Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Strathe View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Strathe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Joining the family
    Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 12:47am
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on the boards for a while now & thought id take the plunge & say hello to everyone & get a little feedback from some DS customers.
I'm finally at a point financially after doing a good bit of saving to pull the trigger on a dream rig. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time drooling over the Aventum 3.

My narrowed pool of candidates was between the A3, the FNW Mach V or the Origin Genesis. Ruled the Mach V out because I really like windows. The Genesis was ok, but a HUGE selling point was the fact that Origin ships them in wooden crates. Like real Raiders of the Lost Ark crates. Crazy protection.
But I do vastly prefer the Aventum in terms of aesthetics & what seems to be a huge amount of community passion & pride in the DS brand. Having said that, I have lost track of the "damaged in transit" cases I've filed with our local UPS branch. I swear, they have such little regard with their handling of packages.
So yeah, I'm terrified at the prospect of paying more than I've paid for anything online before (several orders of magnitude more) & have my local UPS wrecking crew be in charge of getting it to me safely.
Something else I've pieced together with regard to the Aventum 3 is that most if not all of the issues people have had are due to shipping damage.
I live in El Paso, Texas. Half the country away from Fremont, CA. & I'm opting for fragile hardline as well. I shudder at the possibilities.

So yeah, that giant Origin wooden crate sounds really good to me.

But damn, the Aventum 3 calls to me..

Just wanted to get everyones experiences with the shipping aspect.

I'm actually considering renting like a dodge caravan (won't fit in my jeep) & road tripping the 1276 mi to personally pick it up. Film the whole thing for my channel.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:47am
Hi Strathe,

The Av is only shipped via freight wrapped to a wooden pallet so it is less subject to harsh handling. That being said, it is no guarantee (mine came with a loose memory stick).
Even inside a wooden case (which I must admit sounds indestructible) the handling will be the same - rough! And the pc will be subject to the same loads so.....
I would be more interested on what is inside. Good luck.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:07am
The chances are definitely on your side the rig will arrive with no issues.   My rig shipped, no crate, to the east coast with not even a scratch on the box.

Strapped to a pallet like hoserator mentioned is better than a wooden box.   DS used to use a wooden box, maybe still do on certain occasions, but the pallet is less chance of issues.     Wooden crate or cardboard box, it’s the sudden jolts by dropping that can dislodge and break parts even with no sign of damage outside.   

Like hoserator said , buy the best and pray to the shipping gods.   
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:37am
I've ordered 2 DS rigs via the standard shipping, neither had any shipping-related issues on arrival.

FWIW, I also used the standard DS box to re-ship a DS rig internationally, and had no issues.

As loathe as I am to admit it, all you can do is pack it well + hope, so I agree with the above. I've seen shippers destroy metal beams before - yes seriously. So at certain point the ole' shipping Gods need their tithe. Big%20Smile

Edited by Tidgxor - 09 Nov 2017 at 4:37am
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 6:35am
Welcome to the forums!!!

You'll find lots of knowledgeable gurus on this site. I can vouch for it.
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 12:04pm
I live around Washington DC and my orders were one with crate and one regular, both arrived good.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Nov 2017 at 12:04pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 3:05pm
I really can't speak to DS's shipping as I live so very close to Fremont that picking up my machine was a given.

But the fact that I have worked in and around the shipping industry for years has me leery of shipping anything, anyway. But I will say this: If the gorilla handed neanderthals do happen to damage your machine in transit, you can be certain that DS will make it right. The damage rate claim is low, compared to others, but the satisfaction rating afterwards is what puts DS on top of the pile.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 3:27pm
Snaike's pc was shipped to him, via himself.

but apparently he didn't like the shipping service he got from himself so he doesn't want to comment on it
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Snaike's pc was shipped to him, via himself.

but apparently he didn't like the shipping service he got from himself so he doesn't want to comment on it

Customer was a lousy tipper!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 3:38pm
And I bet he wanted it brought in and installed. What gall!! LOL
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:00pm
No installation no tip
Strathe View Drop Down

Quote Strathe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 1:00am
Haha. That road trip is looking better & better. Shipping deities seem to dislike me as a general rule. Horror stories abound. Its only 2 ten hr road shifts away. Give or take.

thanks for the warm welcome & replies! Butterflies as I'm just a few weeks from pulling the trigger. I've been a gamer for as long as I can remember, been wallowing in console land as I've been distractedly carreer uber immersed for the past decade.
Then it just occurred to me one day on a gamefaqs perusal & a quick game of Halo Wars 2 on XBL that it just feels more & more like I'm sitting in an inflatable kiddie pool with a bunch of children.

Really uncomfortable. I decided, I'm out. I want my hot rod & a different level of gaming now plz. Much research later.. I'm on a collision course with my Aventum 3.

Just about the most excited I've been since I was a kid.
I even started a Steam account months ago in anticipation & have discovered the joy of Steam sales & Humble Bundle. Built up quite the turn key starter library for when the rig gets here.

Post Reply Post Reply