FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just got my system, have a monitor question.

Post Date: 2016-06-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vertebreaker View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vertebreaker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Just got my system, have a monitor question.
    Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 3:25pm
Hey all, I just got my new computer today (a really great SLI 1080 build) and so far the thing is running great, as expected. However, I'm running into an issue with the resolutions allowed by my monitor.

I picked up the Dell P2715Q monitor, as I heard it was a solid 4K@60 monitor. However, it should also be capable of 1440p@144hz, but I'm not seeing that in my adapter options. I'm limited to 60fps no matter which display resolution I choose, even 1080p, and this is with a mini-Displayport connection.

I also made sure the monitor driver was installed, but no go. Any tips on getting this monitor working at the 144hz it should be able to reach? Thanks!
SalJuice View Drop Down

Quote SalJuice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:07pm
Mini displayport isn't capable of 144hz. I think you can just buy a mini DP > DP cable for cheap on Amazon. The other option is to pick up a dual link DVI - up to you. Single link DVI won't cut it either.

Just to add...I'm jealous of your 1080 SLI build! Enjoy!

Edited by SalJuice - 22 Jun 2016 at 4:08pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:31pm
AS far as I know Dell monitors and specially the one you mentioned is listed at 60Hz. Its an IPS panel, which has great image quality but its limited in refresh rate to 60Hz.

Quote Vertebreaker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by SalJuice

Mini displayport isn't capable of 144hz. I think you can just buy a mini DP > DP cable for cheap on Amazon. The other option is to pick up a dual link DVI - up to you. Single link DVI won't cut it either.

Just to add...I'm jealous of your 1080 SLI build! Enjoy!

Thanks! Should keep me busy for the next few years! ;)

Everything I've read has said mini-Displayport has the same capabilities as a regular Displayport. There's no way my internet could have conflicting information, right?

I'm running mini from the monitor to Displayport on the 1080, fyi.

Quote Vertebreaker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

AS far as I know Dell monitors and specially the one you mentioned is listed at 60Hz. Its an IPS panel, which has great image quality but its limited in refresh rate to 60Hz.

I just checked the User Guide and I think you're right, I only see a maximum of 60hz. That sucks. I'm not planning on playing in anything but 4K, but I wanted the option to bump it down to 1440p if I wanted to play something at 144hz. Bummer. Might consider exchanging it, but it looks so good.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:04pm
Not sure if there are any IPS panels that have a higher refresh rate at 1440p, but if there is, its gonna cost you a pretty penny. IPS has the best image quality, that is why it looks so good.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Jun 2016 at 5:04pm
SalJuice View Drop Down

Quote SalJuice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Vertebreaker

Originally posted by DST4ME

I just checked the User Guide and I think you're right, I only see a maximum of 60hz. That sucks. I'm not planning on playing in anything but 4K, but I wanted the option to bump it down to 1440p if I wanted to play something at 144hz. Bummer. Might consider exchanging it, but it looks so good.

I could be wrong, but back when I first bought my BenQ 144hz, I remember reading that I'd need a mini DP to DP adapter. That said, I just ended up going with the dual link DVI since the monitor ended up coming with one, thankfully.

Looks like you have a different issue though. I'll say this, 144 vs 60 is quite a difference. Not as huge as 30 to 60, but 144 is buttery smooth. I would definitely, if you could, return that one and get a proper 144hz monitor.

Quote Vertebreaker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 6:13pm

Looks like you have a different issue though. I'll say this, 144 vs 60 is quite a difference. Not as huge as 30 to 60, but 144 is buttery smooth. I would definitely, if you could, return that one and get a proper 144hz monitor.

Thing is, I would have to give up the IPS display, and I don't know if I want to trade 4K for 1440p, even if 1440p can run at 144hz.

I'm probably stuck waiting for a monitor that can do 4K at 120hz or 144hz.

Edited by Vertebreaker - 22 Jun 2016 at 6:14pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Vertebreaker

Thing is, I would have to give up the IPS display, and I don't know if I want to trade 4K for 1440p, even if 1440p can run at 144hz.

I'm probably stuck waiting for a monitor that can do 4K at 120hz or 144hz.

LOl I'm still waiting for an IPS that can do 4k at 144Hz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 2:24am
Goku1910 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Goku1910 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 5:14pm
I just got my Asus MX25AQ and love it's IPS glory. I hear it can be tweaked up to 75Hz but I'm perfectly fine at 60Hz. Being a console player most of my life 60 FPS is satisfying.
Bolt 3!
Stage 1: 6/2/16
Stage 2&3: 6/7/16
Stage 4&5: 6/11/16
Stage 6: 6/16/16
Stage 7&Shipped: 6/24/16
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 5:40pm
I think most of us here love the IPS and want faster refresh rate with IPS.
 Post Reply Post Reply