FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lag issues just appeared in games on SSD

Post Date: 2015-12-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vicarious Reality View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vicarious Reality Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lag issues just appeared in games on SSD
    Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 3:09pm
Hello everyone,

I have had my new Hailstorm II for about two months now.  My favorite game, and one I play with a large group is Arma 3.  When I got the new rig, I was playing with all settings maxed out and it was smooth as silk.

A few weeks ago that all of a sudden changed.  Now I get brief spurts of lag that remind me of resources loading from the drive.  I have an intel 750 series installed by DS when I got the PC.  Occasionally I will play, and the lag will get so bad it seems like the game has frozen.

The only games I have on the SSD are Arma 2, and Arma 3.  The rest of my games are on an HDD.  The Arma games have just developed this lag/stuttering.

I have verified all my drivers are up to date.  Never had any issues with anything other than the Logitech G930 headphones turning on and off every few seconds - but that's not hardly an uncommon thing with those.

I have checked the drive for errors, and there were none found.  I have trimmed the drive once a week since I got the PC.

Anyone have ANY idea what could have caused this to literally just come out of nowhere?  I am not having any issues in Windows (which is on the SSD) or on non SSD games.  Could it be some other issue than the SSD I might need to look into?

I'm at my wits end and really annoyed, as I am missing game time with my group.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 3:16pm
What graphics card do you have? I would run HWMONITOR , free download, and make sure your card, and CPU cores, aren't getting too hot.   Too high a temp can cause them to throttle down.    

Run Verify Cache in a Steam to check for any file issues.   To eun Verify, right click the game, Properties, Local Files and then Verfify.

Use Task Manager to make sure nothing else is runnung in the background, hogging resources.   

Good luck.

Quote Vicarious Reality Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 3:32pm
I am running 2 GTI 980 Ti on the DC liquid cooling.  I did the Steam checks, and looked in task manager.  I am using a total of 17% of my 32GB memory, and a peak of 30% of my CPU. 

DS Control Center says the GPUs are at 30c on average, and the CPU is at 34c average when gaming.  I can verify with that other software though.

It hardly seems like the PC has ever really had to work too hard at all, and that's what surprised me when this just started happening.

Here are my specs in case that might help:

Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X at 4.5GHz
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i
 SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Asus XB270UH G-Sync monitor

All liquid cooled (processor, GPUs) on Digital Storm's system - which rocks by the way.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 3:47pm
Your temps and resources are great.

The game is known to run crappy even on high end systems. Poor optimization. But it did run for you at some point. Any chance it started after your latest 980ti driver update?   Try disabling sli in Nvidia CP.

Some games a few years back had a bad habit of not cleaning temp user files. I can't nremember what file they were in, but deleting the file helped.   Maybe try a game reinstall.

Your rig should run pretty much anything.

It could be the drive but I would think that's a stretch, but never say never.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 1:00am
Originally posted by bprat22

Your rig should run pretty much anything.

+1

That is one sweet system.AwesomeStrong

Quote Vicarious Reality Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 8:56am
Thanks for the help - I tried running with SLI disabled and reinstalling the game - no luck.

Like I say - been VERY happy with the system. It shreds everything I have to throw at it. Just weird (and annoying) that all of a sudden Arma 3 started acting up.

Is there anything I can do/look for in regards to hardware to see if that might be an issue? Makes it easier to work with the Arma 3 developers if I know my own system is not the problem. I can't imagine that it is - but one never knows!

Thanks again for all the responses.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 9:48am
With your specs Strong the only blow-back a developer could try is...

Are the temps too high, causing throttling on cpu or gpu.....Yours are great.

Are resources too high, meaning are the cpu or gpu hitting 100% .  Task manager for cpu and ram and EVGA Precision for the cards can be used to check that.  Your ram and cpu and 980t's are top of the line.  Can't blame old hardware, bottleneck, etc.

Different gpu drivers... some can be the cause of various issues.

If its an online game, the servers and your connections can come into play. 

Most likely the answer will be a poorly optimized game or dated coding  that doesn't take advantage of what you have and there's nothing they can do. 

There's still the SSD question if the drive is slow in loading background, etc,.  Not sure Arma 3 would fall into that category.  Does the game load a lot of refresh scenes during game play or pre- load at start of game? 

If your other games play great, I'd say the game.   Lots of complaints online of it running great on one system but not so good on even better rigs.

If the game runs fine in single player but lousy online, then I would suspect the server.  maybe try another. 

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Dec 2015 at 10:01am

Quote Vicarious Reality Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 6:22am
Well everyone,

I finally figured out what it was. Steam Workshop had gone off the deep end, and was trying to constantly re-download some stuff I had subscribed to years ago. It was writing stuff to the drive and messing with Arma 3.   

Arma 3 is CPU intensive and pulls a lot of information constantly from the drive, hence why a fast processor and an SSD will take you 10x further than the latest greatest video cards in quad-SLI ever will with it.

I just randomly happened to have my resource monitor up on the second screen while testing for fixes when I noticed a lot of activity for "steam.exe" on the SSD. The activity spikes roughly matched the lag/stutter, so I started wondering. Steam randomly crashed with a workshop error, and that got me looking there. Unsubscribed everything, and I was back to 65+ FPS with everything maxed out at a 200% sampling rate again.

Figured I would share the fix here for anyone else who might come across it. That, and to say a big THANK YOU to everyone that posted here helping me troubleshoot and brainstorm.

P.S. - shameless plug here ... Digital Storm built me one hell of a PC! Buy yours now! LOL
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 6:28am
Congrats on excellent detective work. AwesomeThanks for posting the problem and fix. Hope you keep getting problem free use of your great Strong system. I'm sure DS doesn't mind "shameless plugs"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 8:18am
Great to hear.  Thanks for the update.  Makes me wonder how many others that are complaining of it not running well have the same issue. 

Was it Task manager you used to monitor resources? 

Quote Vicarious Reality Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 7:50pm
Yes, the resource monitor on Task Manager. It's at the bottom of the screen. It's useful for monitoring the activity of your CPU, RAM and Disks.

This is what I was using:

http://028499.com/how-to-use-the-resource-monitor-in-windows-10/

It was pretty helpful. Without it, I am not sure I would have made the connection between Steam and my SSD.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 2:24am
well done! Thanks for the heads up on the fix.

Edited by Snaike - 25 Dec 2015 at 2:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply