FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laptop wireless card opinions.

Post Date: 2012-10-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ZRX1200Rider View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ZRX1200Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Laptop wireless card opinions.
    Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 1:52pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the current wireless LAN cards currently offered by DS? Thinking of getting my son a gaming laptop and was wondering which card is a favorite here amongst the DS community. The contenders:

Intel Advanced-N 6230
Intel Ultimate-N 6300
Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1202
Black Ops Assassin
2600K 4.4ghz OC @ 1.36v
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Corsair HX1050
Intel 320 SSD 120GB
WD Caviar Black 500GB
GTX 570HD 1.2GB
Corsair A70
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 11:07am
All three you listed is dual band which is great. Asssuming your router works on the 5GHz band, then you'll have much less interference. The difference is whether you want bluetooth built in or not.

I do have the Bigfoot Killer 1103 which is pretty much the same as the 1202 without bluetooth. The only issue with Bigfoot is you can't get "just" the driver; you have to install the manager application with it. No big deal....it's just one more process running in the background. Also, their driver support is a bit suspect. I would stay with the driver that is supplied with your disc. If you can't run iTunes, then update off the Killer site. That said, I have the Killer and I do like it. Very stable and I very seldom drop a connection or experience in game lag.

The Intel cards are proven technology and one can make a case that the hardware is similar, just the software seperates them. Cost differences is small enough not to be a factor.

In my opinion, the Killer N-1202 is a great card and works as advertised.
 Post Reply Post Reply