Is this possible...? - SSD hosting 2 system OS's

Post Date: 2011-04-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Is this possible...? - SSD hosting 2 system OS's
    Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 8:59pm
Found out i'm getting low on disk space today, nearing 10GB left, so I'm gonna be having to get some sort of solution worked out sometime in the near future. Something that caught my interest though was the possibility of sharing a SSD between two systems. I'm hopefully going to be getting some sort of laptop finally this year, been without one for a long while and I'm going to be needing one with some very decent disk performance soon, and so far I'm going in the route of an SSD for that.

So...I'm curious, has anyone ever heard of dual booting two Windows 7 operating systems off the same drive? As in, I split the hard drive into two halves, installing Windows 7 (Ult.) on one half while it's in my desktop to configure itself for that, and installing Windows 7 (H.P.) again while it's in my laptop to configure itself for that. Whether it'll even be possible to differentiate between the two halves and make sure each system boots off the right halve I don't know, not even sure whether it's remotely possible. Help?

What about the possibility of splitting the hard drive up into 3 partitions, two for each OS, and the third to house programs? Would either OS be able to access the program partition easily, or, is that just a gigantic headache waiting to happen? Well, I know it's already a headache to setup, haha, but I definitely can't afford to get two SSDs, which is why I'm looking for this shared option.

Edited by ablahblah - 04 Apr 2011 at 9:04pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 12:49am
I'm not even sure what you gain from splitting the same HDD/SSD to 3 partitions, which ever os you used to install the apps on the 3rd partition, is the only os that can run those apps. Only apps without regkeys can run on both OS, and most apps use regkeys.

now if you use EasyBCD, on both desktop and laptop, then I think you can get away with what you want to do as far as using the same drive with 2 different os, one for desktop and one for laptop.

However I would never recommend that, cause anything goes wrong with that drive and you have lost everything from both desktop and laptop.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Apr 2011 at 12:50am
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 5:10pm
Ehh....would this do anything?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165467
Install the program on each side of windows to the same folder on partition 3, files remain same but installation procedures other than files (registry, etc.) occur to both sides.

I'm well aware that both OS's are hanging around in a sort of twilight zone where if the drive fails, I'm going to lose both installations, but it's just OS's and programs anyways though...can always reinstall. That drive is something that I'm really keeping only the OS and programs, both systems will still have a dedicated secondary that's a data drive. Regardless, can Acronis TrueImage backup an entire drive, partitions and all?

Edited by ablahblah - 05 Apr 2011 at 5:11pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 2:42am
Well you have to install the app on both OS, and even with that:

ote that when you make changes to options within a program, those changes may not be recognized in the other version of Windows and may need to be configured while you are running the program in the other version of Windows. This occurs when the configuration options are contained in the registry or in .ini files in the Windows folder.

TrueImage does copy the whole HDD.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 5:42pm
yep, read that, that essentially just means that I need to reinstall the app on both sides when I need to update one, right?. I think I can live with that, not too hard..
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply