FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this config good?

Post Date: 2022-10-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JadenOutlaw View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JadenOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Is this config good?
    Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:27pm
Budget:
Under 5k

Expectations:
Two, maybe even three monitors while streaming (I also want some really good fps without stutters)

Usage:
Playing games and streaming with maybe even more stuff running

Special Needs:
Some games that I download can be big or if I make videos sometime, basically just if I need some extra space for games like GTA

Saved Ticket #: 4511493

Thx for the help but I'm not real smart in tech/computer building stuff so I might not get some replies but I'll try
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 5:09am
32GB of RAM is all you need to do what you want on this system. 1500W PSU is almost double what you actually need. If you want lots of overhead without wasting a lot of money, make that 1000W. I recommend you slot in a Samsung 500GB SSD for Storage set 1, and get the 2TB for storage set 2. The smaller drive with your OS and maintenance software on it will allow for much faster scanning for malware and viruses. Also speedier back-ups to assure you can rescue the whole drive if needed. You will still have room for productivity apps and a few games if you want. The larger drive will serve as your main games library. If you download from safe sources, you will rarely need to scan that drive, if ever. If you don't have a recent back-up, your games will still be available from the services you got them from.

The 3080 Ti is a very poor choice for your GPU. Look at the discussion "Looking for suggestions on this build" just below for the reasons why. I expect the RTX 4080 to cost less, and there's no question it's vastly better.

IMHO the custom liquid cooling is a very bad idea for anyone who's not very skilled and knowledgeable about "tech/computer building stuff". It requires regular maintenance that means you have to open the case and manipulate things that can leak fluid. The triple fan all-in one cooler is maintenance free, and will cool your CPU very well. Not to mention save you $439. For my money, I'd much rather be using/playing on my computer than maintaining risky systems. Up to you.

Hope it helps. The suggestions I've made could result in about $1000 saved. Feel free to ask questions.   

It has been pointed out in other posts that Noctua NH-D15 air coolers are available here after a long absence. If shipping those is a problem DS has overcome, that should be your CPU cooler of choice for near silent performance. Quite possibly over the entire life of your system. All you'll ever have to do is dust it off occasionally.   

Edited by Cretae - 05 Oct 2022 at 5:33am

Quote JadenOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 9:31pm
Thank you so much for your help, this is the config with your advice:      4513011 if you wanted to review it, no need. I went with the NH-D15 air coolers, and will think about the 40 series when they come out. I chose to follow the rest of your advice about the storage and 1000W PSU.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 11:50pm
Welcome to DS. Awesome
That is a very nice system you have configured with Cretae's suggestions.
Please be aware that the warranty for parts is for only 1 year if it matters to you.

I would also read a bit on the relationship between the 40XX gpus coming out and the current breed of psu.

Enjoy.
Smile

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 3:57am
I think the changes will benefit you. I still don't think you'll need all that RAM, but that's up to you. Your games may use up to 16GB, but that's it. That leaves you with another 16GB for multi-tasking and open tabs. That's a LOT. Another 32GB would be completely wasted IMHO. You could always add more if you need it later. It's a pretty easy upgrade.    

It's unclear it you are ordering this now, or you decided to wait on the 4080 to see how it can benefit you. If ordering now, there is a free upgrade to a 2year/4year warranty available. I've never been certain they would automatically upgrade you, or if you have to order it, so order that under "Warranty Plan" to be certain.

I'm confident DS will be providing PSUs with power connectors to pair with the new GPUs, but hoserator gives good advice that you should see what's being said. If the new connectors are not available right away, they will use adapters. The adapters will work just fine. Here's an article that addresses this issue:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-clears-the-air-on-geforce-rtx-40-series-power-requirements

If adapters are needed, DS will install ones that are guaranteed to work, and are stress-tested to be sure.   

Edited by Cretae - 06 Oct 2022 at 4:03am

Quote JadenOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:24pm
Yeah I just realized that I for some reason put 64GB for RAM lol. I do multi task and have a lot of tabs open though so I will probably be keeping it at at least 32GB. I will be ordering this in the future just thinking of a good "concept" (weird word to use just couldn't think of one right off the top of my head)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 4:16am
I do recommend 32GB as long as it's affordable. For a gaming system, that's plenty to allow multi-tasking and lots of open tabs while playing.

"Concept" is a perfectly good word for what I have in mind when I make suggestions. Mine is to end up with a system that will do what you're are looking for five years out or more without wasting money on overkill. One that will be readily upgradable to keep up with changing needs, and still save you some cash for those future upgrades. Thanks for listening, I enjoy helping.   

Quote JadenOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 2:22pm
Lol even so helpful you approve my gooder grammars
 Post Reply Post Reply