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Cooler Master V8 High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

If I missed something, I am sure you will get a second opinion.   Oh, I think you can choose whatever case makes you happy.

Edited by Monstromo - 26 Feb 2010 at 4:26pm
Intel Quad Q6600
790i Mobo
4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
260 216 OC Video Card
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Vista 64Bit Ultimate
22" Samsung
AndydViking View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 4:33pm
If I were you I would go with the X58 (i7 920) and the 5850 gpu.  If you really need to fit it in your budget just go with 3 gigs of RAM now and get 3 gigs later if you find you really need them (I think this would save $150).  This is what I have done and I'm thinking my needs are most likely around what yours (average college student) are as far as simply writing word documents and playing games.  I never go near using the 3 gigs of RAM.  Ram is easy to install.

Like DST4ME says the X58/i7 920 has way more options.  I have a friend that recently built an i5 750 system but that's because we live near a micro center and he saved boat loads by doing so. It made sense for him to do so with those savings in mind.  But with Digital Storm I think everyone is right where it just makes sense to get the best chipset (X58) pricewise and so you have the best upgrade path.  Just a thought.
Monstromo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 4:45pm
LOL, trickster posted at 124 and I at 125.,  Nice Ninja, but I agree with him.  I do have a RAID 0 system that was suggested by a DS employee back in 2007 for the speed increase that my OS and programs would load at.  So, I went with two 150GB 10K Raptors.  But that was a different time.  We had just been moving away from 5400 RPM being fast and RAID 0 being a way to get ahead of those excruciating load times before 2007.  Also, I was building an exclusive gaming PC so my data wasn't important to me.
But in the present day  a 1TB 7200RPM drive with the components you are getting is damn fast and loading times are not the annoying thing they were in the past.  There is no reason whatsoever to risk your data, even if it is just a gaming system.  Also, you can do something that I even I did back then which is to pair a smaller faster drive with a larger drive and put your OS on the smaller drive.  But again you don't have to and you don't have to do it now.

And, trickester you will note that I actually said that build the i5-750 system if you build it yourself from microcenter/newegg earlier in the thread.  So, I more than Ninja'd you on that.  LOL.
Intel Quad Q6600
790i Mobo
4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
260 216 OC Video Card
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Vista 64Bit Ultimate
22" Samsung
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>