FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just about ready to place order. Final config.

Post Date: 2010-05-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zepman79 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zepman79 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Just about ready to place order. Final config.
    Posted: 31 May 2010 at 1:21am
Here is my final configuration that I believe I am going with. I am mainly looking for a system for mmo gaming (WoW, AoC, Diablo III) and watching DVDs and Blue-Rays. I want to stay under $2,000. I will be getting the Samsung XL2370 23 inch monitor with a 1920X1080 resolution. I can't pass up the 5,000,000:1 dynamic resolution and great reviews it has received so far. I know it's a TN panel, but it looks pretty sweet for that price range and the 2ms response time is a plus as well. I was debating about getting a sound card, but realized I'm not a big enough audiophile to warrant the added cost. I mainly want a system that will last me for several years. So here it is for review:

Ticket Number: 410687
Total Price with Instant Savings: $1,930.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master CM Storm Sniper
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Micro Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: 4 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support

GosuHyunwoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GosuHyunwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 1:24am
Looks great! Ermm just wait for DST for the seal of approval 

2Cigars View Drop Down

Quote 2Cigars Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 1:50am
I made Build Ticket 410696 for you...

Changes:

Motherboard: EVGA x58 LE
The Micro has only 2 PCI-E slots. Granted, both are x16 slots, but that only matters for dual gpu cards like the 5970. The LE offers 5 slots, so if you wanted to crossfire with a second 5870 and add a sound card, you wouldn't have any problems, where the Micro would leave you one slot short.

Power Supply: DS Certified 750w
750w will float your configuration just find with a mild savings included.

Cooling: Noctua D14
IMO the best air cooler available, and certainly one of the most quiet.

Please note that you can get a decent stand alone soundcard for well under the models posted on this site. If you have a high end surround setup on your PC, then a dedicated card is a good future upgrade.

Also, if you think you might want to go crossfire in the future, it would be best to pick the 1000w power supply so that all you have to do is get another 5870.
zepman79 View Drop Down

Quote zepman79 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 2:02am
I'm just going for a single card set up, since most of the games I play won't require running dual cards. I mainly play mmos and not fps or fighting games. The 1000w power supply and EVGA x58 LE would be nice for future proofing, but doesn't fit in my budget. I have a high end 2.1 speaker set up, but not surround sound, so I'll stick with onboard audio for now. I currently have a system with the Noctua dual120mm fans and it seems to do the job and is quiet so I'm gonna stick with it as well, although I have heard good things about the D14. I have a couple questions though.

1. Will the 750 watt power supply be sufficient enough for any future single gpu upgrades I may make?

2. Will the EVGA x58 micro edition have enough slots to add a sound card later if I decide to upgrade?

Thanks for the advice!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 4:19pm
contast ratio and response times are gimmicks don't fall for any of that, it all pure bs, there is no real way of measuring them and there are different technique, and each technique will give you different results so you can even compare panel to panel cause you don't know what technique was used. With all of that, it still won't hold a candle to a good ips panel.

your own build looks good for what you described, but I would upgrade to the LE, for $35 its well worth it.

the 750w corsair should give you what you want as far as single upgrades.

the micro has 2 free pci slots with one gpu installed.

I think the bluray is a huge waste of your money and with your budget I would never pick it, on top of that there is gonna be a new format that will hold more data and the current bluray drives can't read it, go with a dvd burner and wait for the new format.
zepman79 View Drop Down

Quote zepman79 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:15pm
Well I mainly wanted the blu-ray drive to watch blu-rays on, since I don't have a hd tv or a blu-ray player. I wanted to start a blu-ray collection and I'd like to take advantage of a nice monitor with 1080p resolution, rather than using it strictly for gaming.

I know ips panels have better picture quality than TN, but they're not in my budget and this new samsung monitor is led backlit, and I've watched several video reviews with comparisons to other TN panels and the XL2370 is just stunning. It's the closest thing to an ips that I can afford, plus I still worry about ghosting on an ips panel, even though I know you guys claim it isn't noticeable or doesn't exist on an ips.

If I got the EVGA x58 LE, I would probably drop a few things like the 1TB hard drive and possibly the blu-ray drive to get a 1000w power supply so I could run dual 5870's in the future. I might think on that, since I suppose I could just buy a blu-ray player and hook it to my monitor when I want to watch blu-rays. Will a 1000w power supply be sufficient to run dual 5870's?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:56pm
That is a darn nice monitor.

Yes on both your PSU questions.
The micro is fine if you don't crossfire.
The new Blu ray format is going to be for 3D video and mega storage. The current format will be around for quite awhile for 2d movies.
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:26pm
Once the new format comes out, everybody will switch over to that, why get the old format that stores less when the new format will store more.

1000w corsair will run dual cf for you.

I was just giving info about the difference between panels, if its not in the budget then its not in the budget, down the road you can get a monitor that will probably be better then current ips.

media drives like dvd/bluray/etc can all be installed later pretty easy, its no more difficult then installing a hdd or ssd, which are very easy.

major parts you get whats need down the road now, mobo/psu/cpu/, other parts can be upgraded easily later, gpu/ram/hdd/ssd/media drive/etc.
zepman79 View Drop Down

Quote zepman79 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 9:54pm
Thanks DST4ME, I think I will probably go for the LE and a 1000w power supply then and drop the blu-ray and 1TB hdd; 500gb should be plenty for me.  I just worry about the storm sniper case being able to hold 2X5870. Anyone know if there is enough room to run dual 5870's? Thanks again for all the advice.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:32pm
No worries, Mate! My poor little single card rattles around in there like a bb in a box car. Seriously, there is so much left over space in my case, it looks like I got a bare bones rig.
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
zepman79 View Drop Down

Quote zepman79 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:36pm
Thanks Cretae! Yeah, I looked at a few reviews and most say that you can easily run dual cards in the Sniper. I wish I could place my order tonight and get the free 4 year limited warranty, but I have to wait a week for my college refund check to come in the mail Wink
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 11:02pm
Dang, that's a drag. Yeh it's strictly cash (or credit card) and carry w/DS. They can't afford to give credit and get ripped off.

Maybe there's some way you could commit to the build today, but note you want to delay Stage One a week. (Stage One is credit/debit/funds transfer approval.) The configurator probably will not let you send the build, but over on the right, by the price, there's a button where you can e-mail your config to DS, and also to yourself. In the comments, you can ask for mercy re: the warranty.

Be sure you also send a copy to yourself, so you can follow up in case they don't get back to you 'cause it says it goes to a tech. If you don't hear from them, you could cut and paste your config and send it directly to Alex. He's known to be pretty merciful in these situations, so this has a decent chance of success. Good luck.
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 11:25pm
merciful is a good way to say it but alex is just a really classy guy who knows better than to stick people because of a rule like that
he will do backflips to make the individual customer happy, i know personally with issues i had before
LOL
zepman79 View Drop Down

Quote zepman79 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 11:32pm
Cool, I might try to beg for their mercy then, hehe. But if they can't cut corners, that's fine too. I've been more than satisfied with DS and will be happy either way. An extra year on the warranty would be icing on the cake though Hug Here is my final build I think. I believe this one will be my best bet for a future proof system that can run dual cards later if I need em.

Ticket Number: 410989
Total Price with Instant Savings: $1,969.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master CM Storm Sniper
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: 4 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 12:11am
Almost perfect. At the bottom of the software section where it says "game" you can select a freebie. Might as well. Otherwise, you're good to go.

Pretty much that's my system! (That's what I do, manipulate the unsuspecting into ordering what I got in order to validate myself as a supervillain, muahahaha....)  Shocked
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 1:36am
Yup looks great, when you want to add stuff, feel free to come and ask us what to get or walk you thru first install

sniper is pretty much the same size as haf 932, I think its actually a little taller or wider or something like that, so ya 2 gpus will fit fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply