Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
veddy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote veddy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: krypton desktop replacement
    Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 6:36pm
Budget:
Under 3200

Expectations:
I'm not picky. If it kicks the snot out of my 4 year old AMD rig, I'll be happy. I plan to play really heavy games on it such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, the new COD, and a few others.

Usage:
Stated above.

Special Needs:
SSD + hard drive (2 separate drives).

Saved Ticket #:1087886
Specifications:
Would prefer it how it's currently set up but am open to suggestions. This computer will be bought in early February of next year.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:19pm
Looks pretty good to me.

Based on my experience so far with my Krypton, I would suggest going for an SSD on the second drive instead.  With some heavily modded games I get long load times on my 750GB drive.  Don't know if you're going to do a lot of modding, but if so, that'd be my suggestion.
Tor View Drop Down

Quote Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 2:49am
I agree the build is pretty solid. Personally i haven't experienced many load times off the 750GB drive, but I'm not running mod heavy. The upgrade to the 850 PRO is good. The extra battery and charger are unnecessary , but if youre willing to spend the money feel free to buy the extras. Speaking from experience the Targus messenger bag is a tight fit for any 17" laptop, but it works pretty well overall. 
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Tor

...The extra battery and charger are unnecessary , but if youre willing to spend the money feel free to buy the extras...

Agreed that extra battery and especially the extra charger are unnecessary.

Could use the money to go to a 512GB 850 Pro?  That way you'd have room to install certain games on the SSD that might otherwise have longer load times.  Looks like you left yourself some headroom in the $3200 budget as well, so this might be a good move.
veddy View Drop Down

Quote veddy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Roykirk

Originally posted by Tor

...The extra battery and charger are unnecessary , but if youre willing to spend the money feel free to buy the extras...
Agreed that extra battery and especially the extra charger are unnecessary.Could use the money to go to a 512GB 850 Pro?  That way you'd have room to install certain games on the SSD that might otherwise have longer load times.  Looks like you left yourself some headroom in the $3200 budget as well, so this might be a good move.

Hey guys! Thanks for the quick and helpful responses! Is there a specific timeframe that the batteries last for that makes a spare unnecessary? I normally build my machines but I have no experience building a laptop system and I want to make sure it lasts. I had considered the 512gb 850 pro. Nice to know that I'm not the only one who likes bigger drives.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by veddy

...Is there a specific timeframe that the batteries last for that makes a spare unnecessary? I normally build my machines but I have no experience building a laptop system and I want to make sure it lasts. I had considered the 512gb 850 pro. Nice to know that I'm not the only one who likes bigger drives.

You're not going to want to game on battery as the Nvidia cards will downclock automatically, so I don't feel an extra battery is needed—unless you plan to do a lot of non-gaming tasks on a battery.  In that case it might be useful.  My Krypton hasn't got the greatest battery life even when not gaming.  1 1/2 to 2 hours on battery, enough for a relatively short movie and that's it.  With a gaming laptop, you're going to be on AC power most of the time.

In fact, you say "desktop replacement" in your subject, which to me means you're going to be using it the same way I use mine: like a desktop that I can easily carry place to place, but still will hook up to power when I arrive.

If that's not what you're planning to do, then give us a few more details about your intended uses and locations, and we can tweak our recommendations.
veddy View Drop Down

Quote veddy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 4:45pm
That would explain things. Thank you again guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply