FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just submitted order but ran into out-of-stock!

Post Date: 2010-09-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dorf View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dorf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Just submitted order but ran into out-of-stock!
    Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 5:24pm
After reading alot of reviews, and the sticky guide I feel confident in my purchase but I have a few quick questions!

This is what I decided on:
System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI 3 Edition (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) (Model: 131-GT-E767)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended) 
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (40GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X-25V Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI) 
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

The original cooling system I selected was out-of-stock, which is fine because I was actually considering this Noctua cooler anyway, but is it compatible with the mobo/case combo I selected??
Also, the 40gig SSD drive I selected... I was considering the 80gig one, but I wasn't sure if it was worth putting games on the SSD.
al3xLJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote al3xLJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 5:48pm
go for the stage 1 noctua, that fits for sure, is cheaper and performs almost the same
having games on the SSD will speed up startup/load times for them, it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not Wink
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 6:28pm
We started offering the new Corsair A70 cooler which appears to perform better than the Noctua U12P SE. Both are at the same price.

Edited by Alex - 24 Sep 2010 at 6:31pm
neilkaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote neilkaz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Alex

We started offering the new Corsair A70 cooler which appears to perform better than the Noctua U12P SE. Both are at the same price.
Some of you may be interested in this extensive cooler review.

HAF932
i7-980X at 4.34 Ghz HT 24/7
GTX 275
6 MB STT DDR3 at 1628 MHz
Stage 4 cooling
txfeinbergs View Drop Down

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 2:34pm
Thanks for the review. I ran into the Noctua out of stock issue when I ordered yesterday also and went with the Corsair A70. I had researched everything very closely, except this decision I had to make at the spur of the moment since I was not anticipating the out of stock issue, and Digital Storm was on the phone. The A70 seems like a fair alternative to the Noctua, except it seems the price should be a bit lower given you can get it on NewEgg for $49 whereas the Noctua is $20 more on Newegg, but both are the same price at Digital Storm. 

I realize the cost also includes installation though, and I hate installing these things, so I am okay with it. Besides, DS is letting me send them my sound card so I don't have to buy another one and installing it for me. I have never heard of a company that allows you to do that.
AmbientChong11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AmbientChong11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 2:57pm
Why would you need DS to install your sound card? It's easy ..... but yes, DS is one of the few who would install your sent-in components/chassis.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by txfeinbergs

Thanks for the review. I ran into the Noctua out of stock issue when I ordered yesterday also and went with the Corsair A70. I had researched everything very closely, except this decision I had to make at the spur of the moment since I was not anticipating the out of stock issue, and Digital Storm was on the phone. The A70 seems like a fair alternative to the Noctua, except it seems the price should be a bit lower given you can get it on NewEgg for $49 whereas the Noctua is $20 more on Newegg, but both are the same price at Digital Storm.

Once you get your rig, drop us a note and let us know if you think the A70 is noticeable audible or not.

I know it isn't as quiet as the NH-U12P, but I'm curious to know whether it gets to the point of being annoying or not.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 5:38pm
I sure hope it won't be annoying - that would really suck! I don't mind (and I actually expect) the system to make some noise while playing a game, but I do want the system to be pretty quite when I am just working. (excel, email, web, etc).

As far as the sound card goes - yes, they are very easy to install, but the reason I wanted DS to install it is I want it in the system while it undergoes stress/heat testing so I can be absolutely sure I am going to get a rock solid system with cableing / airflow set up the best possible way. Why not take advantage of the fact that they are willing to do it!

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 5:40pm
Not to hi-jack the thread, but here is my system's specs that I ordered yesterday:

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI 3 Edition (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) (Model: 131-GT-E767) System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended) Expansion Bay: - No Thanks Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance) Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections) Video Card(s): !PROMOTION: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB Add-on Card: - No Thanks Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (i7 Processors Only) H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)

Enhancements: - No Thanks

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

Noise Reduction: - No Thanks

CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended) Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s) Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD) Virus Protection: - No Thanks

Office: - No Thanks

Benchmarking: - No Thanks

Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks

Display: - No Thanks

Surge Shield: - No Thanks

Speakers: - No Thanks

Keyboard: - No Thanks

Mouse: - No Thanks

External Storage: - No Thanks

Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large) Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Sub-Total: $2,449.00

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 5:51pm
By the way DragoonSeal, the hardest thing I had to decide on was which SSD to go with. I know your stance on SSD's i.e. Intel, Intel, Intel, but there is a really good price on the Force Series SSD 120 Gig drive that DS has right now and their specs seem so much better than the Intel drives (I know, compression might influence those specs). I was just about to go with it when I found out that the firmware in these drives is problematic. Both Patriot and Corsair drives BSOD and loose track of the drive if you let the system sit idle overnight. There are tons of posts all over both Partiot's and Corsair's forums. Apparently this bug has been going on for about 4 months now.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 6:13pm
"Intel, Intel, Intel."
- Dragoonseal
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
 Post Reply Post Reply