Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RMasters View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RMasters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Laptop Cooling Pad Advise
    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 11:02am
Hello everybody,

I did not really find any other sub-forum more appropriate, so I try it hear.

Can anybody give me some real experience advise on a good laptop cooling pad? I had one for many years, it died, and I don't seem to be able to get the same one again.

I have some of the original Dell XPS's (17"), they are known for their overheating issues. I usually keep the door covering the graphic card open, which helps too.

Any valuable input is greatly appreciated. I can get one of those pads with 6 fans and just give it a try, but am rather going with expert advise.

Cheers!

GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 11:21am
I have seen multiple posts on the internet such as this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/looking-for-a-real-powerful-laptop-cooling-pad.772830/

From my experience with gaming laptops, there is limited benefit to using the cooling pad. The real issue are the thermal cooling restraints on the laptop itself. For example, you buy a Dell laptop with a 9980HK, there is nothing you can do to get sustained all-core overclock on that machine before thermal throttling brings it down. This is also the reason that laptop GPus are power limited via the VBIOS.

Running the laptop at moderately high temperatures (e.g., 80-90 C) will neither hurt your laptop or significantly show up as a performance decrease. The CPU and GPU are designed to throttle on high temperature. If you are consistently getting temps in the 100s, you run the risk of premature PCB failure(e.g., capacitors).

If you are concerned over laptop temps, I would try first to undervolt. If that is not enough, you can always underclock.

Laptop cooling pads are not the answer.
RMasters View Drop Down

Quote RMasters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:26am
Thank you for your response.

I was trying to stay away from post on the web, they are mostly useless.

Thus I appreciate your input, the link refers to just one like this, ads, links, talks, but noting specific.

The cooling pad I used to have for my PC laptop worked fine, it lowered the temperature quite a bit, never had any issues with either CPU or GPU reaching upper limits. This is for my day-to-day gaming and was always working good.

For professional gaming I have a professional computer (nothing you can buy 'online'), obviously there are not such issues. :-)

Thanks anyway. I guess I will go ahead and get one after another and hope one will be a decent one.

Don't worry, I don't buy cheap 'eBay' or 'Amazon' stuff and then complain, am way better than that.

Cheers!

Edited by RMasters - 04 Jun 2020 at 4:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply