FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It's finally time for an upgrade

Post Date: 2020-05-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lugar View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lugar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: It's finally time for an upgrade
    Posted: 10 May 2020 at 11:46pm
This will be my second Digital Storm purchase. I purchased a slightly modified Vanquish around five years ago and I've loved it since the day the UPS guy dropped it off and told me to have fun. It's running on 8 GB of RAM, an older Intel i5, and the 1550ti. It just doesn't cut it for my gaming needs anymore. So here we go!

Budget:
I'd like to keep it under $3,000... $2500 is ideal.

Expectations:
Nothing as of yet, but I might explore VR and probably a dual monitor setup or hook it up to a wall mounted TV in the future.

Usage:
I'm building this primarily for Microsoft Flight Simulator's ideal specs which are absolutely insane to me, but totally makes sense. On the lower end, World of Warcraft, Train Sim World, and Total War games.

Special Needs:
I have to run on WiFi. My current computer has the network card that is similar, if not the same as the +$73 option and I have mixed feelings with it. I get about a quarter of the speeds we're paying for, but it's still really high and I don't think there would be a visible difference if I get anything quicker on the download end. However, there are issues whenever I'm streaming video. Sometimes it never happens, or it'll happen once and be fine the rest of the time, or every ten minutes the internet will drop from my device and I have to run the troubleshooter to reconnect to the internet. My smart tv and old Xbox a few feet away don't have this issue, nor any other device in the house.I'm fairly certain I just don't have a receptive enough card and the placement of my desk and distance to the router are just too much for it to handle. I'm thinking it's safe to assume the card with four antennae would behave better when I'm streaming, but I'd like your guys' input on that.

Specs
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3079761

Sorry for giving the link and not the full specs
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2020 at 4:35am
Looks like you built what you want. The PCE-AC88 seems like a powerhouse, but I have nothing further.

You should try to find room for an NVMe SSD for your primary drive. Seems to me you'd want Flight Sim playing from one of those.
 Post Reply Post Reply