Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lets try this again :]
    Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:22pm
Hey guys I am new to these forums and gaming computers altogether so I figured I would ask you guys for a little help.

I recently decided to get back into computer gaming but the market has grown so much I am a bit lost. What I am really looking for is some help on what model to get and what upgrades to go with it.

Here is a few things to give you an idea what I'm working with.

1. This computer will be strictly be for gaming.

2. I want to try to keep my budget below 1400-1500

3. I will be playing a lot of the new games that come out.

4.I'm not looking for something too big but I can work around the size.

5.I would like to keep the noise level down as most of the time I am on the computer is early mornings and late nights.

Here is a few games I plan to play. Fallout 3, Crysis 1&2, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Dragon Age, Starcraft 2, Supreme Commander, etc etc.

Thats all I can think of at the moment but if you have any questions for me go ahead and ask.

Thanks for the help guys!
-Trevor

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:24pm
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=431861
boom

you could scrape down a little lower, but most of the things you could do to save the last $20-30 would hurt you more than the difference in money, the system has a lot of power for its price range

30 second response?
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:26pm
Wow, you actually just blew my mind right there.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:28pm
Pfft, two minute response.

Plus you knew he was coming because he posted in the wrong forum area first. Hahaha
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:29pm
hahahahhaa Ninja
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:30pm
Yes this is true.

I am looking over the computer and it looks like jibberish to me. I have no idea what half of it means, haha. The Army didn't teach me computers
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:35pm
Well if it makes you feel any better, for the budget you won't really be able to do any better, especially for a gaming machine.

The next better video card costs a good bit more so that would bump the price up.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:38pm
Yeah I looked through some of the prices and they get pretty steep. Actually just to fund this computer build I had to take the ACOG off of my AR build. Hopefully its worth it in the end.

In your opinion how well do you think that computer will run a high end game? Also how long before I would have to start upgrading parts to keep up with games coming out?
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:42pm
i mean... if you arent super picky about having the absolute highest settings on your games, this should last you 2-3 years easy, even at 1920x1080

that system is almost exactly what i have, so if you need any help tweaking, overclocking, etc you can always come back and ask for help, i support any member of the service any way i can, tons of respect for you sir

Edited by !ender_ - 13 Aug 2010 at 3:42pm
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:44pm
the computer he made is great for the budget the gpu he selected is great for the 1680 x resolutions if you go higher in resolution you will have to turn down settings. this can run most of the games you selected on highest setting with very good fps games like crysis and crysis 2 for ex you will have to turn down settings to med-high instead of highest since they eat up gpu power like crazy.

usually for a budget this size i would recommend ati graphics since they are a cheaper and relativly the same performance, how ever the 400 series beats the 5000 series on most things anywhere from 10-20%. also if you plan on using tools like aa/af the nvidia products deal a lot better with it due to better tessilation... for ex 1680 x res high settings with 4x/aa -1 fps, 8x aa another -1, 16x aa another -1 while the ati counterparts lose more fps. and same thing for 1920 x res.

Edited by Raif - 13 Aug 2010 at 3:51pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:45pm
Thank you! I really appreciate the help and kind words. I'm glad I came here first before just jumping in and buying a computer I knew nothing about.
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Raif

the computer he made is great for the budget the gpu he selected is great for the 1680 x resolutions if you go higher in resolution you will have to turn down settings

Right. Here is a question I have. I am pretty sure this doesn't come with a computer screen or anything, so I was planning on just hooking it up to my TV through HDMI. Would this work well for a 46 in TV? Or should I invest in an actual computer screen?
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:53pm
eh, the tv will work, but it wont give you near the picture quality of a monitor, you can get a pretty decent monitor for $150ish
if thats over your budget, id use the tv for a bit, then buy a monitor when you have a little money left over
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:54pm
that is one thing i know nothing about to be honest, although you get much better performance for gaming on monitors over tvs from what i hear. somone else will come alogn to answer that question. whats great about here is that if one person doesn't know the next around the corner does. we are a group of fans/ customers who help out future customers. that says something about the product you buy here other wise people wouldn't waste their time helping  others for free
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:01pm
i believe unless you have somerhing special that a tv defaults to a pretty low res, im not really sure what res...
heres a decent idea

but hey, the hdmi connection will work so try it first, if its no go, come back and we will look around for some monitors. no reason to buy something like than on an assumption
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by !ender_

eh, the tv will work, but it wont give you near the picture quality of a monitor, you can get a pretty decent monitor for $150ish
if thats over your budget, id use the tv for a bit, then buy a monitor when you have a little money left over

This is probably what I will do. The money is coming straight for my bonus so I met have money left over I just have to wait it out and see. The problem I am having is my love for shooting and gaming are coming together and causing a bit of a problem, haha. I have to make a compromise somewhere.
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:05pm

that is one thing i know nothing about to be honest, although you get much better performance for gaming on monitors over tvs from what i hear. somone else will come alogn to answer that question. whats great about here is that if one person doesn't know the next around the corner does. we are a group of fans/ customers who help out future customers. that says something about the product you buy here other wise people wouldn't waste their time helping  others for free

I am really impressed with this company, forum, and its members. I'll have to spend some time here and pick your brains.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:09pm
that's what we are here for, if you think of any other questions don't hesitate to ask
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:09pm

i believe unless you have somerhing special that a tv defaults to a pretty low res, im not really sure what res...
heres a decent idea

but hey, the hdmi connection will work so try it first, if its no go, come back and we will look around for some monitors. no reason to buy something like than on an assumption

I was actually looking at one of these a week or so ago. It wouldn't hurt my budget much to go over and buy that. Gonna have to wait and see.

This might be a dumb question but I am going to ask anyways. This whole set up comes with a keyboard, mouse, and all the necessary hook ups? Or will I have to buy those separate as well?
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:19pm
nope, all you get is a tower and a plug for the wall, anything else is not included.
it is interenet ready so all you have to do is plug in your ethernet cable, other than that, the monitor/mouse/headphones/speakers are all up to you
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:20pm
not a dumb question the giants of pc usa usually include them but here no. it would be better if you bought them your self since you would have to pay individual shipping on each item.

mouse i would recommend a razer one. razer lachessis, copperhead, salmosa. they also have a configurator on their web site that will help you choose one for you based on size, shape, grip, ability to do macros, onboard memory ect. i do not know if these products are sold in your country but if they are you can then see and feel them in a electronics store and see if they are for you.

keyboards razer, logitech and saitek make good ones

with these items it is important to demo so you know how they feel, if you don't like the way they feel you wont be happy
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:21pm

nope, all you get is a tower and a plug for the wall, anything else is not included.
it is interenet ready so all you have to do is plug in your ethernet cable, other than that, the monitor/mouse/headphones/speakers are all up to you

Oh geez. Got any suggestions for those? And if I get this monitor for my set up I might need a computer desk, but space is kind of tight in my room. Any suggestions on where to look for a desk?
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:23pm
most computer desks found here in america are build very cheaply and tend to wobble around and even have cheaper add on like pc shelves that will break, your best bet is to have one custom made for you so you get what you want size wise ad well as strength. to get one of those you ened to find a furniture maker, i would recommend a glass top and wood or metal for the rest. the reason for the glass top is if you like to have a drink with you, you wont leave rings on the wood. also it looks cool, easy to clean but prone to scratching.

dso rigs are heavy... heavier then the pcs your used to

Edited by Raif - 13 Aug 2010 at 4:26pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:24pm

not a dumb question the giants of pc usa usually include them but here no. it would be better if you bought them your self since you would have to pay individual shipping on each item.mouse i would recommend a razer one. razer lachessis, copperhead, salmosa. they also have a configurator on their web site that will help you choose one for you based on size, shape, grip, ability to do macros, onboard memory ect. i do not know if these products are sold in your country but if they are you can then see and feel them in a electronics store and see if they are for you.keyboards razer, logitech and saitek make good oneswith these items it is important to demo so you know how they feel, if you don't like the way they feel you wont be happy

Thanks! I'll have to check some of the electronic stores around town. Maybe surf the web a little bit.

Once again thanks for putting up with me, haha. I am trying to get a good feel for price and space before I start ordering all of my things. I miss the days where I would I just go buy something and have it set up the next day.
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:26pm

most computer desks found here in america are build very cheaply and tend to wobble around and even have cheaper add on like pc shelves that will break, your best bet is to have one custom made for you so you get what you want size wise ad well as strengthdso rigs are heavy... heavier then the pcs your used to

Thats good to know actually. I need to start taking some measurements and moving things around.

Just a side note. I live in California :]

Edited by Gallows - 13 Aug 2010 at 4:26pm
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:29pm
oh sorry i must be confusing you with another thread i am working on.

http://www.razerzone.com

you can find all the models i told you about at a place like best buy to test them out
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:32pm

ouch, that measn ca tax will get applied to your build, which will throw it over budget

also as far as the desk, the cheapies youll find in staples and stuff are worthless as was stated, you can build one for very low cost and i would suggest wood over glass for comfort and upkeep(and low cost), just get a coaster if you have sweaty drinks!
mouse and keyboard are all abbout preference, id suggest hitting up best buy and seeing what sorts of things you like before going to order, there are usually a lot of hands on displays
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:37pm
yeah ca tax is gonna be a killer, i would recoomend putting your build into your cart and calcing tax and shipping and seeing if it is ok for you, if not we may have to work somethings around... or your just gonna have to use your old desk, keyboard and mouse to save money until you can buy them

Edited by Raif - 13 Aug 2010 at 4:39pm
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:41pm

oh sorry i must be confusing you with another thread i am working on.http://www.razerzone.comyou can find all the models i told you about at a place like best buy to test them out

Nice. They have a lot of good products on there I'll have to check it out in depth.

I'll give you guys some background on myself since you have been so helpful, lets you guys know how much this is helping me.

I have been in the military for three years now and around this time last year I was gearing up for a deployment. During one of the training exercises I received a pretty nasty head injury. This has affected my life pretty dramatically. These days I have to deal with a lot of stress that comes with it. I lost a lot of my cognitive abilities and I need to keep my mind stimulated to regain it all. Video Games and computers in general have been a great tool in helping relieve the stress. It has also helped in restoring some of what I lost. My memory has improved, my reaction time, etc etc.

So once again thank you for all your help!
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:43pm
I'll make note of that. I have been running numbers on it and I should be ok. I might cut it a little close.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:50pm
wow thats f**king crazy but it sounds like you are at least able to and on the way to recovery.. ME orders to play video games doesnt sound all that bad!

the handy thing about mouse and keyboards is that if you are not picky you can get both for like $15, at the very least to hold you over until you decide on some nicer ones to buy. but plenty of people i game with use really cheap stuff and swear that its just as good, so its all about preference

are you planning to order all of this stuff at the same time?

instant satisfaction is a good way to shortchange yourself, so if it comes down to reducing the price on the build i would really suggest waiting a little and trying to get it when you can becuase really like i said any lower and you will really cut down the performance
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:53pm
i am sorry for your troubles, thankyou for your service to this country it is most appreciated i was going to join the af but in my senoir year of hs i sustained a knee injury and can not get in and out of the cockpit fast enough. there went my military career.

i also use gaming as a anti stress tool, some games have more puzzles in them then others so you may find something that is fun and helpful at the same time. stategy games would probably be good for your injury b/c they make you think. games liek that would be total war series and god view games like c&c, sc2 ect
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 5:05pm

wow thats f**king crazy but it sounds like you are at least able to and on the way to recovery.. ME orders to play video games doesnt sound all that bad!

the handy thing about mouse and keyboards is that if you are not picky you can get both for like $15, at the very least to hold you over until you decide on some nicer ones to buy. but plenty of people i game with use really cheap stuff and swear that its just as good, so its all about preference

are you planning to order all of this stuff at the same time?

instant satisfaction is a good way to shortchange yourself, so if it comes down to reducing the price on the build i would really suggest waiting a little and trying to get it when you can becuase really like i said any lower and you will really cut down the performance

It would be nice to order all at once. But we are talking a few weeks from now before I finalize anything. As far as mouses and keyboards go I don't need anything super high tech, something that does its job well and lasts. I don't want anything flimsy though, haha. My thought on things like this is buy equipment that is better than what your capable of, so there you are never limited by the equipment you use. Always room to improve.
Gallows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gallows Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 5:08pm

i am sorry for your troubles, thankyou for your service to this country it is most appreciated i was going to join the af but in my senoir year of hs i sustained a knee injury and can not get in and out of the cockpit fast enough. there went my military career.i also use gaming as a anti stress tool, some games have more puzzles in them then others so you may find something that is fun and helpful at the same time. stategy games would probably be good for your injury b/c they make you think. games liek that would be total war series and god view games like c&c, sc2 ect

Its unfortunate. I love the military and hope to get back into fighting shape. Its an uphill battle. You know you might be able to get a waiver, especially if a doctor gives you the go ahead. Plenty of ways to get around these things.

I play a lot of RTS, RPGs, but my heart and sole is with a good FPS. However, I don't enjoy them as much as I used to.

I just like video games and seeing how my shooting hobby gets expensive, games are a much better alternative.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 5:10pm
also keep in mind you need to get things like anti virus ect as well. and avg build time is 3-4 weeks so in that time you should pick up all the things you need to not waste any time.
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>