Lifetime Computer

Post Date: 2021-06-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lifetime Computer
    Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:35am
      I'm in my mid seventies and this will probably be the last computer I buy so I want it to be a good one.

After receiving and heeding much needed advice from Hoserator and Cretae, I may have my final build. I have a 12 year old DS computer and needed a new one for games, streaming video, research, VR, Oculus, and hopefully a new monitor with higher resolution.

I chose the components trying to build a Gen 4 unit that will stream video with no loading hangups, was VR ready etc., etc. I wanted to keep the price in the 5K to 6K range or better.

Will someone or two or twenty critique this build and tell me if I accomplished my goal or still need to make changes in the configuration of build number 3929293? Overkill is not a problem.

P.S. Just noticed my configuration number is a palindrome.

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 04 Jun 2021 at 9:38am
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:08pm
Wow, that is a big case, so you know. Strong

I know its a lot of money but I would splurge and go with the ROG Maximus XIII Hero (actually the Godlike IS the board for that chip but it is loco $$$$$$). The storage sets are your choice, I like the 980 PROs but that is just.....me.

And since you are going to keep it for a while, check out that the warranty is only 1 year parts.

Enjoy.
Smile
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 3:31am
Originally posted by hoserator

Wow, that is a big case, so you know. Strong
I know its a lot of money but I would splurge and go with the ROG Maximus XIII Hero (actually the Godlike IS the board for that chip but it is loco $$$$$$). The storage sets are your choice, I like the 980 PROs but that is just.....me.
And since you are going to keep it for a while, check out that the warranty is only 1 year parts.
Enjoy.
Smile

Thanks for your support Hoserator. you bring up new points I hadn't considered... what is the difference between the 3 motherboards? That is what makes one better than the others?

Thanks again for your input and fyi, I've had a Cooler Master HAF 932 case for 12 years so I'm used to big cases.
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 5:07am
I think it's fine as is. IMHO, the step all the way up to the Maximus is a bit pricy. It probably doesn't have any features you will NEED over the Asus Prime, but it will probably have better thermal management, and perhaps run a bit cooler overall. For solid peace of mind, it's better, but you never know for sure with electronics. Since it's in the budget, sure.

The storage you picked is so fast, you'll never feel like you missed out on anything IMHO, but if I'm reading this correctly, the 1TB 980 PRO is $31 cheaper(!) If that's right, get 2 of those. They are among the fastest around.

I'm 72 myself, so I get it.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:33am
Like Cretae states, the picks are fine and in fact in your pick the MSI option is a bit better.They are all solid and will serve you well.
Smile

The pricier models have more options if you are going to overclock and be pushing the hardware.
No worries.

Edited by hoserator - 05 Jun 2021 at 7:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply