It's Here

Post Date: 2007-09-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 67alecto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: It's Here
    Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 11:42pm
My DS system arrived this morning, delivered safe and sound to my work.  I was able to run it home at lunch and get it hooked up, verified my media card and all USB ports were operational, and began transferring files from DVD backups of my old system.

I was tortured a little today, as I wasn't able to get home until nearly 8:30pm.

I installed a wireless adapter, and I was off. 

Issues - all minor
My Media Card reader is loose.  One corner pushes in slightly.  Having the clear panel on the side makes me wonder how in the heck I access it since it is completely hidden by panels and other components.

Windows XP Home was my OS, and I had to download and install 59 updates - (assuming since it wasn't activated)

My hard drive was 8% fragmented

My sound card didn't have the July driver update.

No DS art as the default wallpaper?  I finally found one in the windows directory - otherwise, it was setup with the microsoft meadow scene.

Regrets:

I wish I hadn't gotten the case lighting...at least with this case.  The huge clear panel makes it so bright in there that unless you're sitting in the dark, the light is wasted.  It is much better served in the Lite case instead of the Pro.

The good:
The system rocks - blazing fast - chewed right through installing various Apps to get me up and running.

Extremely well-packaged for shipping.  Everything I needed was at hand, including a analog to DVI converter for my monitor (I ordered a DVI cable yesterday when I found my monitor didn't come with one).

The round cables really look clean.

Next step after I post this is to figure out where I want to put it.  I'd like to have it on my desk, but even at the edge, it's about 18" from the corner of my monitor, and I can feel the warm air coming out the back.

Then, install half-life 2 and see how long that takes.

Twister Pro
750W PS/Q6600 2.4GHz/680i LT/2GB Corsair 800/9800GTX/X-Fi XtremeGamer/Stage 2 Cooling
Vanquish II
430W Corsair/i3 3.3 GHz/Asus H61M/8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance/650Ti Boost 2Gb
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 11:45pm
Very Nice! : )  Man, thats clean, my old Alienware wasn't even that tighty inside.

Edited by Jeff - 25 Sep 2007 at 11:49pm
Phreak View Drop Down

Quote Phreak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 11:56pm
Thats nice, you have nearly the exact same build as me too. Smile
Except your vid card is alot better.Confused

Looks great though man, enjoy.
Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC @ 2.7Ghz
2GB DDR2 Corsair 800Mhz XMS2
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
nVidia 680i LT
Stage 3 w/ TwisterBoost
EXTREME DS case
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote 67alecto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 12:33am
21 minutes to install half-life 2...I remember it taking around an hour on my old machine.

That's just sick.

Oh, and while I was doing that, I was also downloading an updated driver for my graphics card (missed when I was reviewing above), downloading a pdf reader, and copying files across the network.
Twister Pro
750W PS/Q6600 2.4GHz/680i LT/2GB Corsair 800/9800GTX/X-Fi XtremeGamer/Stage 2 Cooling
Vanquish II
sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 12:36am
I enjoy seeing most of us having the same rig's with generally the GPU the only difference, kind of makes me feel comfortable that I purchased what will help my gaming advance.
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Phreak View Drop Down

Quote Phreak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 12:37am
Very nice. You bragging is making me go nuts.
Ordered mine yesterday and im already anxious.
Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC @ 2.7Ghz
2GB DDR2 Corsair 800Mhz XMS2
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
nVidia 680i LT
Stage 3 w/ TwisterBoost
EXTREME DS case
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 12:44am
Once DS has enough rigs out in the world they will trigger the command prompt embedded within the software and all DS owners will be directed to sit down where they are and masturbate simultaneously. 

Kelly told me this would happen.  Well... he did!Shocked
sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 1:06am
Originally posted by EdH63

Once DS has enough rigs out in the world they will trigger the command prompt embedded within the software and all DS owners will be directed to sit down where they are and masturbate simultaneously. 

What about for the people who didn't order any software/OS?
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 1:13am
Originally posted by sundowner

Originally posted by EdH63

What about for the people who didn't order any software/OS?

I think Kelly mentioned that they had installed some high frequency tone in the hardware somewhere that affected your brain the same way a visual embedded code would affect you by viewing the software.  He was quite convincing and I do think I'm going to believe him.  Can you imagine millions of people masturbating at the same time, releasing all those endorphins in unison?  The world would be quite happy if that happened.

I may have gotten off topic here... I digress. Ermm
sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 1:16am
If that happened I think I would be very nervous to leave my home on account of all the stickiness...

Also very nice thread hijack Clap

Edited by sundowner - 26 Sep 2007 at 1:16am
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 1:22am
Super sweet looking build.

It's amazingly clean, and that case looks very sleek and extremely solid.

I'm looking over the postions available for that cathode lighting kit in that case and reconsidering whether or not I want to bother with one myself. I can definately see what you mean by the effect being washed out by ambient lighting due to window size.
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote 67alecto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 2:03am

Last thing - as I moved the CPU to where I want it, I heard something rattle around in there. 

Opening the panel revealed a small screw about 1/4" long rolling around in side.

Could that be why my media card has a loose corner?

Twister Pro
Vanquish II
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 2:40am
Media Card Reader: If you found a loose screw inside there, and your media card reader is loose, you found the problem! Double check all your other screws as well please. They should all be nice and tight. Call us so we can help secure the media card reader for you. Reason why I am asking to check if all the other screws are loose (shipping vibrations). Give us a call during business hours on that.

Updates: Our Vista installs come with the latest updates, but, XP has a slight issue. We do install a pre-set batch of updates, but, ever since Microsoft requires the system to be activated before we can use Windows Update; it has caused us to stop doing them. If we activate Windows in the facility, then run into problems, and re-install Windows; we don't want the customer to end up going through the activation loop of calling Microsoft.

Hard Drive Fragmented: We can't help that because as we send the final image of your system over to be burned to a disk, it is first written to a file on your hard drive and then sent over the network to our server. A 8% fragmented disk isn't going to do any harm. Install your software, games, wait a week, and check it again.

Sound Card Update: I am aware of the update, we use to use it for our customers, until we had those annoying static and IRQ conflicts. We reverted back one to ensure swift operation of all of the machines.

Case Lighting: There is a toggle switch inside that will allow you to turn off the lights.

Besides that, welcome to the family! The machine looks great!

Originally posted by 67alecto

My DS system arrived this morning, delivered safe and sound to my work.  I was able to run it home at lunch and get it hooked up, verified my media card and all USB ports were operational, and began transferring files from DVD backups of my old system.

I was tortured a little today, as I wasn't able to get home until nearly 8:30pm.

I installed a wireless adapter, and I was off. 

Issues - all minor
My Media Card reader is loose.  One corner pushes in slightly.  Having the clear panel on the side makes me wonder how in the heck I access it since it is completely hidden by panels and other components.

Windows XP Home was my OS, and I had to download and install 59 updates - (assuming since it wasn't activated)

My hard drive was 8% fragmented

My sound card didn't have the July driver update.

No DS art as the default wallpaper?  I finally found one in the windows directory - otherwise, it was setup with the microsoft meadow scene.

Regrets:

I wish I hadn't gotten the case lighting...at least with this case.  The huge clear panel makes it so bright in there that unless you're sitting in the dark, the light is wasted.  It is much better served in the Lite case instead of the Pro.

The good:
The system rocks - blazing fast - chewed right through installing various Apps to get me up and running.

Extremely well-packaged for shipping.  Everything I needed was at hand, including a analog to DVI converter for my monitor (I ordered a DVI cable yesterday when I found my monitor didn't come with one).

The round cables really look clean.

Next step after I post this is to figure out where I want to put it.  I'd like to have it on my desk, but even at the edge, it's about 18" from the corner of my monitor, and I can feel the warm air coming out the back.

Then, install half-life 2 and see how long that takes.

67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote 67alecto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Alex

Media Card Reader: If you found a loose screw inside there, and your media card reader is loose, you found the problem! Double check all your other screws as well please. They should all be nice and tight. Call us so we can help secure the media card reader for you. Reason why I am asking to check if all the other screws are loose (shipping vibrations). Give us a call during business hours on that.

Updates: Our Vista installs come with the latest updates, but, XP has a slight issue. We do install a pre-set batch of updates, but, ever since Microsoft requires the system to be activated before we can use Windows Update; it has caused us to stop doing them. If we activate Windows in the facility, then run into problems, and re-install Windows; we don't want the customer to end up going through the activation loop of calling Microsoft.

Hard Drive Fragmented: We can't help that because as we send the final image of your system over to be burned to a disk, it is first written to a file on your hard drive and then sent over the network to our server. A 8% fragmented disk isn't going to do any harm. Install your software, games, wait a week, and check it again.

Sound Card Update: I am aware of the update, we use to use it for our customers, until we had those annoying static and IRQ conflicts. We reverted back one to ensure swift operation of all of the machines.

Case Lighting: There is a toggle switch inside that will allow you to turn off the lights.

I'll check on the screws, and if I can't get the media card secured, I'll give a call.

Yeah, I figured those were the reasons for the Windows update and the fragmentation.  All very minor stuff.  I set my system to defrag before I went to bed.

Ditto on the sound card/video card.  Had I not checked, I would have been fine.  I normally only update drivers if there is a specific issue I'm experiencing, and I only noticed these weren't up to date because I was running checks on everything.  I was using my 5.1 system for a couple of hours and had no trouble.

As far as the lighting - I definitely have the WOW factor, the only regret is that I don't really need it since it's so bright.  I was NEVER one who liked playing games in the dark (harken back to the days of people playing Doom on Ultraviolent in the dark with headphones on) - not only do I have a ceiling fan with 3 lights on it, I also have a stand alone lamp I turn on.  Lots of light!

Just personal preference.

The machine is awesome.  As I get settled in with it, I'll post more user experience stuff and after a week, I'll post over at resellerratings.
Twister Pro
Vanquish II
 Post Reply Post Reply