Just Wondering...

Post Date: 2021-10-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Beosaevio View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Beosaevio Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Just Wondering...
    Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 7:15pm
I have an idea for a gaming lounge. Not an Esports LAN cafe, as the demand here would probably not warrant the infrastructure required to run such a place.

My idea: A wall of 8-10 Digital Storm gaming PC's (yes, I will be buying them from you, because you ROCK!), two xbox lounge areas, two Playstation lounge areas, a wall of retro gaming systems (NES, SNES, GameCubes, etc.) tables for board games, four VR stations, Coffee bar area with tables for chilling with friends, PC and console accessories for sale, tabletop games, manga, comics, etc.

I live in a smallish town in southern Oklahoma halfway between Oklahoma City and Dallas. There is NOTHING like this within 75 miles of here.

It will be at least a year, maybe longer, before I can make this into a reality, because I am a full time caregiver for my dad, and he can't be left alone for longer than it takes to run an errand or two. (Even then, he can sometimes manage to get into trouble!)

My question is this, if you managed to stick with me this long... am I crazy to think this just might actually be a business that makes a living? I don't want to get rich, just make a decent living. Initial investment would be around $100,000.00, unless I'm WAY off on cost estimates.

Thoughts?

p.s. I also need a name for it...
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 3:52pm
Beosaevio,

First a few name suggestions:

Gamer's Paradise
Lag Free Zone
Lethal Gaming

The best names an old 69 year old Gamer can come up with. Much respect on the business venture and it sound like you got everything from the hottest fastest new stuff to the old school games that I grew up on. Need Pong for us old guys, invaders would be a plus too.

I am using a 12 year old DS now that I only had to replace a fan in twice over all these years. I have a new one ordered as you can see in my sig block. My 12 Yr old Digital Storm just has a i7 2.6 OCed to 3.6 with an original Titan GPU and 12 MB RAM. I do have a Fatal1ty sound card that I love for music and gaming.

I am looking forward to my new system coming one of these days. It is in Stage 3 now. I hope it games a little faster.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 1:27am
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

In the work of making your idea a reality, you must include what will be your costs (rent, taxes, utilities, compliance, etc., to name a few that readily come to mind) and if your potential market will provide the required revenues to cover those expenses ( how much do the many systems have to bring in per hour, for instance) ,you will be your own boss!
Good luck. Smile
Beosaevio View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Beosaevio Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 5:16am
Thank you so much for the replies! I was beginning to think I had somehow botched the posting!

I'm working on the financial aspects of it now, trying to determine the approximate operating costs will be, and how I can set up pricing that will be affordable and still adequately cover the taxes, licensing, fees, maintenance, etc. It is daunting, but I have learned SO much from reading blogs in the industry.

Business is booming for this overseas, but it hasn't caught on as well here. I'm hoping that by diversifying the playing options that will entice people to come in, and offering memberships which will significantly discount the VR time while giving hours of "free" access to the consoles and PC's, it might get enough traction to make the rest of it work.

Thanks also for the name suggestions! I like Lag Free Zone a lot! Thinking of calling it The Dragon's Den, but my son also came up with The Broken Controller. I don't know yet. May have to do a naming contest! LOL

Thank you again for the responses!

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 10:24am
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 5:02am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 9:29am
Good luck in your venture. E-sports is huge in Asia. Remember us when you reach celebrity status.
Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply