LC'ing 470s

Post Date: 2010-08-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: LC'ing 470s
    Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 7:28pm
Having  some slight difficulties in selecting components for a GPU upgrade. Mainly for a H.T. setup, with a 1920x1200 (not 100% confirmed res, may be higher, i dunno). Anyways, that means I'm looking at a double 470 build.

Here's the things I'm having trouble with

- Picking a card. I was originally considering to just grab one of Gigabyte's cards, the GV-N470UD-13I model (dunno, it's part of Gigabyte's "Ultra Durable" line, supposed to use better parts. Not priced as a premium, might as well give it a shot). However, recently, I was starting to consider EVGA's Hydro Copper version. The main advantage that I see with it is that the waterblock seems to have a few heatspreader fins on it as well, and it might benefit my usage since I'll have a 180mm high-volume fan directed at both cards. You think it'll be any effective? Additionally, the card has a custom single slot form factor, and it's in a nice color. Only thing that stinks is the price.

Partts
- How much flow rate would you recommend (pretty much, what pump should I get)? I'll likely be using a swiftech res/rad, and obviously, double 470s. The 470 block I'm looking at is [urhttp://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ekwaekgtxnia.htmlthis one[/url] from EK. Also, note that the EVGA Hydro Copper is powered by Swiftech, I'm assuming that's gonna need some hefty flow?
- Compression vs. Clamp?
- How would you drain off a loop to say, RMA a faulty card, while the loop has no quick releases?
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 9:08am
The hydro copper, is not a full coverage block, so not worth it.

HT setup with 2 cards? HT gaming I hope? lol
The flow rate? higher the better.
One loop or two?
to drain, you pull the hose off the fitting, and put th hose in a bowl/glass.  remove the hose from the lowest part of the PC as possible, just like when starting up a LQ PC, always have lots of towels handy.
I have built water cooled PC's with drain valves, but the expense, and hassle is maybe worht it?  lol Since that build I have not installed drain valves again.
Pump selection, noise level is a biggy, the top pumps are loud, the jingway 1200 is silent, and i run two of them in every loop. the flow is great with 2 and they are quiet, and there is redundancy, so if one fails, the system will still be ok. 2 of them is about $100, and one DDC 3.25 is 75+ top 25= $100.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 4:34pm
H.T. gaming's gonna be me rig's new job, lol. Going to designate a single hard drive out of the 2 i'm gonna have to swap between a lappy, lappy's handling most regular work.

One loop preferred, price is a big issue.

can you direct me to where I can get jingway pumps...?
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 6:43pm
hm, you know, actually. isn't that jingway 1200 pretty close to this Danger Den pump?

Parts list as of now...$550 about. any way I can possibly shrink the price without killing functionality...?

:: EDITED LIST ::

GPU Blocks - EK-FC470 GTX (Nickel-Acetal) (2x, $220)

Radiator - Swiftech MCR320 w/Res ($76)

Rad Fans - Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1150 RPM (3x, $43)

Pump - Danger Den DD-CPX Pro (Jingway 1200 look-alike?) ($57)

SLI Fittings - Bitspower Crystal Link (2 pairs, $30)

Compression Fittings - Enyotech Compression (2x, $14), Koolance 45 Degree compression (2x, $22), Bitspower 90 Degree Compression (2x, $34). ((Total - $70)

Tube - Feser Active UV Blue Hose, 1/2ID 3/4OD (~8 feet needed, buying 9 feet) ($27)

Coolant - Distilled water, will get later

Additives - Silver KillCoil ($7)

Misc. - Kwikcut Advance Tube Cutter ($15)

Misc. - UV Cathode Pair ($10)

Total - $555

oh, one more thing. you think it'd be worth waiting to see how much the cards from POV/TGT would cost? they're supposedly working on one helluva 470/480 water cooled series, with some sort of new cooling block, read here

Edited by ablahblah - 25 Aug 2010 at 11:29pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 10:58pm

if you order that pump from Danger Den, it will come in a Jingway box. lol you will find that very few people make goods, just other companies re-badging them.

I would not use Feser fluid, or Feser blocker, just wasting money there.

lol that POV/TGT  they can't even get a GTX 480 to a mild GTX 470 overclock speed LOL let alone a nice GTX 480.. what a joke. when the get a stable GTX 480 over 1000Mhz, maybe worth paying $20-$30.00 extra for the card, but for such a tiny overclock..
the 1150 RPM fans, with 2 GTX 470's will be pushing it, no way to run CPU on that loop.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 11:03pm
eh, the feser fluid's supposed to be distilled water, not really non-conductive premix coolant, isn't it? I really don't know where would be the easiest place to pick up some distilled water myself, so I thought it might be an easier option.

for the blocker, what the heck is it even supposed to be protecting from corrosion?

not planning on including CPU in the loop actually, I'll keep it on air like the case was designed to do. it's already hitting a nice 3.724 mark with a solo fan, I wanna see how far I can get on double fans. by the way, for CPU overclocking, i7 specifically, it's really just a matter of finding a perfect combination through voltage tweaking, BCLK tweaking, and stress testing, or is it more than that?

Edited by ablahblah - 25 Aug 2010 at 11:08pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 11:09pm
distilled water is non-conducive.  grocery stores have it. $1.00-$3.00.. per gallon  when I do a serious amount of water cooling work, flushing, ect. I get them in 5 gallon jugs. lol
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 11:17pm
well, that slashes $16 off. $550 now!

what about the rest of the loop...? anything else you think I can possibly get a better price point on...

also, the loop I was planning on would go like this...
1. external radiator/res (standard compression fitting) thru passthrough, to compression fitting on danger den pump inlet.
2. pump outlet (90 degree compression fitting, aimed slightly up) (fitting makes it so the pump inlet/outlet ports face the same direction) to gpu block (45 degree compression aiming down to pump)
3. GPU blocks exchange fluid through SLI connectors.
4. GPU Outlet through other end of first block (45 degree compression fitting aimed the same way as the other), GPU outlet tube wraps around GPU inlet tube , turns back toward passthroughs. (i'd wrap it around the first tube to prevent the tube from free-floating, and otherwise possibly coming in contact with any PCB or cooler on the way back)
5. Tube passes through rubber passthrough, twists to radiator inlet (90 degree compression on radiator)

oh, and wait, that means I only need...2 standard compression, 2 90 degrees, and 2 45 degrees...
$536 now.

:: EDIT :: completely miscalculated! $555 now

my original goal was $400. lol.

Edited by ablahblah - 25 Aug 2010 at 11:30pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 4:16am
So how much have you wasted on your rig so far ablahblah?

And how much more is to come?
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 4:37pm
i haven't actually BOUGHT anything yet, besides the CPU cooler because that was somewhat urgent. if you've watching my posts, i've been posting about potential upgrades for maybe 3~4 months now. basically, was just premeditating what was possibly good for the money, and I'm getting around the point where I'm gonna start actually getting some of this stuff. I do a serious shedload of research on what i possibly buy before i really do anything, lol.

LC is already a last-resort option for me, I really don't WANT to do it, since it's gonna wreak hell against my original planned budget area. again, though, premeditating average costs of most options i have first. I'll be starting out with just a $18 swap for the high-flow bracket from EVGA, see how that does. should be interesting with the fans encountering significantly lower difficulty making air exit from the 90 degree rotation and an air penetrator feeding the fans.

i've been trying to tune this thing back to a well-balanced machine, compared to that badly balanced comp that I originally started out with. the only thing i've done so far is swap fans, and the cpu cooler. the things i already had in the firing line was a seriously needed GPU upgrade, another final fan swap to actually make the airflow in a RV01 effective, since it actually isn't REALLY effective right now as it should be, and a sound card since I'm actually going to be using this thing in a H.T. setup instead of a desk setup. H.T. was because I was moving to a new place. I lost all the furniture, monitor, nice things I had at home, for reasons I really don't wanna discuss openly. So, I have to get new stuff. Figured if I was already getting a fresh basement, might as well turn it into a H.T., and I'm replacing this laptop soon anyways, why not dedicate the rig to H.T. and use the laptop for desk and on the go. makes sense to me, if it really seems like a "waste" to you, feel free to tell me why.

Edited by ablahblah - 26 Aug 2010 at 5:09pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply