FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laptop Suggestions Please

Post Date: 2016-05-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MdTnVol View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MdTnVol Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Laptop Suggestions Please
    Posted: 02 May 2016 at 5:34pm

1. Your Budget: 2500 or under, initially didn't want to go that high. Plan on ordering very soon

2. Expectations: I want this to be a laptop that will last me for a bit, hopefully not need upgrading too soon and will need to be able to be somewhat mobile with it. Be able to game without bogging it down too much. Want it to last me through grad school, so for the next 2 years or more. All will be online

3. Usage: How are you planning to use this computer? Use for Grad school and what ever fun that brings Confused along with some gaming such as Battlefield Hardline, TC Siege, COD etc.

4. Special Needs: Not sure if I want the 15 or 17 as price is not that much different. Know some weight and size diff along with battery life. Leaning toward the 15. 
Some of the other is covered above and I want something good, fun, reliable and somewhat future proof. Here is what I am looking at. Just wish I could hit this when they have a deal but classes start later this month. If it is too much for what I need................
Is calibration worth it?
 Same with paste

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Avon 15.6 Inch Laptop (Model: S:9758)
Display: NVIDIA G-Sync - 15.6 Inch (1920 x 1080) IPS LED-Backlit Display (Anti-glare)
Screen Calibration: - No Thanks
Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Thermal Compound: Stock CPU and GPU Thermal Compound
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz
Storage / Connectivity
mSATA SSD: - No Thanks
Storage Drive 1: SSD - 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
Storage Drive 2: Hard Disk - 1TB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Wireless Card: Killer Dual Band Wireless-AC 1535 + Bluetooth (M.2 Socket)
Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB (NVIDIA G-Sync + NVIDIA Battery Boost)
Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office Suite: - No Thanks
Accessories / Goodies
Cooling Pad: - No Thanks
Extra Charger: - No Thanks
Extra Battery: - No Thanks
Carry Bag: - No Thanks
Audio: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2016 at 4:58pm
You've got a pretty solid machine there.  Looks like the Level 3 of the Avon with no changes?

I created this configuration #1410038 that's slightly different.  I added the better thermal compound as I think with laptops every degree of heat you can remove is important; changed the 250GB SSD boot drive to a 256GB M.2 drive—this frees up a bay so that you can add another SSD later for all those games you're going to accumulate that will run a lot better on an SSD than the mechanical drive you have as the data one when they overflow your boot drive; and also downgraded the processor a bit as you probably don't need the overclockable proc, though you could go for the 6600K if you want overclocking.

You definitely want the 980M, the best graphics card you can get, so that's good.  I wouldn't worry about monitor calibration unless you're very sensitive to needing accurate color reproduction.  You're already doing well in that department with the Avon having the IPS display.

Things like upping the RAM to 32GB and adding that second SSD can wait till later and do it on your own if necessary.  16GB is the current good balance for PCs and should work fine for you for a good while to come.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:51pm
you are paying for an IPS screen, so i assume accurate color reproduction is important to you.  if you don't have your own equipment to calibrate it then it might not be a bad idea to have DS do it, as long as they document what they did and what equipment and testing methodology they use, and how much they want for the service.   if this was a TN panel i'd say skip it.  you can also try to find a profile online for the display and just use it.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply