FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this over the top for a student?

Post Date: 2019-11-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowflake View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Is this over the top for a student?
    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:21pm
Budget:
[Depends on what specs I would need. I don't want to go over the top with the specs though (which I might have already done with this config?), I'm still a student.]

Expectations:
[High Productivity]

Usage:
[3Ds MAX, Photoshop, aCAD, VR games, Maya, Zbrush, Revit...]

Special Needs:
[Probably will not be doing real-time rendering, but would be good if the PC is ok at it]

Saved Ticket #: [2728025]

Specifications:
[Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Bolt PRO
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Side Window: Edge to Edge Premium Acrylic
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 800W SilverStone SX800-LTI (Titanium Rated) (Supports up to GTX TITAN Xp)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 PRO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm HydroLux PRO LITE (CPU + Graphics Card)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Standard Black Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced RGB Internal + Front Panel LED Lighting
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: Logitech 2 Piece (Black Edition) Amplified Speaker Set
Keyboard: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)]
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 6:26am
With all those productivity jobs to do a gaming proc might not be the optimal choice, but anything with more cores would change your case and increase your budget.

You might consider the new 9900KS for a little extra, and consider the level 2 overclock for either proc.

You should go for the Corsair Vengeance RAM at least for a mere $11 and a Lifetime warranty!

You really don't want the 860 PRO when for $52 less you can have the much faster 1TB 970 EVO PLUS NVMe. Up to 5x faster using the PCIe bus rather than SATA.

IMO, the GPU selection will be helpful for your productivity needs.

As far as specs go, these changes will help you. If it's money you're concerned about, get a better air-cooled case and lose the custom cooling. It's of great benefit in the Bolt case, but not needed so much in the others.
snowflake View Drop Down

Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 2:15pm
Thank you very much.
Seems like I have to go for a workstation GPU. With the start of the next semester, I probably won't have much time to play anyway.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 4:40pm
I don't think it's over the top for what use you described.
You do not need to use the workstation builds to configure a solid Z390 rig...I would suggest NOT using a small form factor Bolt X case for this build.   Temps are just challenging to stay ahead of in the extremely small case with only a couple case fans possible, and the Micro-ITX size motherboard required isn't full featured.   

Use the normal ATX sized larger better airflow Lumos (Corsair Crystal 570X case) or bigger DS Velox case for your Z390 build.
Full sized full featured motherboards, roomy to work on.

The Intel I9-9900K 8-core/16-thread processor is an excellent choice for the productivity and photo & rendering work you described and for great gaming, and there is now an I9-9900KS version available that is clocked a little higher.      
pippors View Drop Down

Quote pippors Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:43pm
Hi guys. With the start of the next year, I seemingly won't have much time to play anyway and spend free time like that. I had to find a job. My parents refuse to pay for my education, housing, food, and https://fastessay.net/cheap.html writing service. I had to do everything myself. Could you give me any advice? Any thought, please, share. I don`t know how to find the way out...

Edited by pippors - 15 Jul 2020 at 11:50am
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:22pm
To be honest, I think you would be better off either contacting Digital Storm directly or asking in one of the forums on the websites related to the 3D software you're using. I presented a similar question here a while back and nobody seemed to know.
I do know that if you plan on doing any kind of rendering in Iray, an Nvidia card with sufficient VRAM is necessary. I use Daz3D software and for Iray renders, its recommended to have twice(or greater) the system RAM as you have VRAM total that will be utilized in rendering. So if you have something like a 2080Ti with 11Gb VRAM, you'll want to have 22Gb or greater available for it.
So for Iray, its going to be VRAM, CUDA Cores, and System RAM that are going to be your most important.
For anything else, I would say CPU cores and System RAM, in which case you might want to consider going with a Ryzen instead of Intel depending on how many cores you'll be expecting to need for your tasks.

For the "high productivity" that you're going to be doing, I wouldn't recommend a Z390 or Z490 system unless you know for sure its going to meet your current needs and have acceptable future-proofing/upgradeability. Depending on what you're rendering & which render engine(s) you're using, it can be very demanding and require a lot of resources to render in real-time.

Another thing I should mention is its probably not a good idea to "Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability" if you're Iray rendering, even if you have it watercooled. Rendering is a lot more demanding than gaming, and for the rendering performance boost you would be getting from the additional overclock, its not worth it in my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply