FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just purchased - but not sure of this build

Post Date: 2021-04-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Daigneault View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Daigneault Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Just purchased - but not sure of this build
    Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 6:09pm
Budget:
$3500

Expectations:
I just purchased a build, and I'm realizing I probably should've gotten some input on what I chose before pulling the trigger. Since the builds are backlogged, guessing I might be able to make an adjustment? Or maybe I chose well and I can relax?

Usage:
35% gaming / 35% work / 30% other

Special Needs:
Want a small form factor PC that is unobtrusive but still powerful.

Saved Ticket #: Here's my build 3888250

Specifications:
DSO-2887150     Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3885435     1     $3,368.00
Chassis Model: Digital Storm BOLT X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Side Window: Edge to Edge Premium Acrylic
Processor: Intel Core i9-10850K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASU STRIX Z490-I Gaming / MSI MEG Z490-I UNIFY (Wi-Fi) (Z490 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 800W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Platinum) (Supports up to RTX 3080)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Black Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced RGB Internal + Front Panel LED Lighting
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:12pm
Foremost, the 10th gen. Intel Core CPUs and Z490 chipset don't have PCIe 4.0 support. So, you wouldn't be able to utilize the full potential of the Samsung 980 Pro (FireCuda 520, or any other gen. 4 NVMe SSD). It would work but would have speeds about equivalent to the 970 EVO.

With that said, below is a similarly equipped AMD build that does provide PCIe 4.0 support. Additionally, it adds some future proofing regarding upgrades down the road.

Config #: 3888374

If you're curious...

Intel Core i9 10850K vs. AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Otherwise, if you're set on Intel and don't want to wait for the 11th gen. Core chips to be in regular supply, you could simply downgrade to the 970 EVO in your current config.

Edited by MrCheetah - 30 Apr 2021 at 8:13pm

Quote Daigneault Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:19pm
I'm not really set on Intel. Sounds like the AMD config would allow for faster hard drive speeds? I'll email DS to see about updating my order.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2021 at 3:34am
Significantly higher NVMe SSD speeds is correct. Additionally, you assure yourself that any part you may wish to add in the future will run at it's intended speed and efficiency. It's a very slight difference today, but it's entirely possible the next generation or two of GPUs may be held back by an obsolete PCIe platform. PCIe Gen 4 is 2 times the throughput.

We tend not to recommend the OS Boost. There are no processes standard to Windows that will hold back a modern set-up like this with all that RAM. It's a throw-back to when RAM came in very small quantities, and one could disable a few things in the OS to make a few MB extra available.

MrCheetah's build will serve you very well. Order changes are very routine here, and you should have no trouble.

Quote Daigneault Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:01pm
Ok great. I will confirm w/ them on Monday config changes. A couple more questions:
- Samsung 980 vs. Firecuda 520 > any reason to go w/ one vs. the other? I've read that Samsung is faster but Firecuda is more reliable.
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800 vs. AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT > I was thinking of getting the 9, any reason not to?

Thanks guys.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2021 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Daigneault

Samsung 980 vs. Firecuda 520 > any reason to go w/ one vs. the other? I've read that Samsung is faster but Firecuda is more reliable.

I've read complaints regarding reliability about both in Amazon reviews. Performance wise, they're fairly negligible. As for my recommendation, I suggest Samsung primarily because Seagate has burned me with drive failures one too many times in recent years. However, of course, that's not the experience of everyone.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 vs. AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT > I was thinking of getting the 9, any reason not to?
The Ryzen 5000 series uses newer tech designs (Zen 3 vs. Zen 2 in the Ryzen 3000 series).

AMD "Zen 3" Core Architecture | AMD

Should you upgrade your old Ryzen to a new Ryzen 5000?

AMD Ryzen 6 5800X vs. AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT

You don't mention specifically what "work" and "other" are. If those tasks happen to be one of the few that significantly utilize multithreading (gaming does not), the 3900XT would be a benefit in that it's notably cheaper and far more readily available than, for example, the 5900X. Otherwise, the 5800X is very capable for most workflows/tasks.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2021 at 4:36am

Ok great. I will confirm w/ them on Monday config changes. A couple more questions:
- Samsung 980 vs. Firecuda 520 > any reason to go w/ one vs. the other? I've read that Samsung is faster but Firecuda is more reliable.
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800 vs. AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT > I was thinking of getting the 9, any reason not to?

Thanks guys.

The SSD question is a toss-up. The 980 is faster, yes, but you'd hardly notice. Not worth the extra $ IMHO.

Mr Cheetah has you well covered on the CPU info. If you have need of the extra cores for your other chores, the 3900X will be practical. The newer tech is always the better choice, it's a shame the 5900X delays the build, but it's an upgrade possibility if you decide you need it later.

Quote Daigneault Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2021 at 3:52pm
I'm not doing anything special with my computer really. I do some photo editing, but it's infrequent. Most of the work stuff is typical business office apps. I'll go with the 5800 and save some cash too. Thx again.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2021 at 3:33am
That will be excellent. The fact is a modern computer with some of the newest parts like this one has a very good chance to simply amaze you with how powerful and instantly responsive it is. You're in for a treat.
 Post Reply Post Reply