Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ScotchWhisky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ScotchWhisky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Laptops
    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 5:57pm
Just kind of curious, how come Digital Storm no longer builds high powered laptops?  When I got my Krypton 6.5 years ago, there were three base laptops and mine was $3k...  others could get $4k+.  Now there is only one base laptop and has been this way for a few years now?  All I can assume is that mobile gaming has killed gaming enough to where the only ones who want a device for gaming (besides their phone) are hardcore gamers.  And those gamers just buy desktops...
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 7:08pm
The gaming laptop community is extremely competitive with lots of different options being offered by a lot of different vendors. Margins are extremely thin. The majority of gaming laptop vendors are essentially system integrators building off of Clevo or Tongfang chasses. In the end, all gaming laptops will be thermally constrained. Consider some laptops which offer either a desktop CPU or even a 9980HK, and an RTX 2080. I guarantee that these laptops are unable to sustain rated core clocks for very long before thermal/power limit throttling takes over.

I have a Clevo P870TM-R and it is a giant, heavy beast I can't carry around. Doing any kind of maintenance such as replacing thermal paste is not a problem on the larger laptops, but is extremely drawn out on the "thin and lights" everyone seems to pine for.

Mobile gaming on phones or tablets will never really compete with either consoles or PCs. The next arena could be cloud gaming where all you need is an internet connection. But, that pathway has a number of hoops to cross before becoming widely accepted.

To be honest, I packed up my P870 when I bought my Lumos. It got really old listening to a gas turbine while playing games.
ScotchWhisky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScotchWhisky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by GrandesBollas

The gaming laptop community is extremely competitive with lots of different options being offered by a lot of different vendors. Margins are extremely thin. The majority of gaming laptop vendors are essentially system integrators building off of Clevo or Tongfang chasses. In the end, all gaming laptops will be thermally constrained. Consider some laptops which offer either a desktop CPU or even a 9980HK, and an RTX 2080. I guarantee that these laptops are unable to sustain rated core clocks for very long before thermal/power limit throttling takes over.

I have a Clevo P870TM-R and it is a giant, heavy beast I can't carry around. Doing any kind of maintenance such as replacing thermal paste is not a problem on the larger laptops, but is extremely drawn out on the "thin and lights" everyone seems to pine for.

Mobile gaming on phones or tablets will never really compete with either consoles or PCs. The next arena could be cloud gaming where all you need is an internet connection. But, that pathway has a number of hoops to cross before becoming widely accepted.

To be honest, I packed up my P870 when I bought my Lumos. It got really old listening to a gas turbine while playing games.

I do believe the Krypton's were Clevo chassis'.  Out of curiosity, are Alienwares Tongfang chassis?  One thing I have never liked about my Krypton is how they used a 15" keyboard on a 17" laptop.  Something Alienware and Gateway (at least the Gateway I got in 2008) never did.  The latter two have full keyboards.

My Krypton is a beast and lugging it through the airport has never been fun, though I've done it numerous times.  It's probably hard on it and probably contributes to it taking 1-25+ tries to get it to boot up.  The TSA workers often comment on how big of a laptop it is. 

With all that, I think that is the point.  Mobile phones will never take over PCs or consoles, but it seems gaming purists will choose one of those two over laptops as laptops are no longer that necessary.  They are now the middle ground no one needs.  Whereas in the mid 2000s, laptops were the tablets of the time.
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:17am
No. Alienawares are their design. That is why we have been seeing a huge number of issues with the heat sink design on the 17R3s and 4s. I agree with the less than adequate keyboard design on the Clevos. The keys are too close together and really don't have much play.

One thing I will say about the Clevos is that they are extremely easy to disassemble and repair on your own. The thin and light variety have inverted motherboards that require complete disassembly just to get to the heat sinks.
 Post Reply Post Reply